The new crop of Canons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new Canons have arrived! Or at least have been announced. :)

For the DSLR people there are two new bodies:
- The 40D
- The 1Ds Mark III

Of the compacts, the most interesting to me are:
-SD870 - The replacement for the SD800, wide angle ultracompact, but they dropped the optical viewfinder! :( I'm going to have to grab an SD800 ASAP.
- SX100 - a new small ultrazoom, could be very nice all around hiking camera
- A650 - the follow up to the A630/40 and they kept the best features. Not sure about the 12 MP, could just lead to more noise.

I've also read on one of the forums that Canon will be releasing an 18-55IS and 55-250IS lens.

New Lenses

Some of you may be interested in this updated lens as well:

Updated 14mm

- Bill

Last edited:
The 40 D looks like a great upgrade from my 350D
perfect mid range DSLR camera
The 5D is too much camera and cost and the 400D isn't much of an upgrade

I can't wait for B&H to have it on the shelf.
:D

40D - "Takes up to 17 RAW or 75 JPEG photos in a row at 6.5 frames/second" , 3" screen, larger viewfinder...$1299

Why did you do this to me Dave?!?!?!?!?!?!?

- darren

ps: yes, I am serious. When shooting surfing and other action shots, I shoot at 5 fps, but my 20D will only shoot 6 RAW images before bogging down (spec, not CF speed). 6.5 fps for 17 RAW shots....and the larger screen would be killer. Ugh.

Heck, I'll go all out with the 40D's "Optional Wi-Fi 'grip' supports wireless live view, image transfer to computer, and connection to GPS receivers or flash drives"

There's actually a new Sony CCD out there that is supposed to take 40 fps :eek: No idea when it will arrive in a camera, probably next year.

MichaelJ said:
Heck, I'll go all out with the 40D's "Optional Wi-Fi 'grip' supports wireless live view, image transfer to computer, and connection to GPS receivers or flash drives"

What's the saying though..."If you can hold it in your hand it is probably outdated"! :D

Dave,

Thanks for screwing up my plans. :eek:

I was almost certain I was going to grab one of the new Olympus 510's, and now you've tossed a spanner in the works.

This seems like a great camera. Its got the Oly live view and then some. AND for hikers, the weather sealed body is a big thing. Only concern is the weight and size. Bigger that the Oly 410 and 510 but seems like some really good features to offset.

....Decisions, decisions.

Wow!

That 40D is going to be a fast shooter, and the improved sensor capabilities look very promising despite only a modest increase in resolution.

Anyone looking for a used 20D in a few months...

David Metsky said:
I'm going to have to grab an SD800 ASAP.

Thanks, Dave. Just bought this camera last night from Crutchfield. Their website advertises it for $349, but the price in the cart automatically drops to $299. Plus free shipping, and no sales tax. Great deal, great camera. Thanks again!

Rob

skiguy said:
Aw come on...How about the Mark III and one of These! :eek:

I know a guy out here that has a Mark III. Actually he bought the first one that came to the islands. The 10 fps is crazy. Straps on his 600mm and shoots surfing shots machine gun style. Insane.

- d

I watched "Nasa TV" as the shuttle landed today, and as it approached the runway I heard on the audio a camera start clicking, and go at maybe 5 or 10fps for the entire rest of the landing, around a minute.

MichaelJ said:
I watched "Nasa TV" as the shuttle landed today, and as it approached the runway I heard on the audio a camera start clicking, and go at maybe 5 or 10fps for the entire rest of the landing, around a minute.

It's incredible to find speed and quality reach an apex with this technology....maybe? The gap keeps getting smaller. The "Prosumer" IMO is benifiting on a level now that I have a hard time buying on the PRO Level.Still Photo has made some serious leaps as well as Video. Does anyone think this will settle down for awhile or are we sitting back and waiting? It does not end! Thanx again Dave for the addiction :) In comtemplation :rolleyes: