The pair with the best views?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Greetings everyone.

The weather appears to be shaping up nicely for this weekend, so I'd like to take advantage of it with a hike that offers superb views. Originally I was planning on doing Middle/South Carter, but now I'm wondering if the Wildcats would offer better views. I've read that the South Carter summit is wooded, so I'm not expecting any views there. Which of these pairs would you reccomend assuming that the weather is going to be clear, and which route would you recommend. I need all 4 summits towards my 48.

Thanks,
- Bill

Middle Carter: no summit views, but there are nice views on the trail nearby.

S. Carter: no views, but Mt. Hight is nearby, with some of the best views in the Whites.

A nice route is a loop using one of the branches of the Imp Trail, the Carter-Moriah Trail, the Carter Dome Trail, and the 19 Mile Brook Trail. This will include either a road walk or a relatively easy bushwhack to get back to your car. Side trip to Mt. Hight should be given serious consideration.

Wildcat A: Nice view from nearby ledge.

Wildcat D: Great views of Mt. Washington from platform.

An interesting, seldom-used, and long approach is by the Bog Brook, Wildcat River, 19 Mile Brook and Wildcat Ridge Trails. Return the same way.

having been to both recently, I'd say it's a toss-up. just north of Middle Carter's summit makes up for the lack of views on South Carter. Also keep in mind that the observation deck (or whatever you call it) on Wildcat D is closed right now. Looks like it will be repaired soon.

If the weather is clear, I'd probably opt for WIldcat. Up 19-mile brook, across the ridge and then down Polecat ski trail. If it had been clear last Saturday instead of a raging thunderstorm, the view probably would have been very nice all the way down.

if you go Carters instead, I'd go up 19 mile brook, then up to zeta pass across and down one of the Imp trails, most likely the northern leg. It ends up being more road-walk but not much and you get to visit the Imp Face as well.

I suppose if you were real ambitious, you could do all 4, up Imp down Polecat.

Doing the Wildcats, I like to go up Wildcat Ridge trail taking Lost Pond from Pinkham notch. Nice views as you go up the steep ridge, I agree with Steve, go down Polecat. The road-walk back to your car isn't bad.

I like the Carter traverse going up the second Imp trailhead which has nice views across Imp face. Nice views on Mt Lethe as well as Hight.

Thanks for the feedback. Where abouts do you catch "polecat"?
I don't see an actual trail on my map.

- Bill

BillK said:
Thanks for the feedback. Where abouts do you catch "polecat"?
I don't see an actual trail on my map.
Starts at the top lift. Keep mostly to the right (north) on the way down. Check out the trail map on Wildcat's website: http://www.skiwildcat.com/trailmap.html. Its the green trail on the left.

If you pass through Zeta Pass, take the side trip to Mt Hight.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks DougPaul. You wouldn't happen to know what the total RT is would you? nineteen mile brook - wildcat ridge - polecat - road walk back to nineteen mile I'm guessing about 12.2 miles based on ~ 2.8 down polecat and a 3 mile walk back to the nineteen mile trailhead? (I'm not certain of the 3 mile road walk, but I saw where someone had mentioned that distance)

- Bill

BillK said:
Thanks DougPaul. You wouldn't happen to know what the total RT is would you? nineteen mile brook - wildcat ridge - polecat - road walk back to nineteen mile I'm guessing about 12.2 miles based on ~ 2.8 down polecat and a 3 mile walk back to the nineteen mile trailhead? (I'm not certain of the 3 mile road walk, but I saw where someone had mentioned that distance)
Polecat is about 1.7 mi and the roadwalk is about 2.9 mi. (From the topo.) The trail distances should be in the guidebook.

Doug

Thanks Doug. Now I'm just debating whether or not I'll be up for a 3 mile road walk after a 9 mile hike. :) We may spot a 2nd card.

- Bill

If you want great views don't miss Mount Hight. In my opinion it has some of the best views in the Whites, especially of the northern Presidentials. Well worth the extra effort to get there!

Woody

Here's a view from Mt Hight, from October 1st of last year. I can't imagine hiking that ridge without visiting the summit of Mt. Hight.

Descending Wildcat, instead of Polecat I would use the southern-most trails all the way down. I think the views are much better. Just stay left, as you look downhill, at each junction.

Happy Trails :)

forestnome said:
Descending Wildcat, instead of Polecat I would use the southern-most trails all the way down.
IIRC, Wildcat asks hikers to use Polecat. However, this might be winter to minimize the risk of hiker--groomer accidents.

Can anyone confirm?

Ski trails are also not designed for foot traffic and can be eroded by same. If Wildcat asks hikers to use a particular trail in summer, it might be to aim the traffic where it will cause the least damage. Polecat is a green (easier) trail, Wildcat Tr is a black (harder and steeper) trail.

Doug

DougPaul said:
IIRC, Wildcat asks hikers to use Polecat. However, this might be winter to minimize the risk of hiker--groomer accidents.

Can anyone confirm?

Ski trails are also not designed for foot traffic and can be eroded by same. If Wildcat asks hikers to use a particular trail in summer, it might be to aim the traffic where it will cause the least damage. Polecat is a green (easier) trail, Wildcat Tr is a black (harder and steeper) trail.

Doug

Yes - I hiked polecat last weekend with my family and some others - totally legal, etc.. - thats the one they want you going up. Nice views into the ravines, but I didn't like hiking the bare ski trail at all for reasons doug mentions above Its in fine shape and I think it is "somewhat maintained" - according to the women at the front desk last week.

Thanks for the pics Quietman, but I think adding Mt. Hight to my trip may be a little too much. :) I'm already looking at ~ 12 miles, 3 of which will be a mountain bike trek from the bottom of Wildcat back to my van at Nineteen Mile Brook. I'm hoping to get Carter Dome AND Mt. Hight in on separate hike. Pics look great though. Thanks for sharing.

- Bill

Hight is a must when you do Carter Dome.

Maybe I've been to Wildcat too much lately (just 3X) but I like the Middle Carter views, IMO Middle Carter is underrated because the summit has no views. If you traverse it though you get views from before & after the actual peak.

If you have two cars you can spot one at Northern Imp trailhead & go over Imp Face which has a good view too. With one car can do bushwhack descending South portion of Imp & get back to (or very close) to 19 mile Brook without a long road walk.

Did Wildcats with Double Bow this winter up 19 Mile, Wildcat Ridge & down Pole cat. I don't think either of us enjoyed the last 1/2 of the three mile roadwalk.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the Polecat ski trail. The views were absolutely breathtaking throughout the entire descent. We ended up stashing our mountain bikes at the bottom of Wildcat, and then driving my vehicle to Nineteen Mile Brook trail where we started our hike. The 3-mile bike ride at the end was quite relaxing. (Basically all downhill)

Pics for those interested:

http://bkimura.phanfare.com/album/117491

I hope everyone else was able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather in the Whites over the weekend.

- Bill