The Trap Dike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
We are headed up to attempt the Trapdike in the Adirondaks this Saturday. We are unsure of which trailhead we are starting from but we plan to do it in a day. Does anyone know of how the conditions are?

We are headed up to attempt the Trapdike in the Adirondaks this Saturday. We are unsure of which trailhead we are starting from but we plan to do it in a day. Does anyone know of how the conditions are?
I assume you are prepared for full-on winter ice climbing with ice axes, crampons, helmets, ropes, etc. ?

Edit: from your photos, it looks like the above is true! :D

Also, in case you are not aware, the dike avalanches from time to time, so avalanche preparedness is a good idea as well.

Good luck! We'll be up there the weekend after this one, and we'll peek over the edge! :D

I assume you are prepared for full-on winter ice climbing with ice axes, crampons, helmets, ropes, etc. ?

Edit: from your photos, it looks like the above is true! :D

The photos? how about her user name?? I suspect that's exactly what she's looking for!

We did the trapdike! The hardest part was getting from the dike to the slabs. Crazy terrain and spruce traps crossing over, but super fun! TR and pics will be posted later! Lots of ice in the dike made for lots of fun! Didn't see anyone else out on the dike, we started up it at 9am.

Sounds like you might have gone too high before accessing the slab. I saw your tracks later in the day. The best spot to cut right for the slab is about 75 yards after the last ice bulge, before the gully becomes tree-filled. Maybe you got a view up top? The clouds rolled in around 2 p.m. - Al

there was one set of tracks that went way up beyond where we went in. we turned right just past a large rock in the middle of the dike that had some small trees growing from it. there was a steep wall with dripping ice directly across from where we cut in. i dont know if that was the right spot or not but its just above where we cut in for our fall climb. we had views until we got a bit up the slabs. it was still fun! :)

there was one set of tracks that went way up beyond where we went in. we turned right just past a large rock in the middle of the dike that had some small trees growing from it. there was a steep wall with dripping ice directly across from where we cut in. i dont know if that was the right spot or not but its just above where we cut in for our fall climb. we had views until we got a bit up the slabs. it was still fun! :)
I ended up going all the way to the col once, not really deliberately, but you do hit a herd path (in summer) if you work your way left from the top of the drainage.