Things to do in Baxter SP this winter...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IndianChris said:
sorry to deviate...
CARCASS...Giggy!...didn't know anyone else liked'm.
Invoking Carcass here is not relevant. If you'd like to join the Global Warming thread, however, it may be;

"The threads of global fabric are untied
The role of the western free world is in decline
Still free to consume, free to breathe
Free to exist, free to dream, your life of dreams

Keep on rotting, keep on hoping, keep on dreaming
One day maybe, keep on rotting, keep on hoping
Whilst in the real world you...

Consumer or consumed, your life is cheap
Economic salvation in sweatshops returned from the east
Despair the only quality of strife
A reason for existence if you can afford the price,
If your price is right."

IndianChris said:
sorry to deviate...
CARCASS...Giggy!...didn't know anyone else liked'm.

ohh yea - classics.

Swarming Vulgar Mass Of Infected Virulency!!!!

Chip: keep on rotting in the free world

just to keep it on topic - there is a good breakfest place in millinocket - can't recall the name though - down one of the 2 streets there.. can't miss it... :)

giggy said:
there is a good breakfest place in millinocket - can't recall the name though

Boo-yeah! AT Café. Yum. Slow service, but good food.

I've heard of the AT Cafe, I've also heard that the Terrace hotel has cheap $2.99 breakfasts or so...

Is there any kind of outdoors store in or near Millinocket.. Like say if I need to get food and or camping stuff..?? or even a gear rental?

Jay

Last edited:
Jay H said:
I just hope there is enough snow on the tote roads so I can use my sled... I don't care if I snowshoe with it, I suspect that AMG wont want us to ski it...
Plenty of snow on the perimeter road and side roads for snowshoes or skis and for pull sleds. We skied both ways.

The perimeter road is packed down by snowmobiles (legal use).

OK, having never been to Millinocket, I'm researching the place, there's a hannaford there to get groceries, is there anything to get basic outdoor gear, even say a wally world ie I need white gas/colemans?

Jay

Stop at Bean's on the way up.

BTW, Millinocket water tastes pretty bad (heavily treated), so I'd find some other source for your drinking water before hitting the trail.

OK, thanks for the heads up on the water. I have the address of the local Hannafords which I will stop by for water and food. no bearded clams for me, Giggy!

BTW, has anybody been to the library in Millinocket? I know there is one.. is there public internet acfess there. (I have to check on VfTT! :) Well, actually not, but I'd like to check up on weather in between Arm's trip and my katahdin attempt... I've stopped at various libraries in the NE on different bicycle tours and usually would borrow internet time to check on the weather and stuff.

I saw photos of a PC at the library but it could easily just be a reference PC. East Millinocket states on their website they have 2 PCs with 1 open to the internet..

Jay

Thanks everybody for all the advice, I should have some trip reports sometime in the next few days...

After coming out of the park from Brothers trip, I spent the rest of the day stocking up on food at LaHannaford and then stopped at the park office to chat with the folks there. Wednesday was supposed to be crappy as in rainy so I went to Abol Bridge and took the Abol Stream trail to the Kettle Pond trail which was broken out somewhat to Round Pond, then broke trail to Rum Pond and then out to the Roaring Brook tote road. Decided to walk down to Togue Pond gate to check out the gatehouse everybody talks about waiting at. then back up to the parking lot.

Thursday, was an awesome day and I went out to hike Sentinal Mtn via the Foss and Knowlton trail. (Broken out like a highway to Foss and Knowlton lake and then by skiers to Lost Pond and unbroken between there and the Daicey Pond Nature trail.

Friday, Chip and I prehiked to Abol Campground and I went to break the trail to Little Abol Falls...

So, I thanks everybody for some great advice and some nice hiking... albeit I didn't see any other hikers, saw some deer, a grouse, and a wild rabbit chase :)

Jay

There is a good last minute shop to stop by as you are leaving Millinocket immediately before crossing under the railroad bridge on the left. Its more like a general/grocery store. Good place for junk food, beer, and small family type camping items (coleman yes, isopropane cyclinders no). I am not aware of any actual outfitters. If you want food stop by at Hannafords just across the street from McDonalds.

Pure speculation on my part is that you can find outdoor gear in the large Bangor Mall Complex that you will drive through leaving Bangor.

Thanks, I never needed anything but I know the store you're talking about so I'll keep that in mind the next time.

As far as stuff, I know there is a Wal-Mart in Lincoln which is a bit o-miles north of Bangor and closer to Millinocket though it's probably slightly further off I-95 than the big mall in Bangor. I know it's right on Rt 2 just before the road that goes to Danforth as i stopped there to refill my waterbottle before I starting cycling east.

Jay