Thirteen Falls ATTEMPT from Lincoln Woods - ARG!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn't too deep at all, but, there was around 1/4" to 1/2" of ice on the rocks sticking out of the stream. If I had regular boots I would have stepped on submerged rocks. I didn't carry microspikes either. The rocks were not nicely spaced (for my fairly long stride). I had not anticipated the ice at the crossings or the soggy feet even with goretex trailrunners.....

Thanks. that's what I was hoping to hear.:)

Thanks for all the responses. I am *STILL* puzzling how I could NOT find the trail - I scoured that area.... went to the dropoff, backed off... circled... deadend.... I REALLY need to solve this mystery!!! I followed EXACTLY the descriptions and NO DICE!!!!!

I'm ALSO still baffled how I lost my own trail on the way back. I keep thinking I must have *thought* I was at the upper stream crossing but I must not have been :confused:
Many of us (myself included) have been "confused" a time or three...

@dougpaul: I cannot imagine trying to splint a ski pole with a tent pole!!! Also, I cannot imagine even trying to ski while lugging all that camping stuff - it would be tough to kick-n-glide, for sure!!!!
The fix was pretty easy--lash four tent pole sections spanning the break with buckle straps or cord. (Reclaim the tent pole sections to set up camp...)

Skiing with that much weight is more of a shuffle and slog... It was likely a factor in my fear of losing an edge and sliding into the river.

@natreb: I was thinking it would be a good time to try that too, but, night is tough. I am very tempted to try again in a few weeks... good insight to think like a trailmaker - I am still so puzzled what happened to the trail!
One strategy would be to start at night and try to be near the base of the slide at dawn. (A reversal of our lollipop strategy: start and finish in the dark rather than starting and finishing in the light.) Once you get to Franconia Brook Tr the navigation out should be relatively easy even in the dark.

@forestgnome - trailrunners b/c I wanted to move light and fast - I wanted to run, basically, which I find tough on the flats with leather boots!!! :eek: Unfortunately, I was there because it was a list hike.... I will be back!!!!
Bring some plastic bags: if your feet get cold, use the following layering: liner sock, plastic bag, heavy insulating sock, plastic bag. This will protect the insulating socks from both sweat and external moisture. (Think of an improvised K-Boot.) Also make sure your feet are warm and dry for a good period every day or you may get trench foot. In normal hiking one would generally do the warm and dry period overnight.

In my best Terminator accent, "I'll be baaaaack!" :)
Should be a piece of cake--this loop is only 20.7 mi (~2035 vert ft) whereas the TFT-SPT lollipop was 24.6 mi (1700 ft). (Distances from WMNF GPS tracks, vert from NG TOPO!.)

Doug

Last edited:
OK, I know i'll never win this one about footware, but it's easy for me to run in my Crestas...I've jogged downhill nonstop from Chocorua summit...I know it's considered alien to be able to jog in leather boots but I do it all the time.

OK...all done ;)

OK, I know i'll never win this one about footware, but it's easy for me to run in my Crestas...I've jogged downhill nonstop from Chocorua summit...I know it's considered alien to be able to jog in leather boots but I do it all the time.

OK...all done ;)

I hear you - I agree the crestas are GREAT for downhill jogging... BUT, I could not really fathom 10-ish miles of running/jogging the flat stretches in them!!! :eek: I still love my crestas!!!! NOW, that being said, I now pretty much know the limits of my supposedly waterproof (goretex!!!) trail runners - they WILL be wet!!!!

@dougpaul: good suggestions about the feet - I had plastic bags and was ready to do that, but, didn't. If my feet got colder, I would have. The tradeoff is the changing time and the fact that the sweat soaks my feet even more, but, at least they stay warm!!! Also, like you say, I think an earlier start would have been better - pre-dawn would be my next plan.

By the way, I just successfully (not so simple on a Mac!!) loaded the trail onto my GPS and have it at the ready!!!! I think I will just load the most obscure trails and be done with it!!!!

Last edited:
You guys must be heading to Owl's Head soon?????

It along with the Bonds should already have been done and could easily have been. In finishing up my fifth and Lauky's third I had those two left. About a month ago I developed what the doctor says is an inflammation of the cartilage behind my left knee cap.:eek: I had knocked off a bit to see if it would clear up so I lost the weeks when it would have been done.

Anyway, I finally saw the doctor, he gave me the diagnosis and said not to quit hiking but not to push it on the long ones. So as much as it eats at me I may let it go for a while. Anyway, I'm getting focused on finishing up Lauky's winter round which we may be able to do this year. Neither of those hikes are on his winter list since he did them with me when I finished up a couple of years ago. If I don't go this weekend, it will probably wait until late winter or spring, but yes I have been thinking about it.:)

@dougpaul: good suggestions about the feet - I had plastic bags and was ready to do that, but, didn't. If my feet got colder, I would have. The tradeoff is the changing time and the fact that the sweat soaks my feet even more, but, at least they stay warm!!!
I used K-boots (rubber inner, felt insulation, rubber outer) when I started winter hiking. They were warm and goof-proof, but your feet were always soaked by the end of the day.

Also, like you say, I think an earlier start would have been better - pre-dawn would be my next plan.
No pain, no gain... :)

By the way, I just successfully (not so simple on a Mac!!) loaded the trail onto my GPS and have it at the ready!!!! I think I will just load the most obscure trails and be done with it!!!!
The 60CSx has a limit of 20 saved tracks of 500 points each which should be enough for most individual weekend trips. For instance, I used 9 for the TFT-SPT lollipop. (In some cases, one could combine individual tracks before loading to increase the effective number.)

Doug

Wow! Great TR. I understand that feeling of panic under the calm exterior of experience. Specially when your tracks should have been right there! Good for you for finding your own way. Impressive. And a great read!

Happy Trails
Heather