This land is my land...this land is your land...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dvbl said:
New Hampshire residents...Even though it's a "National" forest, do you have a gut feeling that the WMNF belongs more to you than to others? Be honest. We can keep this civil (well, maybe).

I am an New Hampshire resident who is very proud of those little hills nestled in "god's country." When your that proud of something.....you just HAVE to share (or show it off) with others! Besides, I figure they pay their dues at the Hooksett tolls!!! :D

Brian

Paradox said:
Excuse me counsellor, at the risk of admitting that I am ignorant: can you give us the text?

Section 2 - State citizens, Extradition

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

(No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, But shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.) (This clause in parentheses is superseded by Amendment XIII.)

I'm going to assume he was referring to the first sentence. ;)

-Shayne

I think it's great when out of staters come to enjoy our wilderness experience at Mount Wachusett State Park and in Leominster State Forest. If you have not been fortunate enough to visit - they're in Massachusetts. :D Great opportunities for skiing and rock climbing!

Virtually no trees today in White Mountains without federal designation and management of the White Mountain National Forest. (You could look it up. A good place to start is the White Mountain Reader edited by Mike Dickerman.)

No White Mountain National Forest without a Weeks Act of 1911. (Ditto.)

No Weeks Act without a Congressman John W. Weeks of . . . gasp! . . . MASSACHUSETTS! :eek: (Ditto.) (OK, OK, he was indeed born and raised in Lancaster, NH.)

p.s. Privileges and Immunities Clause has always been one of my personal favorites.

Last edited:
Jay H said:
I've always believed in an ideal world, nobody would own any land. :)

"The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth." -Chief Seattle

Jay

In an ideal world, I wouldn't feel the need to own enough land to insulate myself from the noise of disrespectful, uncouth grunts that show up in my neighborhood every weekend, blowing off the fireworks that are illegal in their home states, partying like college kids untill 3:00a.m., etc. :eek: I like the rest of your post, seeing beauty in the world :)

I take pride and ownership in the WMNF (Chocorua is visible from my neighbor's yard). I don't think it's officially mine more that any other citizen. However, when I'm taking trash out of the WMNF and the trailhead parking lot has about 90% out-of-state vehicles, I feel a deeper sense of ownership than would be conveyed by a deed. I've buryed the fesces of other people who leave it right on the trail because it's my forest, and she deserves better treatment.

I imagine no real ownership or privilage over visitors, but as a local I take great pride in being a steward of the forest. Cleaning up after ungrateful visitors actually results in a sense of belonging.

Madriver, you are saintly.