Time for the 2009 Spring/Summer Flower Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No

This wasn't on the ridge, but I may have implied that. This was well down the OBP, well below where you could get any views. Thanks for the help with the ID, I like to get it right, and I know you're the man to go to!

KDT

I'm a Wild Orchid kinda guy. I found this one (Calopogon) in the Philbrick/Cricenti Bog in New London last weekend.

P7120019.jpg

And this White Fringed up on the Allagash at the end of the portage around the falls a month ago.

P6240196.jpg

For anyone who would like to see a wild orchid (Large Purple Fringed) and smell a flower that blows away the scent of a Lilac, at the end of July, beginning of Aug (with this cool summer) leaving Franconia Notch on the bike path from the Cul-de-sac there is a nice collection of them 1/2-3/4 mile on the right side of the path. A 1/4 mile further there's a Helleborine also on the right.

I have no idea what this plant is. I thought a form of wintergreen but it didn't smell minty and I could not find it in any of my books. Location is West Bethel, Maine; low elevation, along a recent road cut. Lots of White Pine around the site as well as blueberries, mosses, lichens. Not an overly wet location, however. It was only a small population.

Two pictures are here.

Apologies for the facebook link, I couldn't seem to attach the images inline.
-vegematic

I have no idea what this plant is. I thought a form of wintergreen but it didn't smell minty and I could not find it in any of my books. Location is West Bethel, Maine; low elevation, along a recent road cut. Lots of White Pine around the site as well as blueberries, mosses, lichens. Not an overly wet location, however. It was only a small population.

Two pictures are here.

Apologies for the facebook link, I couldn't seem to attach the images inline.
-vegematic

Pipsissewa

I saw this flower on a local walk and its vivid blue color is amazing. Went back 3 times to see it bloom, only to find that it dosen't. It was the only one that I could find in the area.

the gentians are out already????? :( they're usually end-of-summer plants

many of them don't open, somewhat of a let-down.

Guess summer is over!! Did it ever start?:rolleyes:

I saw this while hiking an overgrown ski trail on what was the Temple Mtn ski area this week. The vibrant blue color really stood out against the brown and green forest floor.