Time for the 2009 Spring/Summer Flower Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool!

foamflower
2410815410099656796S425x425Q85.jpg

red-berried elder?
2261257880099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

Wonderful shots, everyone!

Today on a hike in the lowlands between Smarts and Cube I saw another quadrillium! I also saw what I think is a painted trillium that someone forgot to paint!:eek: I don't believe it is a large-flowered trillium, but rather an albino painted trillium. I know Pink Lady's slippers are sometimes white, so I figure, its possible, right?
2871252560099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

Are we sure it's not Large-Flowered Trillium? Now you have to find a Quadrillium of that sort, Jason :).

Yesterday (5-18-09) at Pawtuckaway, White and Pink Lady's Slippers, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Solomon's Seal, best Columbine I've seen this year (N. Peak) and all the other usual suspects. No light to shoot, though.

Are we sure it's not Large-Flowered Trillium? Now you have to find a Quadrillium of that sort, Jason :).
I'll drag out Gleason & Cronquist if I have to, but I concur with nartreb. Trillium grandiflorum is also of questionable status in NH -- not on the NH rare list at this time, but I hang out around the professional botanist crowd in this state & I remember it came up in conversation that it's essentially nonexistent here, so worth documenting if you do come across it. (in Maine, listed as SH = state historic, and "possibly extirpated", viz. the MNAP factsheet)

btw, before I forget, if you are in NH or nearby, we have a nascent "NH Botanical Club", with a (low-traffic, minimal content) website. There's a companion mailing list on events, as well as stuff on the site that isn't visible unless you're marked as a member, so if you want to get on the mailing list send me a PM with some information about yourself (minimum=real name + town of residence).

Last edited:
would it be worthwhile to let someone know about the albino painted trillium?
not really... if in the WMNF (AT corridor counts since WMNF administers in NH), I can get you contact info for their forest botanist if you like.

Genetic aberrations aren't uncommon in some species, I seem to remember that Trillium spp are one of them. I've seen occasional 5-petal bluets and 6-petal strawberries, and my friend Dave found a patch of albino Campanula rotundifolia in the Presi Range.

Interesting: I think Jason's trillium really is an albino. Other than chlorophyll (which doesn't count since chloroplasts have their own DNA), it shows no (non-white) pigment at all. Trillium usually has reddish leaf edges and reddish sepal tips, as you can see, for example, in my avatar; this one doesn't.

I've gone back and looked at my photos of white cypripedium, and there are two types: the ones with very faint pink veins have dark-tipped sepals, and the ones that are absolutely pure white have no (non-white, non-green) pigment at all. (Pink or dark-pink cypripedia have dark sepals, though I have one photo of a very pale pink one with only moderately-dark sepals.)

almost-pure white, with dark sepal tips:

pure white, with pale sepals:

PS Orchids can have extra petals too (note dark sepals):

Grafton Notch area flora update

From Grafton Notch - the Old Spec side is only purple trilliums while the Baldpate side has purple, painted, and trout lilies. Also the hobblebush is blooming on the Baldpate side, but only just barely on the Old Spec side.

Purple Trillium

Painted Trillium

Trout Lily

Tim

Last edited:
I saw this in the woods yesterday, but I have seen several this year. My question is, what causes Jack-in-the-pulpits to have none of the dark brown/red that they usually have? Is this another case of an albino flower?
Or just a lack of sunlight possibly?

2940765010099656796S500x500Q85.jpg

I think the sign on this on said bog saxifrage, but I'm not certain, and I can't find that name in my flower guide book.
2578185590099656796S500x500Q85.jpg

no idea what this was, either. it's roots were submerged in water.
2307969160099656796S500x500Q85.jpg

Nice pictures on this thread. Anyone know what these are?
4-214-25-09MemorialDayWeekend030.jpg

4-214-25-09MemorialDayWeekend032.jpg

Seen all over the ledges of cliffs above Creature Wall, while climbing at Chapel Pond over the weekend.
4-214-25-09MemorialDayWeekend040.jpg

Last edited: