Timmus down (surgery)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julie, I wish you were coming to our party tonight. Except for a couple of bad knees, we have no invalids to entertain, and we could take wonderful care of you like we did UFC and his unbunions last year. Doug Paul doesn't count any more, he's independent. Take care, it will be worth it - I have friends who need the surgery badly but are afraid.

audrey said:
Julie, I wish you were coming to our party tonight. Except for a couple of bad knees, we have no invalids to entertain, and we could take wonderful care of you like we did UFC and his unbunions last year. Doug Paul doesn't count any more, he's independent. Take care, it will be worth it - I have friends who need the surgery badly but are afraid.

Thanks Audrey ! Tell your friends it's not that bad, it hurts first but then it's mostly uncomfortable.

Have fun tonight !!

Hey, the casts are GONE !!!!

But it's so painful I can't even walk. My feet miss the support provided by the fiber glass, I can't move my toes... But my feet are STRAIGHT !

Next step is get some exercice. The scale tells me I lost weight, but I guess it's because all my muscles melted.

Another 6 weeks and I will be on the trail, yoo-hooo !!

I'm hitting the trail this weekend for the first time in over a month and a half. It feels like it's been an eternity. Super hard to deal with since I normally hike every weekend. Basically, I'm trying to say that I know what you're going through and I applaud you for remaining so upbeat.

To quote President Clinton, "Ah feel yer pain." :( :D

I'm now walking without too much pain, so I went out to the gear shop and rent plastics for three days.

Now, what to hike ?

Any suggestions for short outings in the Whites Mountains (less than 3 hours total). I was thinking Artist's Bluff, Cherry Mountain, stuff like that. +3K's if possible.

I'm concern about the snow because I'll probably have to break trails by myself so let's not be too ambtitious here :eek:

Thanks !!!!

Artist's Bluff + Bald Mountain was doable for me even when I had bad knee problems, and my kids did it at 4 and 6 no-problem. Down from Artist's Bluff is a bit steep for a while... and while I've always gone up Bald first, there's no reason for that.

Tim

timmus said:
I'm now walking without too much pain, so I went out to the gear shop and rent plastics for three days.

Now, what to hike ?

Any suggestions for short outings in the Whites Mountains (less than 3 hours total). I was thinking Artist's Bluff, Cherry Mountain, stuff like that. +3K's if possible.

I'm concern about the snow because I'll probably have to break trails by myself so let's not be too ambtitious here :eek:

Thanks !!!!

Indian Head is a pretty mellow hike. Decent views too. A couple that I have not done yet, but are always recommended are Hedghog and Potash. On the fringes of rthe Whites you have the Morgan/Percival loop over on the Squam range with some lovely views South, or for REAL easy the bridal path to Rattlesnake (which uses the same trailhead parking lot as Morgan/Percival) is a very short jaunt with some more lovely views.

Brian

Glad to hear that your feeling better! As we recall Cherry Mountain is fairly steep so factor that in.

Hedghog is a nice loop as in the loop over the Sugarloafs in Twin Mountain. Others that come to mind that are not too tough are Mt Parker, Mt Carr, Mt Crescent and Randolph, The Imp, Kearsarge North,(steep but a fire tower on the summit), and Sandwich and Jennings peaks.

timmus said:
Now, what to hike ?

Great to hear about your progress Timmus!

You can always do like Arm and follow a day behind my scheduole :D ........no need for trailbreaking :D

Congratulations on your recovery. Hedgehog as was mentioned is good, also from the same parking lot, Mt. Potash is a great hike. It's just a bit below 3000'. Kearsarge North is not too difficult with an easily accessible closed in tower to reward you at the top. Kearsarge is a popular hike and has a fair chance of being broken out. Watch the posts before you go.

Julie -
Glad to hear you are on your way back...another vote for Mount Willard...Black Cap off Hurricane Mountain Road is another good choice - but I am not sure if the road is open that far right now...

Hey Julie,

If you want to start really mellow......there is always New England's 15,274th highest (or something like it): the mighty 562 footer off Kezar lake in Maine - Ladies Delight Hill.

If you want to play it safe you can go up Cannon and if the foot hurts you can just take the tram down....or descend MEB-style....:D

You always get good bang for the bucks at Villard as mentioned earlier ;)