To be a 46er or not to be?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading through the posts many have mentioned "writing reports" and " correspondants". One (rhihn) even mentioned "reporting for many years now". Is there a standard downloadable format for this "report" and when you sign up with the organization are you assigned a correspondant to verify the claims of the report as you submit them?

Buddur: No form. We've sent our reports as a regular letter on regular paper. Nothing formal at all. Ours usually have been 1-2 pages, typed. We report the name of the mountain, date hiked, weather, trail conditions, stupid things we did, people we met, animals we saw, interesting trees, rock formations, overcoming particular difficulties, what the summit and trail was like, and so forth. Above all, as Pete said, it is a LETTER, not a FORM, to a real person who, as I mentioned in one post, we have actually met. Our letters are always answered, sometimes confirming some of our comments, making observations on our hike, and sometimes offering suggestions. We've always enjoyed the exchange, and have never written thinking that this person's job is merely to "verify" our report.

The experience is the thing....

but writing about it brings it back to mind and lets you live it again.

I want to be a 46er, and began writing to the Office of the Secretary because it was a requirement. Along the way, I discovered that I liked writing, that writing helped me see and remember the experiences again, through the filters of time, perspective, and memory. The one thing I have been good about, in an otherwise disorganized life, is taking pictures of my hikes, labeling them, and putting them in albums. The are not great works of art and they were mostly taken with disposable cameras. But, they have been invaluable as I sit down to write my letters.

As for the letters, rhihn must have been reading my mind, because he has captured my feelings about the letters exactly- perfectly.

Here's what I can add - in an age where e-mail is prevalent and snail mail is dominated by bills and junk mail, getting a real letter, from a real person, who comments on real experiences is unique, and something to be anticipated and savored. (Aside to my correspondent - don't let this go to your head too much - you'll never get your ear muffs on and it's cold up there!)

And, I harbor a mostly hidden hope that someday, if I am lucky and blessed, my grandchildren will look at my albums and letters, and I will experience the 46 again. Who knows - maybe someday they, too, will want to be 46ers.

So, do you need to try to become a 46er to take pictures and keep a journal? Nope - but it has sure helped me.

Other advantages of joining is your club dues goes to a good cause. The Adirondack park would not let us exist if we did not pledge to be good stewards of the land. The 46ers run several trail work days/weekends throughout the year, a good way to meet people. I have not done this in a few years but I believe the 46ers have adopted the north trail to Giant, the Elk Lake to Dix Trail, and I think the trail to Dix from Chapel pond area as well, in addition to trails in the Pharoah lake area and the ponds whose name I forget around the approach to McNaughton peak. I did a summit seeding hike with them(Algonquin) many years ago too. I do not think you have to be a 46er to participate in these, but the 46ers run them and will hope you are an "aspiring 46er" anyway. Check out the web page or call them for more details.

As for the patch, I am not a patch man but I like to wear the t-shirt, it is generally a good conversation starter when passing strangers on the trail or elsewhere. I wear my Vermont or 46er t-shirts when hiking out west and get surprised at how many people there are who are familiar with & love the northeast mountains. I usually wear my Vermont shirts in the Adirondacks and my 46er shirt in the Whites and elsewhere. Not much of a novelty in the Adirondacks.

I hope you choose to join.

I should add that I am in the same boat as you in the Whites. I hiked Carter Dome last summer, by 48th 4Ker, but have not gotten around to writing up my request to join that club, but I do plan on doing so. It may take me a few more months though as life is very busy for the next couple of months as I am moving. I did my 47th about 5 years prior, so hiking these peaks is never a rush job. One of the many attractions to this hobby.

111er someday ? Maybe, but Miane(I have only hiked Bigelow) & Catskills will be hard for me though as it is a long drive that is tough to justify when I have so many great alternatives closer to home (VT). Truth be told I still have not climbed Killington or Abe in VT.

Cheers-
John

Last edited:
I also think joining both the Adirondack Mountain Club and paying my annual 46r dues to be a good cause - even if we didn't get the discounts. If I remember right, I think the dues are at least partially tax deductible too.

I find wearing my 46r patch in the High Peaks offers me one advantage - I tend to be a late-night person and often start my hikes later than most. Now that I have a patch on my backpack, the rangers don't feel so inclined to tell me to turn around and go back before I even start. Now at most, they ask a few questions then smile and wish me a nice hike.

To be honest I corresponded with Grace for many years and she always said, "that you had to be a recorded 46er to be entitled to wear the patches, pins etc." To be a recorded 46er is alot of fun. Also through the years when 46er numbers are high, I'm amazed that about 3,000 hikers climbed them all after me. Go for it. It really doesn't take that long to write the letters and you don't have to go into great detail if you don't want.