To the Summit, with MLK, 4/3 - 4/4 '68

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rondak46

Reaction score
This day marks MLK's ascent to the mountaintop in 1968. He went, telling us:

"Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.

"So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring. "

Of the dangers of the trip, he said:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me right now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. like anbody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I m not concerned with that now. I just want to t do god's will. And he's allowing me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. And Im happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord."

This was what he reported on 4-3, before summiting the next morning.

God Bless America

Last edited: