Toe Nail Pain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msolar

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up the less than pleasant subject but I know it's not uncommon for hikers to loose toe nails. I've never been so "lucky" but I might be joining the club very soon.

I went hiking last Saturday and my socks didn't fit well - they seemed to get increasingly tighter in my AT boots over the course of the day.

The following day one of my big-toe nails was pretty painful and it's slowly gotten worse over the past 5 days. The nail is slowly getting darker but it's the cuticle that's the most sensitive and painful. About 2mm behind the nail is red and swollen.

Is this just part of the process of becoming initiated, or could I possible have a separate injury on my hands (or feet) here?

Thanks

toenail

Hi

This happened to me 2 times and it was because of the cold.My 2 big toenails became black and very painful.

Now I must be careful when it's cold.My toes are more sensitive to the cold.If it's very cold,I put hot packs inside my boots.

I got big swellings behind both big toes as a result of some serious toe jam about ten years ago. My big toe nails have never been the same..that is, when I *have* them. They ultimately fell off; and even though they sometimes grow back, consistent long distance hiking generally tends to cull them once again.

I think this is a rather common hiking phenomenon, but to be on the safe side, I'd be sure to keep them extra clean and dry while they heal.

<not a dr...blah blah blah>

Sounds like black toe which is usually caused by poor fitting boots. You should take them to a boot fitter. They may be able to modify your boots with five irons or footbeds.

Usually this is caused by boots that are too short or a poor fit (eg narrow feet in a wide boot) allows one's feet to slide forward in the boot. Either allows the tips of one's toes to hit the front of the boot.

Doug

mmmm. FWIW, when this has happened to me, the new nail has grown in under the old nail which eventually falls (or gets cut) off. It will start to rise up forming a gap between the two nails.

One "full time" backpacker I know had all his nails removed years ago by a foot surgeon. There's a thought.

It's also worthwhile to check for a nail fungus. They can be hard to see and cause the same issues. Common with athletes.

And to be redundant, good fitting boots.

When I got a new set of boots at the beginning of last season, I had an issue with the boot pulling up on my toe nails on the descents, similar to how DougPaul describes. They didn't turn black or fall off however. I always run an 11-11.5 size shoe and these were 11.5's.

I brought them back after this first hike and turned them in for 12...haven't had the problem since, and I keep my nails trimmed short especially on hike days. You mentioned your socks, so that may be the fit issue too. If not, I would go ones size higher in the boot.

Good luck, man!

Karl

Going on from what DougPaul said - the boot "volume" ("high volume" vs. "low volume") is important. Many boots, especially cheap ones, are made with a very high instep (I think it makes manufacturing faster, becasue it's easier to pull out the last). Some of these boots also appear to "lean back" (ie, when you look at the empty boot, it looks like the toe is pointed). These fit considerations increase the chance that your foot will slide forward on downhills. Look for a boot with a natural neutral position. The empty boot should look like it is poised to step forward, not poised to fall backward. Also, when fitting, make sure you can lace the boot down firmly onto your instep, and that this seats your heel in the heel cup securely.

Also, some boots have poorly stitched material inside, that will act like a ratchet, and "suck" a sock into the boot a little bit with every stride. I hiked with a friend once who had boots like these. He would have to stop about every half hour and take off the boots, and reel about 4" of crumpled sock out of each boot.

And most importantly, when the toenail comes off, save it, and give it to someone you know. :eek: :D Makes a great conversation piece! :)

while this may not be commen it has happened to me as well, funny thing is, while my big toe has suffered ,I had more issues with my little toe nail. I have removed my big toe nail once and my little toe nail three times at least.

Sounds like toe bang for sure. Proper room in the toe box is critical along with proper footbedding. You should be able to wiggle your toes comfortably without them touching the front of the boot. The part that most folks miss is a proper fitting footbed. If the arch of the footbed does not mate exactly with the arch of your foot you are going to slide around in the boot hence your toes wacking the front of the boot. In other words a proper fitting footbed is going to hold your foot in place and not allow it to move towards the front of the boot. IMO for what we all pay for footware most Shoeware Companies do us a great injustice when it comes to the footbed. An after market footbed can go a long way to improving fit. If your feet are real odd as most of us have some weird quirk a custom footbed is even better. Pricey but well worth it.

I developed that problem, my right little toe, but I think it was from pulling my laces too tight over the top of mu foot thus pulling the side of the boots closer together and tighter to my little toe. I tie my boots differently now so the front of my boot is looser and it seems to help so far. Time will tell.

The big toe thing sounds like a poor fitting boot.

toe nails

I've had the same boots forever and usually don't have problems, but I did loose a toenail off my big toe a few years ago after a hike that involved a great deal of downhill climbing. It took quite awhile, but it turned black and the new nail grew up underneath it and it was kind of hanging and I cut it off.

The podiatrists that I know from working at the hospital told me that it would never look the same, but it looked ok to me. I don't know after loosing it twice.

I didn't have any trouble for a few years even with the same boots. Then I lost both toenails after hiking in the Adirondacks this summer after a few long hikes. The old nails are off and the new ones are growing back. It's a little weird feeling but not painful. It takes quite awhile for the process to happen. It's been like 5 months and the new nails are about half way to where they are supposed to be.

My daughter was a little skeeved out by it and bought me some seriously thick wool socks for Christmas and they are making my feet really happy.

I got big swellings behind both big toes as a result of some serious toe jam about ten years ago. My big toe nails have never been the same..that is, when I *have* them. They ultimately fell off; and even though they sometimes grow back, consistent long distance hiking generally tends to cull them once again.

I think this is a rather common hiking phenomenon, but to be on the safe side, I'd be sure to keep them extra clean and dry while they heal.

<not a dr...blah blah blah>

I guess a lot of us fall into the bruised toenail category. I've been nursing a black big toenail for over six months now. A good section started growing but unfortunately, I bruised it again so I guess it will be another six months before the nail is normal.
Also, a few years ago my podiatrist was treating me for a toenail fungus that just wouldn't go away so he finally took a sample for testing and the results were negative for fungus. So what was the cause? When I told him I hike most weekends; he blamed it on that. Go figure.

Donna:)