Touching the VOID

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to catch Simpson speak at the REI in boston last month (was it last month or this month? - anyway) and he flat out said that the reason he wrote the book in the first place was to let people know that Yates had no other choice when he cut that rope. And not only that, but Yates really did everything he could to get Simpson as far down the Mountain as he did, even at great risk to his own life.

Apparently Yates was really getting blasted from the climbing community when the story of the rope cutting first made its way through the grapevine - even so far as to being blacklisted by climbing organizations.

Simpson's book was to set the record straight by telling the full story.

From various interviews and articles that I have read over the years (and even in this film), Yates does strike me as a rather cantankerous guy - which may explain why he didnt get along with the producer of the film and has subsequently allowed his relationship with Simpson to wither. But this lack of relationship is not due to the rope cutting.

okay for a 9-year old?

I was thinking of seeing this movie with my 9-year old daughter, but saw a review of it on the web that said "intended for mature audiences." To those of you who have seen it, is there anything inappropriate for a 9-year old?

Mike, that's not an easy question to answer for a non-parent.

But in my opinion, you see worse on the nightly news and on MTV and much worse in most PG-13 and R movies. No gory violence at all (although the guys don't look too well after days in the mountains), no gratuitous violence, no sex or nudity, and on the plus side... a lot of insight into the human character and condition, something most parents would value in their child's development.

(There are a few scenes-2 if I recall-of desperation using curse words so you need to know that...and the "f" word is used on these occasions, however, with the Brit accent it almost comes off as "fik". This is the ONLY objectionable part of the movie I saw in terms of your specific question re: a 9 year old. And it can be kept in perspective, I think, when seeing how it's used. Also, one time Joe says they "could have gone tits up", ie: dead. It's not sexual, though, more of a Brit expression, I think.)

Personally, I say she stands to learn a lot from the movie and you risk very few (no) negative effects in her seeing it.

Holdstrong wrote: "Yates does strike me as a rather cantankerous guy "

Not to disagree on this point but David Hawkings, the young guy Joe and Simon recruited to guard their base camp, noted in the movie that he found Simon to be more amiable and patient than Joe had been on the expedition. Joe said he was very ambitious and seemed keen to make a name for himself. I'm sure he wore his ego on his sleeve as well. Let's remember too, Joe was 25 and Simon was only 21 when they were in Peru. Some cool heads in a very difficult situation for young guys.

Truly the film is not to be missed if you love mountaineering.

JohnL

Re: okay for a 9-year old?

mike1889 said:
...To those of you who have seen it, is there anything inappropriate for a 9-year old?
I think DeadFred accurately described most of what might be considered objectionable for a 9-year old. The only thing I'd add is that there is considerable intensity and life & death situations, which could upset more sensitive children. I'd tend to agree with Fred that most kids see much worse on a regular basis, but YMMV. I would probably have taken my kids at that age, and I don't think I screwed them up too badly.
Just like in climbing, keep an escape route in mind. If it's bothering your daughter, head for the exit.

It might be easier for younger kids (wow I shouldn't talk - I'm not even 18 :p ) because from the first minute of the movie you know they both survive. If your child understands that, it might make it easier to deal with. But what do I know...

peace,
Oysterhead

Last edited:
the young guy Joe and Simon recruited to guard their base camp, noted in the movie that he found Simon to be more amiable and patient than Joe had been on the expedition.

That is a great point. I did take note of that as well, and was quite honestly a bit suprised by it - simply because of the way Yates has always carried himself in interviews and in this movie and because of the stories one hears of his temper. I also remember getting a kick out of Hawkings recollection that when he realized something went wrong, he hoped it wasnt Simon Yates who was hurt.... if he had to choose between them.

I guess this speaks to the fact that you can't make judgements about an individual without personally getting to know them, but at the same time I wouldnt be suprised at all if this whole ordeal has just grown tired for Yates, and that is what is coming across. Afterall, he was the one who was unjustly criticized because of it. While his climbing partner has gone on to wealth and fame. Who could blame him for being a bit short when dealing with it now?

This exceprt from a New York Times review is quite telling:

". . .the return stirred intense emotions. Although Mr. Simpson has always defended him, in climbing circles Mr. Yates has never shaken his notoriety as the Man Who Cut the Rope, and the return to Siula drained him of his characteristic good humor. "It was hard for him to be back there," Mr. Macdonald recalled. "There were days when Simon wasn't talking to Joe or me or any of the crew."

Shortly after the trip, Mr. Yates declined to participate further in the documentary. "I think he's fed up with the story and wants to move on," Mr. Macdonald said. "Which you can understand. I think it's haunted his life."

Check the "Trips & Events" board, where I've posted a call for a VFTT "Touching the Void" night in Portland.

ok for a 9-year old?

I saw the film with my 50-some year old lady friend who is a biology professor, and she could not watch some parts; of course, she knew better than a 9-year old the seriousness of Joe's injuries. But, she also knew that he survived, of course....

The f-word use was part of a near-death tantrum, and as noted, was a bit minced by the accent, and seemed very reasonable given the circumstances. Perhaps you can tell your kid that he or she is not allowed to swear unless things are as dire as in the film?

the void

i read the book when it first came out and i couldn't put it down. i hope they have the movie on dvd soon- how was the cinematography? i hope it's awesome. i can't imagine what i must be like to think your partner is dead only to find he is not only alive but the monumental challenges he went thru to make it back to base camp. if i remember correctly, weren't they packing up to leave & if he hadn't shown up when he did all his endeavors would have been for nothing? on the funny side: has anyone read "a walk in the woods" by bill bryson? if not, please do it's hysterical.:D

I think it would be OK for a mature 9 year old. Most of theater squemed in thier seats at some of the intense parts, it's intense. I agree with the above comments on the cursing, it's appropriate use, but it's there. The first thing I'd ask is if it's likely to scare child away from the mountains. The story is nightmarish in so many of it's circumstances.

Shadow Cat - A Walk In The Woods is hands down the funniest hiking book I have ever read. Love it.

peace,
Oysterhead

Can someone please tell me if this film will be shown anywhere in Western MA, Worcester MA, or Vermont?
I cannot find any info as to when and where it will be shown other than where it is playing at this time.
I cannot wait to see this!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ok for a 9 year old?

I took my 8 and 10 year olds to it and except for the language Deadfred mentioned, they were OK knowing that the narrators (Simon, Richard and Joe) were the real people and came out OK.

I will say that when Joe is in the crevasse repeatedly saying the mother of all curses, I did lean over and say "if you ever fall into a crevasse, then that is the *only* time it's OK to say it.".

On a humerous note, I took my kids sledding the week earlier and the hill was 15 inches of powder on top of ice. So (being always prepared) I adjusted a pair of crampons down to my son's size to climb the hill and when he saw the opening climbing scene, says in a child's whisper "those crampons are just like mine!". The older couple in front of us did a double take when they saw his size.

Oh, www.ifcfilms.com has the theater list.

Jim

Last edited:
Maddy - It is currently playing in Albany NY at the Spectrum Theater. I know it is not Western Mass - but it is closer than Boston! It is worth a 2 hr drive to see it!!!:D

Thanks for the replies.
I copied the list and can hardly wait to see it!
I will surely view it more than once.
Maddy
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Does anyone know if this movie will play in Plattsburgh, NY in the near future? I have called the movie theaters and it's not on a listing for showing right now. I have been dying to see this movie as I have heard so much about it.

I took my 9-year old daughter and she enjoyed it. The cursing was minimal. The movie definitely keeps you interested. The re-enactment of the climb seemed very realistic.

please post NoHo schedule

or email me from profile section