Tour du Mont Blanc Planning Q's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ascent? It really is only a day trip...(not the easiest one, but...)

Una and Michael--I haven't done the TMB, but have climbed Mont Blanc, in early September, about 8 years ago. I think once you get in the area you're going to want to make the trip up to the top of Mont Blanc itself--it's just so compelling, and it's THERE.

When I climbed Mont Blanc the highest I had ever climbed was Mt Washington (!) so it is true that one needn't be a mountaineer to "bag this peak." (You two are far more experienced, from what I can tell on VFTT, than I was back then.)

If you do decide to take on MB itself, hire a guide in Chamonix, since he or she will have the ropes and other gear you'll need (would want your own winter boots and crampons, though, although I think you could rent those in Chamonix. )

You go up to 10,000 feet on the night before the climb, stay in a beautiful refuge called Cosmiques, then get up at 3 or so to do the climb. You'd be back down in Chamonix drinking hot wine by dinner time.

All this to say I strongly suggest that you consider it. You won't regret climbing it, but you may regret *not* doing it while you're in the area.

--Carla