Traffic ticket for stickers on rear window

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think SOME of those murals are actually a tint, like some of the confederate flags you see on some p/u trucks so technically not opaque.

I don't recall, but it is not illegal for you to not have an inside rear view mirror because some box trucks, obviously can't use one, but there are regulations on where things like the EZ-PASS transponder can be put on the windshield. Just like there are regulations on where you put the registration sticker.

Believe it or not, a friend of mine got a ticket because his registration sticker (NY State) was simply taped to the windshield, not glued... (he taped the reg. sticker after a tree branch fell on his windshield on the NYS Thruway one day and he had to get a new windshield)... Of course, he has a lead foot too...:)

Jay

I was speeding. In Keene, down Spruce Hill, a little too light on the brake and I let it coast up to about 70 in the 55. I was polite, and I got a ticket to fix a burned out tail light. Which I fixed the next day, sent in the proof, and the ticket was dismissed by the court.

So, back to the OP: Christine...you were speeding, weren't you?

Tom

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner...
Actually, No. 1 might be a strong contender right now, from what I've experienced and heard. I was stopped twice in 15 minutes recently for a burned out headlight. No tickets, but both were young men, one was chewing gum! :p

No, I wasn't speeding. Lately, in my neighborhood drivers stopped because of a burnt small light are very surprised to get a ticket instead of the usual warning!

It's well known that local towns budget annual revenues from local tickets. I have been told that this year as November came the $ target was far from being met due to drivers being overall more respectful of the speed limit. Could it all be a kind of bailout?

Personnally I take it as a tax, I haven't yet decided if I will go to court or not, but most likely not as I can't plead not guilty!

My NYS stickered-up wagon (driver's side rear wagon window)
2227098730071072332NihVNp_th.jpg

Last edited:
In 1970 I failed my first test for my drivers license in western N.Y. because I had an Ithaca College decal on the rear window. I will remain reticent regarding my second and third tests.

Another misconception is having your lights on during the day if your wipers are in use, well that's not quite right! Lights should be on if it's not very bright or there is even light fog! At least that particular recommendation was priceless... today. That was downtown Elisabethtown at 2:35PM coming out of the Grand Union parking lot. It wasn't raining then but it is now heavely.

This one I knew about, as a couple years ago we were driving along in the rain, maintaining the speed limit and were pulled over. The Police Officer told us it was a new safety law to have your headlights on, when the windshield wipers were in use. Fortunately we were not ticketed and let off on a warning. We remember to turn the lights on now. :)

I seriously knew nothing about stickers on the back window.
NYS comes up with some real crazy rules sometimes.

You could actually apply for a reduced ticket. You need to get a copy of your Abstract of your Driver's License at DMV and apply within the County Clerk (I think) to get the ticket reduced. The Judge you go in front of, could help you with this, by giving you the application, if you ask them.

On a brighter sticker note....I saw an ADK 46'r stickeron a car all the way down here in PA while doing some shopping at Kohls. First time I've ever seen one here, it made my day. Wish I would have run into the owner.

On a brighter sticker note....I saw an ADK 46'r stickeron a car all the way down here in PA while doing some shopping at Kohls. First time I've ever seen one here, it made my day. Wish I would have run into the owner.

I know what you mean. I saw a 45'r sticker on a jeep near where I live in the California Sierra. The jeep even had CA plates - it pulled into a vet's office, so I figure they were a local. Didn't have time to stop, but it nevertheless made the world seem alot smaller.

Christine, you've been to the court house a few times this year now, are you on a first name basis with the court yet.:D

I received a ticket for this about 12 years ago in Chatham, NY. I got pulled over at about midnight coming back from a trip to Mass because I did one of those rolling stop moves at a stop sign. The cop asked me the normal questions and was clearly looking to see if I was drunk. When he realized I wasn't he started looking the car over. I had bought the car used about 6 months prior and the previous owner had put one of those we support the "whatever" police type stickers they give you when you donate money to the local police. It was on the front windshield next to the registration in the bottom left front corner (for you out of staters). He goes, "I'm not going to give you a ticker for the stop sign but here is a ticket for having that sticker on your windshield". I told him I didn't even know that was a law (that always works:rolleyes:) and he said, "would you rather have a ticket for the stop sign and get points on your license?" Easy choice. Then I went to court. It kinda went like this:

only like 3 people in court then the Judge, sec, and an officer (not the one who pulled me over). Judge calls me up says hello and starts looking over the ticket. He gets this real confused look on his face and then reads the violation out loud. He looks at the secretary and the officer and asked if they have ever heard of this? The lady says I think so, cop has no idea. He then ask me, did you do something else? I said, "I think he just wanted to see if I had been drinking and then saw the sticker".;) Hey, mostly true just part 1 and 3 with no mention of 2.:)
He then ask if I had taken the sticker off, I said yes and showed it to him. He looked at it and then said ok just throw it out and you can go. I said do I have to pay anything? He said no and I tried not to jump and click my heals like a Toyoto commercial.

Zoom ahead to last June 2007. I parked at the Lincoln head parking area in NH to hit the Pemi. I thought to myself I'll just get a parking sticker now so I don't have to bother with it. I walk in and ask for a year sticker, the ladies in there were looking out the window getting mad that some hiker was letting there dog take a crap on the side of the parking lot. So now one comes over to deal with me. I ask for the year sticker pay my fee and then ask "where does it go" she looks at me clearly mad. On your car. I say yes, thank you, but where on the car? Still mad but sees it as a reasonable question, on your windshield. I say but I'm form NY and it is illegal to have stickers besides your registration and inspection on your windshield. Now she looks really mad, like I'm just making stuff up.:) She goes well, that's where it goes or you'll get a ticket.:mad: I say I'm the first person to ever say this aren't I? Her ->Yes. Ok I guess. Then I hit her with a whopper. Ma'am I've driving a rental so I can't put it on the windshield, can I just put it on the front dashboard for now and put it on my regular car later. She looks at me like I'm the reason for any anger she has ever experienced in her life and says that's where it goes, if you want another one for another vehicle it is 5 dollars. I say no that is all right I'll get it next time thank you, very cheery so that she hopefully forgets about me the moment I shut the door. I then go out and leave the sticker next to the window with something that looks like it belongs there to hold it up against the windshield and go hiking.:cool:

I know what you mean. I saw a 45'r sticker on a jeep near where I live in the California Sierra. The jeep even had CA plates - it pulled into a vet's office, so I figure they were a local. Didn't have time to stop, but it nevertheless made the world seem alot smaller.
That's funny, I had an experience a few years ago where I pulled into a parking lot and the jeep next to me had a pretty girl getting out of it and I quickly saw a 46er sticker in the side window. I was thinking JACKPOT!:D She gets out and I say oh I see the 46er sticker do you go hiking a lot! She says nicely, No, it's my husbands jeep I don't really like hiking but like to run. I was like, oh o...k. Then I starting walking towards the store thinking, wow, it's like that conversion ended once but had two bad endings.:(:(

In 1970 I failed my first test for my drivers license in western N.Y. because I had an Ithaca College decal on the rear window. I will remain reticent regarding my second and third tests.

Well, if you had a Cornell sticker on the backlight, I'm sure you would've passed with flying colors. ;)

(Now, lest any other I.C. alumni get their hackles up, I'm just busting stones. A little ribbing from a former crosstown rival...)

driving a rental so I can't put it on the windshield, can I just put it on the front dashboard for now and put it on my regular car later. She looks at me like I'm the reason for any anger she has ever experienced in her life and says that's where it goes, if you want another one for another vehicle it is 5 dollars.
I believe that if you trade vehicles or crack your windshield they will give you a new sticker at no charge so presumably that would work with a rental if you say you got rid of the old one

I have also found that the stickers peel cleanly enough that if you don't do it too often you could probably reuse the same sticker

I'm sorry you got such a rude person, often these people are seniors on a special program to work a few hours to supplement Social Security and they don't know much about the Forest but are polite about it

My previous car had an area at the bottom of the windshield you couldn't see out of because of the dash so it should have been OK to put stickers there but my new one has 100% visibility

Yesterday, while shopping, I had the opportunity to question a State Trooper about the lights and stickers rules. His answers were that “stickers can’t be placed on any of the glass” of the car but anywhere else is fine for whatever the owner of the vehicle wishes to affix. The lights he said should be on 15 minutes before sunset to 15 minutes after sunrise, whenever the wipers are in use and if foggy.

Afterwards, the DMV office being just across the street I picked up a Driver’s Manual for my evening by the fire. Careful reading confirmed the “glass” rule but not exactly the lights schedule: “The law requires you to use your headlights from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, when visibility is less than 1000 feet (300m) and whenever you are using your windshield wipers to clean rain, snow, sleet, etc. Daytime running lights do not qualify as headlights.”

The content of the section regarding Traffic Tickets Received Out Of State was of interest as well:

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicle does not record convictions of moving traffic violations by NYS non-commercial licensed drivers in other jurisdiction, except traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.”

Christine -

Does the NYS law apply only to cars registered in NYS?

NH says (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/265/265-95.htm):

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 265
RULES OF THE ROAD
Special Rules
Section 265:95

III. No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other nontransparent material upon or adjacent to the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which shall obstruct the driver's clear view of the way or any intersecting way, unless authorized by the director so to do. No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver, as prohibited under RSA 266:58-a.

It does not say NH-registered vehicles only. Stickers for parking permits and the like are so commonplace it would seem that the law is not enforced or unenforceable.

From the clause "which shall obstruct the driver's clear view", I cannot see that a WMNF parking sticker in the lower corner of the windshield is a violation. It's only blocking my view of my hood anyway, not of the roadway."

Tim

"Does the NYS law apply only to cars registered in NYS? "

I haven't been able to find that information but you will notice that cars from Quebec (Canada) don't have a front license plate which doesn't result in ticket in NYS so I guess certain rules apply and others do not.

"Does the NYS law apply only to cars registered in NYS? "

I haven't been able to find that information but you will notice that cars from Quebec (Canada) don't have a front license plate which doesn't result in ticket in NYS so I guess certain rules apply and others do not.

You can't make the plate issuing authority issue you a front plate when they simply don't do it... There is a big difference between that and something you randomly stick on the windshield.

For example, in NH the inspection sticker goes in the center of the windshield behind the mirror. Same with the EZPass. I could see NYS getting snippity about them.

Tim

Just wondering ... how might the "Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other state." provision in Article IV of the U.S. Constitution apply here?

To me, it basically says if window stickers are legal in the state in which a vehicle is registered, that should protect the driver from a citation for driving in a different state where they are illegal. But then, I'm no lawyer or legal scholar.

If nothing else, it would seem like a simple and practical courtesy for state governments to extend to one anothers' residents, in order to encourage their visits.

G.

Just wondering ... how might the "Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other state." provision in Article IV of the U.S. Constitution apply here?

To me, it basically says if window stickers are legal in the state in which a vehicle is registered, that should protect the driver from a citation for driving in a different state where they are illegal. But then, I'm no lawyer or legal scholar.

If nothing else, it would seem like a simple and practical courtesy for state governments to extend to one anothers' residents, in order to encourage their visits.

G.

Excellent point! Are radar detectors still "illegal" in CT?

Tim