Trailwrights - Mt. Pemigewassett trail work 09/19/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
I joined the Trailwrights on Saturday for a work day on the Mt. Pemigewassett trail which is very poor shape. We would put 19 drainages and some rock steps along the trail. It was a great cool day for trailwork and a great group of people.

I came up early and decided to take a quick hike to a little rise on the lower ski slopes of Cannon (near Peabody Lodge). It brought me quickly from 1600' to 2965' in a half an hour. I slipped and scratched leg up pretty good on the way down but it gave me great views in short time.

We met at 8:30AM in the parking lot of the Flume Visitor Center. All in all there were about 15 people or so (mostly from the Trailwrights group but others as well). I met GlennS from this site and Sherpa John from ROT. Hal, our Trailwrights leader, was very informative and knowledgeable about trail construction and pointed out several places in need of future repair along the way. We made a hike of about a mile up and started work on several sites. Work involved screeing in sites where people had gone around a rock stairs, cleaning a major drainage, draining a large muddy site and putting in rock steps. I worked on a few earthen water bars and then moving a large rock to build a few steps. I rounded out the day by successfully cutting through a large beech blowdown with a somewhat dull pulaski. A few pictures are here; I'll try and put more up later. A great day of trailwork was rounded off by pizza at Elvios.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574746075ZuBLOx?vhost=outdoors

Chris, a huge thanks to you and all the others who helped out on this trail project.
It is volunteer efforts such as this that benefit the entire hiking community!

Work Accomplished

I thank you also for some great work sat. and to all 19 people that helped us have a great day. FYI we installed some 13 rock steps.drained some 30 cu.ft of muck,installed some 30 lin. ft. of trailside drainage,replaced 20 lin. ft. of scree to protect rock steps lower down the trail as well as both sides of the 10 steps in the staircase, Installed 10 earth waterbars and 4 dips, installed one rock bar and rebuilt another and cleared 2 blowdowns.On top of that and more important really good camaraderie and banter all day long. Trailwrights thanks you all.

I had a great day in the dirt. If you've never had the chance to get out, you don't know what you're missing. It's like being a kid again. :cool: I will never look at rock steps the same way.

Thanks to Hal and the Trailwrights for organizing the trip and all the work they do to protect the trails.

It was good to meet cgarby and our special guests from north of the border...MEO and Motabobo (How'd you make out on NW Hancock?).

Allene sent me a link to her pic's. Pic's are here

When's the next outing?

Glenn

That was a lot of work in a short time! Excellent job!

I was in the group with the baby - we especially liked the fact that the big blowdown was chopped by the time we passed it on the way down.

Pictures

Great pictures and thank you for sharing them now I won't have to figure out how to do it.
Also it was fun working with you again and mario too. We discussed doing another project there on the 10th. or 24th. Almost all rock work this time NO MUD ! We will post it soon if we do. Again Trailwrights thanks you.

It was good to meet cgarby and our special guests from north of the border...MEO and Motabobo (How'd you make out on NW Hancock?).

I was very pleased to meet you all ! Doing trailwork with the Trailwrights is time well spent :)

NW Hancock was excellent, as you can see on Motabobo's website. See you next time !:cool:

Kudos on your work on Mt Pemi!

I recall hiking Mt Pemigiwassett many years ago. I was impressed with how bad drainage was on those trails. Mt Pemi has a splendid viewing ledge and being moderate distance from the Flume Vistors Center could potentially make it a good destination for families with little kids. However as a ranger I'd be reluctant to recommend this destination to families with kids because the trails were such bad shape. Only problem it must be hard to keep the kid's feet dry. I recall bad footing too. Now it's probably lots better. Improving this trail really enhances hiking resource for this facility. Now visitors can choose from hiking the Flume or hiking Mt Pemi. Great job one and all!!! Great Pics by Allene!

I worked with Trailwrights one time 4 years ago on Kearsarge South. I recognize some folks from that outing. They are a great group. I also recognized trailmaster Craig C who I'll be seeing soon at Cardigan Halloween work weekend.

Last edited:
Trail condtions

Jazzbo: I certainly agree the trail is in rough shape although not as wet as in the past ,it is still wetter than it should be hence the need for a lot of drainage which is being addressed asap. Also some serious erosin signs on several of the short steeper parts. However to me a really serious problem is rearing its head, are the number of roots appearing on many sections of this trail causing possible slipping on the way down when wet. we will address this asap. The view from the N.E Outlook is rapidly growing in too. Much much work needed and no one to do it. Maybe Trailwrights can put a dent in it in the future.