Training with barefoot running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We saw a guy running barefoot up Killington's Bucklin Trail yesterday as we were on our way out. His stride was strange, in that he lifted his knees high. We wondered if that was to keep from stubbing his toes? Or was it a training technique for some other sport? I thought his feet might be cold, but perhaps not, with toughened skin and exercise.

We saw a guy running barefoot up Killington's Bucklin Trail yesterday as we were on our way out. His stride was strange, in that he lifted his knees high. We wondered if that was to keep from stubbing his toes? Or was it a training technique for some other sport? I thought his feet might be cold, but perhaps not, with toughened skin and exercise.
You can shorten up your stride that way and gain a little maneuverability.

-Dr. Wu

We strained not to chuckle at how odd it looked. ;)
I know when I wear the Vibram Five Fingers I shorten up my stride considerably because I need to be much more choosy about where I land my feet at all times. I don't think I flail around but I shorten my stride by raising my knees a little higher but I don't think it's so out of the ordinary. Maybe this guy stepped in dog do or something...

-Dr. Wu

Or maybe he wanted to see if he could raise a chuckle out of us and his attempt fell short. (puns intended)