Tripyramids July 1, 2006 - Adamiata's #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had planned to meet adamiata and hockeycrew at the Depot Camp trailhead at 8:00 so I left Boston around 5:30. I pulled into the parking lot at 7:30 and they were the only folks there, so we actually got on the trail by 7:45. Adam related as we were hiking that this would be his last 2 4000'ers, denying me the thrill of carrying a bottle of champaign. :(

tri01.jpg

The Livermore Road was cool and still, making for nice hiking conditions compared to the sweltering heat of the past few weekends. We made it to the North Tri slide trail (not the South Tri slide, more on that later) in short order, took some food, and then plunged into the woods.

tri03.jpg

The bottom part of slide wasn't very wet, which made the mossy stuff fairly easy. Except my boots are shot, I really need new boots. The morning clear skies were turning to high clouds as the day wore on. The upper part of the slide was dry and clear and easy hiking, but always spectacular. This time I was thinking about skiing. :eek: Next year.

tri08.jpg

We didn't see anyone on the slide, nor on the Livermore Road. A little odd on a July 4th weekend but we weren't complaining. As we got further up the slide the conversation slowed down and we just absorbed the views; except for occasional cries of "Rock!"

tri09.jpg

We stopped at the top of the slide for a snack and some yoga, then continued up the trail to the summit of North Tripyramid. Number 47 for Adam. With a short pause there we pushed on to Middle Tri. We finally saw another person along the way, but just one so far. The ridge is in good shape, just a few blowdowns along the way.

tri12.jpg

Middle Tri, and #48. Adam carried up a beer, and he celebrated with that. We had a nice relaxed celebration up there, the bugs weren't too bad. It was still before noon, it was an early day.

tri14.jpg

The south slide we took slow and easy, there was no need to rush. We met a few folks headed up, who took the south slide by accident because the sign on the Livermore Road isn't clear. We confirmed their suspicions and told them about diverting around the North Slide via Pine Bend Brook and Scaur Ridge. They did have a cute dog that would appreciate the diversion.

tri16.jpg

On the way out we started getting a little bit of rain, but it felt good and we were down off the slides. We decided on the short side trail to the Big Pines where HockeyCrew got a chance to hug a big tree.

Great hike, out by 3:00 PM, congrats to Adam.

-dave-

Just when I think you can't possibly top the 'chicken boy' avatar... :D

Where'd you find that tree son?

That's quite sizable tree she's hugging there. Where abouts did you find that one? Trees of that circumferance are pretty rare in the Whites. I'd say it pre-dates logging that mostly happened between 1880 and 1940's.

Jazzbo said:
That's quite sizable tree she's hugging there. Where abouts did you find that one? Trees of that circumferance are pretty rare in the Whites. I'd say it pre-dates logging that mostly happened between 1880 and 1940's.
On the aptly named "Big Pines Trail" off the Livermore Road. Just a .2 mile stroll from the main trail. There are about 5 of them out there, don't know how they were missed.

-dave-

carole said:
Just when I think you can't possibly top the 'chicken boy' avatar... :D
I think I'll keep Chicken Boy around for a little while. :p

Here's a little video of the hike. Some of you hikers who were kids in the 1970's might recognize the soundtrack.

-dave-

Hey Dave,

Awsome video, I should have hid more when the camera was out (then there would be video of me trying to hide behind tiny bushes). Thanks for coming with us. I had a blast and I'd love to hike with you again.

Adam -
Congrats on all 48 - glad to have done two of them with you.
David - great video! I am certainly old enough to know a 70s song - but I do not recognize it!
Video did a great job of helping understand what the north slide is like - cool!

sapblatt said:
I am certainly old enough to know a 70s song - but I do not recognize it!
Think Saturday mornings, between the cartoons, on ABC. :)

Conjunction Junction, what's your function? Hooking up words, and phrases and clauses.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Think Saturday mornings, between the cartoons, on ABC. :)

Conjunction Junction, what's your function? Hooking up words, and phrases and clauses.

-dave-

Awesome. As soon as I heard a few words, I thought, "Hey, that sounds like SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK." Thanks for the trip back in time. :)

David Metsky said:
On the aptly named "Big Pines Trail" off the Livermore Road. Just a .2 mile stroll from the main trail. There are about 5 of them out there, don't know how they were missed.

-dave-

It's WELL worth the short side trip. Those trees are incredibly majestic. Cute tree hugging pic hockeycrew! :D

bobandgeri said:
Dave - after seeing your hand stand skills...

:eek: