Trypyramids - Saturday 5/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what i was told by a very reliable source...(that was fresh snow)...I could see the slide from Welch three weeks ago and it was bare...I think the exposure of this area makes snow fall off and blow away quickly (not really sure about that...others?)
The guy I know was heading over to the sleepers and did not go over the tri trail so I have no idea about the other trails. I am planning on going bare boot and it is that bad I will turn around.

sapblatt said:
I have been told that the North Slide is all slab and it is often covered with wet moss. I would figure that the moss would be extra wet right now so I am not even consdiering going that route.
North Slide is not a smooth slab--most of it is broken rock, some loose some well attached. Lots of texture with features up to several feet high. I don't recall moss being a serious problem--maybe a bit down low before it breaks out of the vegetation. There are some pictures at http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/tripyramid.html. In summer (and dry), you have to be careful, but nothing to be afraid of.

Faces NW, so it doesn't get much direct sun.

I have done it in late fall when there was a small amount of ice on it. (One could generally go around the ice.) We carried a 9mm rope in case anyone had problems, but didn't need it.

Guesstimate of current conditions:
Since the top of the slide is near 4Kft, it is likely to have some snow high up. Most likely some ice too. Probably doable, but I'd take crampons and an ice axe.

South Slide faces SW, so it should be clear enough to do without too much difficulty.

Check the recent trail condition and trip reports--there have been at least two reports this month.

Doug

blueZ said:
Mike, I'm wondering how difficult North Slide compared to Flume Slide. I did Flume Slide in late November last year. It was icy, pretty scary. at that time, I didn't have crampons, but I managed to summit Flume barefoot. I am thinking if we can do North Slide with crampons on.

No doubt about it!

I did the flume slide- Liberty spring loop on 11/14/04 and had to do a fair amount of bushwacking. Didnt have poles crampons yak trks nothin'.

Still fun though.

cp2000 said:
I did the flume slide- Liberty spring loop on 11/14/04 and had to do a fair amount of bushwacking. Didnt have poles crampons yak trks nothin'.

Still fun though.

I did the same thing (flume slide- Liberty spring loop) on 11/21/04. I had nothing, no poles, Yartrak, ... lots of bushwacking.

All 3 other people (they had Yartrax and poles) in my group refused to go hiking in the winter. :(

blueZ said:
Mike, I'm wondering how difficult North Slide compared to Flume Slide. I did Flume Slide in late November last year. It was icy, pretty scary. at that time, I didn't have crampons, but I managed to summit Flume barefoot. I am thinking if we can do North Slide with crampons on.

Flume Slide.
IMG_2069_jpg.jpg
BlueZ They are comparble in difficulty. Tough I think the North Slide is not as heavily used and the trail need some minor brushing , a nd maybe some paint on the rocks to keep hikers on the route and off the fagile area that is slowly re growing .

Hi Mike,
Have fun on this hike! We hiked them a few years ago, we started at home, to Ferncroft and over Whiteface, then the Tri's and down and out Sabaday falls to the Kank. We camped on the tippy top of middle Triprymid, and had coffee in the tent with the most incredable daybreak/sunrise ever. It was absolutely magic. You should try to talk your wife into hiking... We had most of our best times on the trails and backpacking. Have fun.

Mike... I'm sure that new snow on South Slide has melted away since sunday in this weekes wonderful sunshine. You should be all set there.

Tripyramid Ridge was BURRIED with old snow drifts still, expect snow up there.

Pine Bend Brook... I went down that and there was rotting snow (Old trail pack) down to about 2500' :eek: After that its alot of slippery rocks and mud. Be Careful!

Have fun and be safe.

Oh.. North Slide... no clue on the condition of that beast... I try and stay away from it since I did it on that 80 Degree day in August! :rolleyes: