Tuckerman Ravine Avalanche 1/17/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tucks slides in the winter, that is common knowledge. Surprised they were on there, you wouldn't catch me on those slopes in the winter.

Tucks slides in the winter, that is common knowledge. Surprised they were on there, you wouldn't catch me on those slopes in the winter.

Also interesting that they decided to climb right up to where recent activity had occurred. Kind of like walking up to a Wild animal and sticking your head in it's mouth. Especially after ignoring warnings from the local Rangers. Lot's of things done wrong in this situation. IMO group driven behavior played a big part in the poor decisions made.

I think you summed it up with WOW.

I don't purchase many books that are not available on Nook/Kindle but I go back to "Not Without Peril" often. Especially Tinkham in 1994 as that was the time I was there cutting my teeth in the winter conditions. I was nearly his age and it could have been me and my best friend easily. tying in the book to avalanche (kinda) I don't often think of the slides and ice that breaks and comes hurling down. I don't remember her full name, it was around the same time as Tinkham, IIRC Cheryl may have been it; she was squashed by an ice block in Tucks. My digressive point is often, I don't take the avalanche danger as serious as I should or would if I were in a more prone area like many out west. But that danger is here on the home mountains.

I think you summed it up with WOW.

I don't purchase many books that are not available on Nook/Kindle but I go back to "Not Without Peril" often. Especially Tinkham in 1994 as that was the time I was there cutting my teeth in the winter conditions. I was nearly his age and it could have been me and my best friend easily. tying in the book to avalanche (kinda) I don't often think of the slides and ice that breaks and comes hurling down. I don't remember her full name, it was around the same time as Tinkham, IIRC Cheryl may have been it; she was squashed by an ice block in Tucks. My digressive point is often, I don't take the avalanche danger as serious as I should or would if I were in a more prone area like many out west. But that danger is here on the home mountains.

In comparison to the western states, we are fortunate that Avalanches rarely come to mind for most of the climbs we do on the 4ks. Notable exceptions, Tucks, Gulf of Slides, Huntington Ravine, King Ravine, Great Gulf and a few others ( I listed them in my order of prevalence, according to me), If you venture into these area's, you must be able to read conditions (imo) or at the very least, get an updated FS forecast, ( which is posted daily). I once felt the slope settle on me on Lions head on the traverse half way up, it took me 5 seconds to turn around, a no brainer. I've been in a slide, once is enough.

In comparison to the western states, we are fortunate that Avalanches rarely come to mind for most of the climbs we do on the 4ks. Notable exceptions, Tucks, Gulf of Slides, Huntington Ravine, King Ravine, Great Gulf and a few others ( I listed them in my order of prevalence, according to me), If you venture into these area's, you must be able to read conditions (imo) or at the very least, get an updated FS forecast, ( which is posted daily). I once felt the slope settle on me on Lions head on the traverse half way up, it took me 5 seconds to turn around, a no brainer. I've been in a slide, once is enough.
Lions Head had a large slide in the late 1960s or early 1970s (perhaps in the winter of 69-70?). I was told that the slide crossed the road/trail below.

The winter route followed the slide path for a number of years until it grew in--my first winter ascent (1975 or 1976?) followed this route.

Slides are pretty common in the ravines off the Mt Washington massif. Most occur during and/or within ~24hrs of snow storms or blowing snow events.

Ammonoosuc Ravine also slid recently, blocking the trail. (Last year or the year before?)

I think the auto road and Jewell Tr are pretty safe from slides...

Doug

Last edited:
Wasn't there a small avalanche on Lions Head just last Winter or Winter before? Was a YouTube video from someone who caught it on a cell phone I think. That's enough activity for me to warrant checking the reports before heading out, even if it is unlikely.