Twins, Galehead, Hale, Good to be back in the Saddle!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenC

Reaction score
Avitar: Sunset from Perch : Home:Western Mass
After a long absence from up north due to an extended project, it was good to get out with my buddy Bill last weekend! 7/23. Normally i wouldn't post a pretty standard trip but it felt good to get back up to the special place we all call the Whites.

After a quiet night at Sugarloaf we did an early carspot at the Gale River TH, then headed to Haystack Road and the North TH. There were a coupe of cars in the lot bur the woods was otherwise quiet. My first time up North Twin was this past winter on Cantdog's winter completion hike. What a contrast!@@ From the heap of unbroken snow! The hike to the third crossing was un eventful, crossings were no problem. Just a quiet meander along the Little River on a beatifull day!

At the third crossing we caught a couple that was headed up and chatted briefly. Up and on along the traverse and switchbacks, and finially up the quick right and into the smaller trees.

Winter comparison...I was amazed here!! This winter when we traversed from breaking out to the summit we were looking over the trees for the most part. Today the trees were a long way up! WOW, There was a LOT of snow up there for sure..

We made the summit of N Twin as small group form the Hut was heading off so the viewpoint and summit was quiet. The views were very fine! Crisp clear air, some low clouds gave you the feeling of being up higher than you were. The AM was a mix of spotty couds, combined with cooler air we added a layer for the trip to S. Twin.

We then made the strool down and up to S. Twin and hit the summit the same time as a group of two that had come from Guyotte Campsite, chated briefly, then we found a spot on the warm rocks out of the breeze for a snack and some lazing around.

This was one of those days that i could have spent hours just sitting, reading, and being in the moment! But alas, Galehead was on our agenda for Bills list so it was down the Twinway towards Galehead hut. We rock hopped our way down to the hut, dumped our packs and headed up to Galehead. I warned Bill that this was not a "View" summit. But the lookout on the way has excellent views across the valley. I said "Just think of the summit as a quiet place for contemplation :) and a cairn! We stopped at the lookout admired the view and headed to the summit. Yup, that's it, the rock cairn!

He headed back to the hut, chated with a few people and had a quick snack. From there it was a pleasant walk in the woods down the Gale River Trail back to the car. The trail was fairly wet but no crossing problems at all.

Back to the campsite for a good meal and a few cold ones...

Sunday we decided to do Hale before heading home while we were in the area. We got up early hit the Hale Brook trail up to Hale, chatted briefly with three gals form VT. Then headed down the Lend a Hand. I'd never been on Lend a Hand, what a neat trail with lots of variety! Stopped at the Zealand hut, chatted with the Croo, sat lazed about on the rocks, then headed out oj Zealand to the car...

Great weekend, felt good to be back, Bill got to add 4 peaks to his list, i added S. Twin. S/ Twin makes me around 30 for all season so i may actually get serious about finishing. I'd really like to plan to finish my all season during this winter. Just have to fugure out which peak to do it on.

Two GREAT days in the woods...

No Pics up yet, i've been really bad about taking photos lately..

Ken

Glad to see you back on the trails!
I can't wait for the pictures up to North Twin. The trip we had in the winter was really amazing with all the snow and I went back up in April and there was still a significant amount left everywhere.