Typical winter ascent route of the Carters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseri

Reaction score
I'd like some feedback regarding the following winter ascent routes of the Carters. We're planning on hitting them in early Jan. I've got three route options but I'm not sure which would be best or maybe there is a better route that I haven't thought of.

1) Up 19 mile to the hut and ascending Carter Dome via Carter Moriah. From there we go across Middle & S. Carter and down Imp using the Camp Dodge Cut off.

2) Same as above but in the opposite direction.

3) Up 19 mile to Carter Dome trail and across South & Middle Carter. Backtrack to Zeta Pass and then on to Carter Dome. We can either descend to the hut or backtrack to Zeta Pass and descend via Carter Dome trail and 19 mile.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I've done them several times in winter, and usually went up via 19 Mile Brook, then Zeta Pass. I do Carter Dome first, then back-track to Zeta and then over and back to the other 2 Carters and return the same way via Zeta and back down 19 Mile.

I've always felt that was the shortest & easiest way to do them.

I'd bypass the hut. You lose elevation if you include it, and it's out-of-the-way. Plus, the trail between the hut and Carter Dome is steep and no fun in either direction.

YMMV.

the long loop up imp and then out through carter notch and 19 mile (or the reverse) would certainly be the most varied and interesting. i don't think imp is as heavily used as an approach to the carters (especially in the winter) as the 19 mile/carter dome route is. 19 mile is pretty much guaranteed to be broken to the hut. carter dome trail is usually pretty heavily used as well. if right after a storm you could be doing some breaking to south and middle. whatever route you choose, it's all really a straight forward snowshoe except for the section between carter dome and carter notch on the carter moriah trail. the lower steep section can be tricky depending on conditions. crampons could be a good idea to have just in case.
if conditions are real nice you could throw the wildcats in and make a nice long hike out of it.
have fun.

bryan

I vote #1. 19 mile brook is a nice warm up, you can take a break at the hut before heading up to Carter Dome (that section is steep). Break again on Carter Dome and then cruise through South, Middle and down. Me and Paradox did this with heavy packs and continued on to North Carter and to the Imp Campsite for an overnight. We planned to hit Moriah in the morning but I had pulled a muscle coming down North Carter (miserable section of trail) so we just hiked out Stony Brook. Nice winter overnight though.

Kevin's suggestion makes sense, though. I personally enjoyed seeing the hut and lakes and didn't mind the steepness of that next section.

Last edited:
I think the 'typical' route is 19 MBT to CDT to Zeta Pass, and then go out-and-back, in both directions. Basically, you are tracing the outside of a T.

I did this route last March, and included Mt. Hight, which has awesome views, and provides nice butt sliding back down to Zeta Pass.

Tim

I've been up and down all the trails on the Carters but I've never done them in winter. I like the idea of heading up 19 mile and Carter Dome to Zeta Pass. Hit Dome and make my way over to Middle & South summits. I didn't think Imp would be traveled much but wanted to throw that idea out there.

Hight is amazing and should the day allow for another visit we'll be sure to go there.

Carters...

Since I will likely be hiking this with you, I vote for #3 including Hight! I would even skip Middle Carter to do Hight.

Last edited:
Done South & Middle in winter & late November before, the three of them in early April. All three with trips on Imp, two with the Dodge Cut-off the first time I didn't know better.

My preference would be up Carter Dome trail to Zeta Pass & then out to C-Dome & back. If views, then do Hight, if not no need to. In a big snow year, you actually get decent views from spots on the way to C-Dome & could skip Hight. Going up 19 mile to Carter Notch is steep but it's not that long. (went down it when I did C-Dome)

While in a big snow year you can get a view form South Carter (we did a couple of years ago) it also means your pack & head can be in the canopy between South & Middle. The view from South was'nt that nice, we still had 4-5 feet of tree to look over.

Tim,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Head over to Middle, back to Zeta and then evaluate the weather, time, trail conditions and condition of the group. If all things fall into place we can head over to Dome alone or Dome & Hight.

Here was our actual time table from last March - may or may not help you:

0:00 Depart Nineteen Mile Brook
0:50 Jct. Carter Dome Trail
2:15 Zeta Pass
2:45 South Carter
4:00 Middle Carter
5:00 South Carter
5:30 Zeta Pass
6:30 Carter Dome
7:15 Mount Hight
7:45 Zeta Pass
8:30 Jct. Ninteen Mile Brook
9:15 Back to car

View from the 'Dome:

Note that we estimated the sign on the true summit had 4' of snow, and that the north end of the clearing, ordinarily some 5-6 feet lower, probably had 10-12', and was actually higher than the top of the real summit sign. So, MikeP's comment rings true - lots of snow makes for nice views from C-D.

Tim

Carters

If I were to do it again I would go the same way we did: 19MB to CDT to Carter Dome, then back to Zeta and over to South and Middle, BUT from there I would come down North Carter Trail to Imp, providing it was packed out. Short whack to Camp Dodge and short roadwalk to 19MB trailhead.

We skipped Hight because it was drifted deep and not packed out. Deep snow gave us views over the trees on most of the hike.

I've only been on Carter-Moriah Trail from the hut to the summit of Dome once and found it very steep and full of obstacles. I have no desire of going that way in winter if I can avoid it.

KDT

If I were to do it again I would go the same way we did: 19MB to CDT to Carter Dome, then back to Zeta and over to South and Middle, BUT from there I would come down North Carter Trail to Imp, providing it was packed out. Short whack to Camp Dodge and short roadwalk to 19MB trailhead. KDT

I've done this variation twice. One time we spotted vehicles on Imp TH (there are actually 2 TH's) and the other times did the 'whack and then the roadwalk (actually did this 'whack twice). Mostly the trails were not broken out, or only broken out partially, so be prepared that. It's much easier if you do this leg to do it heading down - not up.

Also, if you include Hight, do Dome first. There's a steep, rocky section and it's easier to do on the downhill. Even though Hight has great views, not too many people do it in winter, so be prepared to break it out.

Also, if you include Hight, do Dome first. There's a steep, rocky section and it's easier to do on the downhill. Even though Hight has great views, not too many people do it in winter, so be prepared to break it out.
Last time I did Hight (from Zeta Pass), we followed the trail toward Carter Dome and turned toward Hight when we reached the ridge. Hight itself was blown clear of snow--there was some breaking along the ridge, but much less than if we had gone to Carter Dome.

The views from Hight were so nice (a bluebird day) that we never did bother to go over to Carter Dome...

Doug

I've done them several times in winter, and usually went up via 19 Mile Brook, then Zeta Pass. I do Carter Dome first, then back-track to Zeta and then over and back to the other 2 Carters and return the same way via Zeta and back down 19 Mile.

I've always felt that was the shortest & easiest way to do them.
I can prove from map/guidebook that's not the shortest but it may well be the easiest

CD from the hut can have either very deep snow that is very hard to ascend or be so icy that even people with full crampons take detours in the woods, while via Zeta Pas is a graded trail although it can have some drifting

S&M I've usually climbed via Zeta Pass and returned that way as a habit from the good old days where you break trail wherever you go hence return same way on long hikes, but the other descent is shorter if you have energy or know it's broken out

S&M I've usually climbed via Zeta Pass and returned that way as a habit from the good old days where you break trail wherever you go hence return same way on long hikes, but the other descent is shorter if you have energy or know it's broken out
Ah yes, the good old days. I think I can still remember back that far... :)

If one does a loop it might make sense to ascend via the more popular route (probably via 19 Mile Brook Tr and Zeta Pass) and descend via the the less popular route. Less chance of having to break trail going uphill.

Doug

Roy - By "shortest" I meant time-wise. There might be a shorter route distance-wise.

The trail from CD that breaks off and goes to Hight can be a little tricky to spot if the snow is really deep. I'd hate to miss Hight if I was that close, but echo what the others have said, if there are no views.