Ugliest, scariest animal I've ever seen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this was always the best explaination. Condition of the animal.

"Contacted Thursday afternoon in Gray, Scott Lindsay, a Maine wildlife biologist, agreed. Without knowing the stage of decomposition the canine was in when photographed, Lindsay said that from viewing photographs published in Wednesday’s Sun Journal it looked like the animal’s abnormal facial features were caused by cerebral edema, or brain swelling.

"It can make the ears look proportionally small, and all around the muzzle and head, it’s swollen up. So, it was probably a dog," Lindsay said.

Sanborn said decomposition can also curl an animal’s lip as the skin dries, revealing the teeth."

This must be a big time story, because it was on the 10:00 news last night...all the way out here in Hawaii. This is about as far as you can get from Maine in the US. They showed the pix and said that it was most likely a "mutant coyote". Not sure what their source of info was. I'm going with the feral chow / coyote / wolf / pig dog mix. Anyone who has hiked and camped in Maine knows there are more of these out there. We should get Ted Nuggent to hunt them down.

- darren

Looking at the photos on the link Rick posted I have to agree that:

1) That woman is ugly. And she called the dog "a hybrid mutuant of something"? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

B) Looking at the head shot of the dog in that article, it looks a lot like a chow. Just one that hasn't had a bath or any care in years. Not suprising in that neck of the woods. Some folks up there can barely feed themselves, never mind the dog.

iii) The fact that it supposedly killed a Rotti and a Doberman doesn't suprise me. Some dogs will fight to the death to protect what they believe is theirs, especially when they have had to do so for many years.

wild dog encounters

A long time ago a friend of mine and I had an idea that it would be a fun to explore the ruins of Roosevelt Island at night. At that time, the early 80's, Roosevelt Island was fairly undeveloped and a lot of film companies would go there to shoot scenes using the ruins of the old hospital and insane asylum as a creepy back drop for horror, suspense, or action films. Some of the films shot there included "King of NY" with Christopher Walken and "The French Connection" with Gene Hackman.

Little did we know, but at that time it seems that some NYC residents were abandoning unwanted house pets on the deserted parts of the island. 3 minutes after we circumnavigated a fence we got surrounded by a pack of wild dogs that were apparently using the ruins as a den. I grabbed my friend and said something like "don't run" or "be still" as the mangiest pack of dogs I ever saw barked and snarled at us, partially illuminated by the distant lights of Manhattan coming from across the East River.

My experiences as a paperboy served me well, having had all kinds of canine encounters as a young boy. We packed up slowly and eventually got back to the fence and around it, the dogs losing interest once we got out of their territory. Both of us were glad not to have been bitten by dogs that fed on cats, rats, garbage, and who knows what else in that forsaken place. :eek:

funkyfreddy said:
A long time ago a friend of mine and I had an idea that it would be a fun to explore the ruins of Roosevelt Island at night. At that time, the early 80's, Roosevelt Island was fairly undeveloped and a lot of film companies would go there to shoot scenes using the ruins of the old hospital and insane asylum as a creepy back drop for horror, suspense, or action films. Some of the films shot there included "King of NY" with Christopher Walken and "The French Connection" with Gene Hackman.

Little did we know, but at that time it seems that some NYC residents were abandoning unwanted house pets on the deserted parts of the island. 3 minutes after we circumnavigated a fence we got surrounded by a pack of wild dogs that were apparently using the ruins as a den. I grabbed my friend and said something like "don't run" or "be still" as the mangiest pack of dogs I ever saw barked and snarled at us, partially illuminated by the distant lights of Manhattan coming from across the East River.

My experiences as a paperboy served me well, having had all kinds of canine encounters as a young boy. We packed up slowly and eventually got back to the fence and around it, the dogs losing interest once we got out of their territory. Both of us were glad not to have been bitten by dogs that fed on cats, rats, garbage, and who knows what else in that forsaken place. :eek:

Woaahh ! Cool story. I visited Roosevelt Island once while in NYC, and even now with condos everywhere it still gives the creeps. We saw few rats running across the street, and the darkness and quietness of the place was really strange. I think I would like to stay there...

darren said:
This must be a big time story, because it was on the 10:00 news last night...all the way out here in Hawaii. This is about as far as you can get from Maine in the US. They showed the pix and said that it was most likely a "mutant coyote". Not sure what their source of info was. I'm going with the feral chow / coyote / wolf / pig dog mix. Anyone who has hiked and camped in Maine knows there are more of these out there. We should get Ted Nuggent to hunt them down.

- darren

Darren, you scamp -- Wow! :D

Dogs, hunting and rock 'n' roll all rolled into one post! (From the site owner, no less.)

My vote is for feral dog, dead a few days when photographed. Looks to be in similar condition to various road kill I frequently see. Bambi and Rocky Raccoon sleeping at the edge of the pavement or in the ditch can become quite monstrous in fairly short order.

G.

I would have to definetly say it is a wolf mutant, think about the types of traits dogs have, then look at the structure of the animal. I think because of the very very low wolf genentic pool that is in the northeast may effect what or who they breed with. There are a few wolves around, but they don't have enough other wolves to breed successfully with. They would go for a stray dog if they could to breed with. -Mattl

funkyfreddy said:
Little did we know, but at that time it seems that some NYC residents were abandoning unwanted house pets on the deserted parts of the island.
Funny you should mention that. I've had experiences with a pack of wild dogs in NYC.

Before the area was fixed up, there was an abandoned cemetary near York College, in Queens. On Archer Ave IIRC. There was also some... empty area that had parts from an amusement park... broken ferris wheel, etc. The cemetary was the home for a pack of wild dogs. Skinny, bones-sticking-out, drooling things. If their eyes glowed in the dark, it wouldn't have made them any scarrier.

No hyumans lived in the area, and there was no business. We used to park on that street, because the parking was free. You just had to face the dogs.

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
Well if that is a woman, it looks as if she'd been beaten with an ugly stick!...Yeah baby!

That's enough!

Mocking people's appearance is something most of us got over in or before junior high school. Or should have.

The defunct critter looks to be a dog of some kind, dead for a while. Not pretty. But not some kind of preternatural creature.

G.