Ultrahiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of hiking do you typically prefer?

• Bring on the pain! The more peaks and steep routes, the better!

Votes: 36 29.0%
  • I like to get in a few peaks and some good exercise, but I'm not a masochist.

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • If I grab a peak, so be it. But just getting outside is what is important.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • What's the point? I'd rather smell the roses.

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
Well... I just did a Gothics-Pyramid-Sawteeth-Blake-Colvin loop for my "warm-up" hike, so you know where I stand. It's not necessarily for the peaks though. Last December I hiked from my house to my father's just to say I did it... 27 miles. If I'm with the wife or friends, I like to stop and smell the roses.

Most of my hiking so far has been around the Franconia Ridge area, where I've red-lined almost all the trails. My biggest thrills so far have been Kinsman Ridge (especially the Cannonballs!), above the treeline on Mt Lafayette, and the last bit of climb up to Mt Garfield. Being a long-time couch potato, I'm a little mystified at this attitude now that I'm in my 40s. Pushing my limits on the weekend makes me pretty euphoric during the work week. I've been doing some easier trails this spring to get ready for some bigger stuff this summer and fall, and I have a great time as long as I get some VFTTs!

level of difficulty

While I personally like option #1, my problem is finding other people to hike with to share that sentiment. What usually ends up happening is that I overestimate what other people can do and it ends up getting a little less enjoyable than it otherwise would be. Maybe it's because on the few hikes I've done by myself I underestimate what I can do....

I enjoy class 3 routes, they challange me to both think and extend myself phyically as well as mentally. I chose to head out west where most class 3 routes are found, that was 4 yrs ago. Ive enjoyed the challange of the many peaks Ive done from the Sierra's to the CO rockies, but alas Im heading back to NH in July. Im very anxious to see and climb the Whites, Im very homesick for those lush appalachians and water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
On a side note, I think we are very lucky in the east, many westerners scoff at the lowly elevations in the Apps, but the diversity of the terrain and mostly the weather in the winter, provides us easterners with one heck of a training ground. I remember my first big peak out west.
Mt Dana (13005 ft). I spent the night at the base and it had snowed over night, about 6 inches. As I climbed up the peak in the clouds, I ran into 2 seperate parties turning back, they commented that it was cold, visibilty was very low and where not sure if conditions warranted heading for the summitt. I couldnt believe what I was hearing, I heading up alone and had the summitt to myself as the clouds lifted, visibility increased to 100 miles or so, the sun shone on me alone up there thinking, theses California dudes havent seen anything, on MT Washington that would have been a great day.
Sorry I digress.

I love the kind of hikes where there is always a hint of danger, not enough to get you hurt, but enough to keep you on your toes. This may mean a little exposer or realizing that you still have 7 miles to go and it's almost dusk :rolleyes: You always know you had a good hike when you go to bed that night and hurt like heck from head to toe.

Roses Above Treeline

Arghman,

Start sniffing around the Whites' Lakes of the Clouds hut at this time of year, Arghman - you'll go nose to tiny petal with the Dwarf Cinquefoil, a full fledged member of the Rose (Rosaceae) family....wayyy above treeline.

Just don't walk on them; they're considered rare!

HH1 said:
a full fledged member of the Rose (Rosaceae) family....wayyy above treeline.
right, and mountain avens and cloudberry also. You know you're a plant geek when you know the latin name for something but just can't think of what its common name is.... (Loiseleuria procumbens, that's, um... alpine azalea? yeah. :rolleyes: )

We love the sense of accomplishment too! and the exercise we get while out. I'm not for exercising in a gym so this is the way I stay fit. I need a reason to exercise other than the obvious.

It is nice to be out in the woods. I feel less burdened. I don't have to worry about bills, cleaning the house, running around. I just have to enjoy the outdoor and my kids and maybe learn about the plants and stuff we see around us. But I confess I love the lists. It helps me stay focused. I get out of control when I have too many choices and end up doing nothing. The lists help me to have a goal to reach so it's a win win all the way around for me. and I know when we were doing the Hundred Highest for NE that some of the peaks on there I never would have chosen to do but am so glad I did because they were wonderful! That was another added bonus.

The kids say they can always tell when we need to get out hiking because mommy gets grumpy!

I finished with lists in the 60's, and now it's rose-smelling time. But that takes different forms. Last September I climbed up Huntington Ravine, came down Lion Head, climbed Huntington again, and then did it once more for good luck. Lots of roses there.

The Sikes said:
. . .The kids say they can always tell when we need to get out hiking because mommy gets grumpy!

Wait! Is my name being taken in vain, here? :mad:

No sweat, either way. ;)

G.

I have to say I like the challenge and I like pushing myself to the limits of the unknown - so I voted for # 1!

I have medical conditions that I am dealing with that make me work even harder at times but I manage and when I do reach the top and in record time (extra bonus) I think that somehow the mountain has pushed me and all the blood, sweat and tears is so worth the experience!!!

Hike on everyone!!!

sweet roses

tonycc said:
Mmmmmm, Sweet Sue's....

I had a hard time choosing between 2 and 3, this comment made me realize why. I want a good enough work out so I can eat good food with no guilt, yet I just love being outdoors. Lists are one of the tools I use to develop motivation to get out there.

Tony
hmmmm sweet sue's... i go for the oatmeal raisin cookie dipped in nutella yummy..... definitly it's a toss up between 2 and 3. but isn't life all about taking the time to smell those sweet roses!

I probably vote for all four, depending. If I am with someone, then I value the social experience of sharing the mountains, but I take pride when I have challenged myself and done something difficult and the aches and scrapes from something hard are something I take pride in. I am trying to appreciate the forests and the trail, but going above treeline is absolutely the greatest for me. Peter Boardman said he finally figured out why he climbed, because he believed that each mountain climbed made him a better person. I believe that, whether the mountain is little or big and if it is too big I feel I am a better person for having tried -- in some cases three times.

Mike

Its all good

When I am solo I typically push myself hard and I am a solo list person. So I plan on how i can do as many peaks as possible on the list I am working on in any single day. I have day hiked from multiple trail heads to cross off more summits.

The rest of the time I am hiking mostly with my kids and it is a number 4 sometimes 3. I love being out there with them enjoying nature and talking with them it is a really great bonding experience.

Someday they will be leaving me in the dust and my solo hikes will come to bear fruit and help me keep up. Maybe
Al

I have a mild interest in the list thing, but definitely a very strong interest in challenging hikes with lots of elevation, scrambling and other esthetics of the particular trail. Since I enjoy beautiful tough trails so much, I tend to repeat a certain group of these trails over and over rather than hiking up many other peaks where the trails are not as tough or challenging. Perhaps I would do it differently if I didn't have to drive 3+ hours to hike in the Whites. Given that though, when I go, I like to do the most exciting, spectacular trails. I'm actually trying to broaden my scope, knowing that I can find quite a challenging workout and lots of beauty in a larger number of trails than those I've done many times.

The other thing I do on my hikes is to force myself to stop at least a couple times for at least 10-20 minutes, usually someplace with a view and away from talking people, and really come to rest and let myself sort of merge with all that is around me for the time. It has been a bit of a struggle to do this since my mind and body often want to go go go, and that's fine, but it is also good for me to stop and be at peace for some time.

Artex said:
I've become obsessed with peakbagging and wicked tough trails or routes that kick my butt. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from climbing a new mountain and/or pushing myself physically to new levels. The antithesis of this would perhaps be the "stop and smell the roses" philosophy. I can certainly understand that, but the goal-oriented side of hiking better suits my personality. It seems that most people who post here are more of the peakbagging variety, but I was curious as to where on the spectrum everyone lays.

Considering that I often hike with Artex, it's not an option for me. :D
Seriously, I love the physical and mental challenge of pushing myself up a mountain without stopping, or doing a typical 3 day backpack in 2 days, or doing a long dayhike like the Devil's Path.

At the same time, I'll follow the "when in Rome" thing and really enjoy a weekend stroll with a group. While I prefer the physical aspect, when it comes down to it, it's all good. Strolling or hammering, it beats sitting on the couch (unless of course the Sox are spanking the Yankees ;) )

in hiking/climbing as in life, i'm a short burst person. i like doing 14-20 miles in a day, some of it spent lounging, some of it spent exerting copious amounts of energy.

i used to enjoy the most punishing stuff, but as the years have gone bye and my knees have turned into those of a 50 year old in a 26 yr old body, my perspective has changed, and i can actually enjoy easier stuff. i did a 5 mile hike today off of the kanc highway and thought of doing a big one like adams or madison tomorrow but my knees convinced me to keep driving home and to go to the beach tomorrow and let the poor boys heal from overuse.