Ultrahiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of hiking do you typically prefer?

• Bring on the pain! The more peaks and steep routes, the better!

Votes: 36 29.0%
  • I like to get in a few peaks and some good exercise, but I'm not a masochist.

Votes: 59 47.6%
  • If I grab a peak, so be it. But just getting outside is what is important.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • What's the point? I'd rather smell the roses.

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

Artex

Reaction score
I've become obsessed with peakbagging and wicked tough trails or routes that kick my butt. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from climbing a new mountain and/or pushing myself physically to new levels. The antithesis of this would perhaps be the "stop and smell the roses" philosophy. I can certainly understand that, but the goal-oriented side of hiking better suits my personality. It seems that most people who post here are more of the peakbagging variety, but I was curious as to where on the spectrum everyone lays.

Depending on my mood I can be found anywhere on the spectrum, any place, any time. In fact, I often carry roses on speed hiking and trail runing trips just to get the odd whiff. :)

In my case.. hard to answer Tex. I enjoy days where I stop and smell the roses and take tons of pictures with my Camera.

Then there are those "other days" where I beat the crap out of myself physically, mentally and emotionally.

Which days do I like better?? Hmmm... well.. they both have their ups and downs. ;)

I'm the same as Neil -- it really depends on the day. Sometimes a nice easy stroll through the woods is great, other days I want to come off a hike feeling like I really got a challenging workout.

I haven't gotten bitten by the peak bagging bug yet, it may be because I still have so many left to do.
I also haven't really focused too much on speed or distances. I'm pretty content with day hikes and book times at this point.

The one thing that I've really been drawn to is big elevation gain over a short distance. I love steep, rocky trails, I love scrambling and I love exposure. :D

^MtnMike^

I'm good with all of it. It's the forest, not the peaks, that draws me in. I usually have a peak in mind for a tentative plan for my hike. I've probably climbed most of the "list peaks" many times. As soon as my boots hit the trail, I have achieved my goal!!!

I do get a euphoric type of feeling from long, hard hikes. At age 41, you start to understand how very prescious a grueling day on the trails really is.

Wow, Artex, you've got me thinking of the Bonds for Saturday ;)

I'd have to agree with MtnMike; the elevation itself doesn't concern me as much as steep, rocky trails, risky scrambles, and LOTS of exposure.

There have been a few times where I've been in the "summit zone" and have pushed myself further than I should, but the older I get, the better I have control over it. Otherwise, just being outside and away from the city is the most important thing.

I am in the same boat/forest as most here...I am certainly into my list, and therefore peaks, and I am often trying to see how I can get more than one or two on a trip. In fact, would I being doing 15-20 miles in the Presi's this weekend if I were not something of a masochist? That being said I still love the forest and the cols and the easier parts too...I really enjoyed the forested monsoon hikes I had this spring on Passaconaway and coming down from Galehead. The forest is very cool when seen in many different forms, especially rain and snow! :)

# 1 and # 4 are out for me, so it was a coin toss between # 2 and # 3. When I hike I like to get a good workout and work up a good sweat, it's important for me to feel a sense of accomplishment when finished. That being said, I'm also humbly thankful that I have the physical capability just to get outside and hike up a mountain or any trail for that matter. There are those who sadly cannot do the same. I always try to keep this in mind while hiking; that's my way of smelling the roses. That's why I voted for # 3. :)

Well, I've been hiking for a few years and climbing 4Ks for 30 years and I still haven't done half of the 67 yet. In fact, I haven't even finished the 14 in Maine. Many, many repeats, though.

Clearly I'm a Category III (and loving it). :)

Most of my hiking now is limited by the fact that I'm breaking in my 8 1/2 and 10 year old boys.
As they get bigger, the Peaking will increase. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up !

Last edited:
I've had trips where I've been accused of being a robo-hiker, cranking out long, fast days. Other trips, I've gone solo and spent a couple days wandering around one mountain with a camera. Most recent trip was with the family: 2 miles into a col between two peaks for a quick overnight, just for the sake of getting out there and eating pancakes at Sweet Sue's the next day.

I'm still not working on any peakbagging lists, although I enjoy getting to the top. I'll happily hike with anyone who's working on a list, but for now a list has no meaning for me.

Each trip has its own story or meaning--and not always the meaning I've intended when I set out on it. The best trips are the one's when I'm open to the story the trip has to tell and with people who are seeking meaning from the trip in compatible ways.

masochist to the end. I'm in it for the grueling hardcore workout hike that probably makes me miserable to be with in the woods. However, it takes away the pain that used to accompany the running addiction....

Halite said:
eating pancakes at Sweet Sue's

Mmmmmm, Sweet Sue's....

I had a hard time choosing between 2 and 3, this comment made me realize why. I want a good enough work out so I can eat good food with no guilt, yet I just love being outdoors. Lists are one of the tools I use to develop motivation to get out there.

Tony

Second Camp Sam

I am certainly a peakbagger. I'm working on several lists at the same time and I like to hit as many peaks as possible. I do hike at a good clip, better than book time, but I'm not racing through my hikes. I could hike faster but, then I'd miss the things I came out for. I enjoy being in the woods and taking in nature almost as much as hitting that peak. It is the journey, not just the destination. I stop and take pictures whenever there is a good shot to be had. Why not? I enjoy looking at them after and remembering.

I do enjoy a good workout and the harder I work for it, the more I struggle, the more I appreciate the summit. However, I'm not going to do an up and back on Huntington Ravine blindfolded and packless in a straightjacket just because it would be challenging. I get my real pain at the gym so there is less of it on the mountain!

That being said, the second option is me.

Most likely I am a one and three with the others thrown once in awhile. I resist doing list though I have done the ADK 46 three times. The multiple trips due to friends who were also peak bagging. Did the N-P and then the A-T from Ma to Katahdin in sections. When standing on top of Katahdin the decision to do the 111 was rather easy as most were done. When standing on top of North Brother the final 111er actually number 113 (or more as the second summit on Tabletop was done along with Yard both of which should count) my hiking partner asked "what's next" I said "I don't know since we don't do lists." We banged around a few of the ADK 100 highest and after receiving a serious beating on Blue Ridge ( Schroon Lake) with no view no reward beyond achieving the summit we looked elsewhere. One week later we stood on Antler Peak a bump on the Sourdough Ridge less than an air mile from Rainier and were simply awestruck. This mountain instantly became the best reward vs work summit ever. 900 foot ascent over about a mile and the view started in the parking lot. 216 4k plus summits in the Cascades later the different summit list reaches 725. 1250 counting reclimbs. We discovered there are a lot of non list mountains that are worth the effort. Chacora (NH) Old Blue (Me) Catamount (ADK) High Rock (Wa) as an example. Presently we are searching out unclimbed summits to add to our total. But no we do not do list, I think that is spelt d-e-n-i-l-e.

As an inveterate, dedicated, enthusiastic, hard core rose-sniffer, I find myself in a tiny minority here. No prob. I figure I can rose-sniff rings around just about anybody. I’m that good at it. So there.

To me, “smelling the roses” means savoring whatever it is I happen to be doing. I’m an enthusiastic hiker, but not obsessive about any particular aspect of it or doing any particular kind of hike. I can get great pleasure out of (savor) doing easy hikes or difficult ones, hikes that carry me across the flatlands or up mountains, short hikes and mid-length and long hikes. I can get pleasure out of coming home pooped, or coming home feeling fresh and perky, and anything in between. If my pathway is dull, pleasure can be found in the walking itself; if the way is interesting the trail is to be appreciated for what it is; mixing both is a distinct possibility. Overcoming obstacles is a joy, but no moreso than having an unobstructed go of it. Fine weather is something to be appreciated; if the weather is harsh, enjoyment and satisfaction come from “weathering it.”

Etc.

All-in-all, I feel like an ultra lucky hiker, come to think about it.

G.

I like all four. Forced to pick one, I'd pick #2. My favorite thing, though, is a backpacking traverse - and I definitely do like to have a few days where I rack up the miles (not as many as some, but a lot for me). But, on other days it's a good swim and lying around outdoors in some awesomely beautiful place (although if I don't make at lest 7 or 8 miles, I feel like a slacker).

You know, I selected the second choice but for some reason, a lot of my "smell the roses" kind of hikes winds up being 20 mile marches. :)

But I'm a very flexible hiker, I'll do the 20 mile winter snowshoes and the 7 mile flat hike to a leanto as well. I don't care as long as I'm out.

Jay