Underhill State Park Off Season Camping?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Greetings, Does anyone out there know if camping is allowed in the Underhill State Park Campground Vermont in the off season? We are looking to hike Mansfield in a few weeks and due to the long ride we were thinking of setting up camp in the campground. I understand there are lean-to sites as well as tent sites. Any info much appreciated....

Regards,
Redwood 100/100

Underhill closed about a week ago, but the Stone Lodge in Stowe opens November 10th. VT state parks don't offer too many year round oppertunities for camping unfortunately but this one's pretty neat. Here's the operating schedule: here

just use the dropdown to find the lodge.

Don't forget to visit the Shed in Stowe and the Alchemist in Waterbury.
mmmmm...beer

Vermont state campgrounds can be used off-season with the permission of the park authorities, which is very easy to obtain. They just want to know whose car will be in the driveway and have a chance to inform you that there is no water, showers or toilets. Check here for a number to call.

You’ll have to carry-in/carry-out from the gate but that’s a still a pretty good deal for a free campsite.

Just keep in mind that the winter trailhead is a bit over a mile from the summer trailhead, so if you're looking to camp right by the trailhead think about bringing your stuff in on a sled (easy xc skiing with a sled if conditions are good, as it is a road in summer). Enjoy.
Weatherman

For some reason I can't find the rates for the State Ski Dorm near Mansfield but I stayed there once - for one person it was actually cheaper than a campsite (as are bunkhouses in Baxter Park ME)

Weatherman, Our plan is to hike into the campsite from the secured gate with our overnight gear and hiking gear for the summit. Is it safe to assume from your response that the secured gate is a mile or so from the tenting/lean-to area?

Thanks,
Redwood

Underhill

The secured gate is only 1/4 mile or less below the park headquarters and leantos. There's a sign at least a mile below that says road closed in winter, etc, just ignore it if the road's driveable. Main problem is if the road is icy, otherwise you should be able to zoom right up to the gate where you'll be a 5 min. walk at most from the leantos. Enjoy, this is a magical place in winter and there's plenty of brook water around. -John

Here is another place in Stowe that is open all winter.
http://www.campvermont.com/html/cgs/north/goldbrook.htm
I believe they have showers and provide firewood
I checked it out once and plan to camp there in the next few weeks.
It not be as remote as going into Underhill but the people are nice and it's relatively inexpensive.
DOGS ARE ALLOWED! :cool: