Unsupported ADK 46 Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 8 Part 3 (Esther)

We know we aren't done and make our way down to the Esther junction. The descent was tough. At the junction we each eat and drink a little. The trail over is probably the best herd path of all the herd path peaks and emotion with soft trail leads to a quick ride. Upon getting there we both go to shake hands but instead have one of those somewhat awkward man hugs. We both then collapse next to the Esther plaque:

P9140202.JPG

I then pulled out the prayer card from Ed's wake. I had carried it with me to each peak since the start just like the thoughts of his words helped carry me at times:
P9140200.JPG

Jan took the card and read it aloud. It was a peaceful time with only some wind in the trees. We knew our journey wasn't over just yet and that a tough descent still await.

Back at the junction we each ate our last GU. It was the last of our food. We had used everything to it's end from the food to our stove fuel and even some baby wipes. It all ended up being the exact amount we needed. All our garbage from the trip along with our toothpaste was the only thing in our bear canisters.

Even with such emotion all the loose rock which cause every foot step to roll took a pounding on us. We had talked of personal things but by the end the trail had again silenced us. We made the last little climb and gave out some yells. The only thing there was my car that I parked over 8 days ago. We take off our packs and have one of the best friend hugs of true joy I've ever had.

I look at my watch and tell Jan it was 7 days 14 hours and 15 minutes since we started back at the Sewards.

We make sure to stretch before getting in the car for a long ride since we know our bodies are beaten and then hop in the car. I put it in reverse and go to back out when Meg, Jans wife, pulls in behind us! Upon getting out we realize Meg will have food too so as we greet I see the pie and pizza boxes in the passenger seat. As they talk I go straight for the food and when I open the pizza box I see it's Buffalo Chicken! Oh my lord, the Blueberry pie and pizza! I think I tell Meg I love her before Jan has a chance.

When we get near done eating Jan says to Meg he thinks he is going to ride back to the house with me. I think me and Meg are both shocked by this and quickly I say that's alright ride with Meg. I don't know women well but I know them enough that I'd have paid for that one! Knowing how close there relationship is and they had been apart for so long the thought meant more than I can say.

It reminded me how when Meg and Ron climbed Big Slide with us Meg said she was so impressed with our speed and Ron commented he was more impressed with the fact we had been alone together for 7 days and didn't want to kill each other. How Jan had thought at the end of day 1 when I was slow that this would never work. Our low moment at the Flowed lands leanto. Then with each passing day we started to rely and take pride and motivation in each other and how it became more of a single way of thinking than separate to the point at the end getting into separate cars felt like leaving a little part of you behind.

I told Jan when we were climbing Marshall how Ed talked about teamwork and that you don't let the other crash and burn. He said, "yeah but what is teamwork really?". I replied at the time that I thought it was more of a philosophy than anything else and that if we both make it through after being a day behind we'd each have a different outlook. Sometimes pats on the back need to come with kicks in the azz and we all need them both from time to time.

Ed was also right about something else. That damn pie which was the first thing I ate really was the best pie I ever tasted. At least since my grandfather's homemade apple.

P9140207.JPG

Last edited:
Got a little choked up reading the last couple of days' entries. Great TR and an incredible accomplishment. Congratulations to you both.

Wonderful writing and photos to portray a wonderful experience. You two make great partners in grime.