Untreated Ethan Pond Water?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intake/Outtake hoses..oh my!!!!

Have a few pondering questions for the filter folks out there.

1. Do any of you ever intermingle the outtake hose with the intake hoses when you repack the filter system back in your pack?

2. What do you do between hikes with the filters, do they ever fully dry or how do you keep them "sanitary"?

3. Are you vigilant about keeping your containers clean via bleach or do you just rinse them out?

4. Do you ever consider hogging a water source that is considered safe while dangleling hoses and filters in while loading up liters of water while another person behind you could just fill their bottles in seconds?????

4. Are the caps washed or just rinsed when you get home???

If you don't answer just about 100% on all these questions it seems futile to filter water in a source that is about 99.99% safe.

Just wondering.

as always,
Vario

1. Do any of you ever intermingle the outtake hose with the intake hoses when you repack the filter system back in your pack?

2. What do you do between hikes with the filters, do they ever fully dry or how do you keep them "sanitary"?

3. Are you vigilant about keeping your containers clean via bleach or do you just rinse them out?

4. Do you ever consider hogging a water source that is considered safe while dangleling hoses and filters in while loading up liters of water while another person behind you could just fill their bottles in seconds?????

If you don't answer just about 100% on all these questions it seems futile to filter water in a source that is about 99.99% safe.

Just wondering.

as always,
Vario

1 No only after they are dried.

2 You have to take them out to dry out completely after a hike, or they mold!

3 Dishwasher with chlorine detergent, but the containers are usually on the "clean" end of the chain.

4 Never had a roadjam at a water source. Not sure if it would happen. Those who filter use pools where the sediment has settled. Those who don't can fill anywhere. Not an accurate sample as I avoid crowds as a rule.

4.2? Again, they get washed, but they are on the "clean' end of the chain.

As always, your choice is your own. I'm, happy with mine.

Never. They're marked.

Clean with a bleach solution, including filter, hoses and housing, and dry.

Containers are washed in the dishwasher after I get home. And as Quietman said.. they're on the clean end.

There are a few sources I've used that were a bit cramped but I've never had anyone behind me waiting. If they were I'd certainly let them through. I'm not in a big hurry.

Caps to water containers? Washed with the bottles...

I'm curious why the one would be so against filtering water and seem to be chastizing those who do. If you choose not to that's your business but if others choose to isn't it there business? I made a reference to someone who chose not to filter on my first post in this thread but, if you'll notice, I stated why they made that choice and noted that I doubted there was an issue with the water they were drinking.

No judgements. Just observations and information from which to make decisions. This will hopefully not cause alarm by any poster.

I'm curious why the one would be so against filtering water and seem to be chastizing those who do. If you choose not to that's your business but if others choose to isn't it there business? ...

Me too. I can see taking a position that water filtration/treatment is unnecessary, but I certainly can't understand chastising or being otherwise critical of those who choose to err on the side of caution by filtering or treating the water they consume.

The issue of "carriers" who acquire (and thus also certainly shed) Giardia cysts and other cooties, yet remain asymptomatic leads me to a thought I've expressed before in these discussions. That is, if filtration can help one avoid acquiring the bugs, then it also will help curtail the spread of them. To me, that invokes the conservation ethic (or Leave No Trace ethic), and makes a good argument in favor of treating or filtering one's water.

G.

Over the top

I'm curious why the one would be so against filtering water and seem to be chastizing those who do.

No where in my posts did I ever chastize anyone for using a filter. If you want to use one that's fine. Helps USA economy, buy filter units, have them shipped to your house or the store where you buy them. No problem here. This seems to be a culture that inisists on filtering water but will stop at a restaurant and buy a pizza from some guy who takes money and handles food with washing in between. I will never understand American culture.

My concern was and is for the *original* poster who was concerned enough to ask this group of people and was *worried* about potential illness from drinking 6L of water. My intent was to be real about the probability of illness which is very low.

My questions regarding use of filter and actions of filter users was in reference to what I typically see in the backcountry. Filter gets used then all stuff, intake, outake etc gets thrown back in a little stuff sack.

as always,
Vario

If you are a day hiker and going home to comfy of his/her own toilet seat it’s probably not much of an issue. Drink your own urine or squeeze water out of moose dung, that'll work.

If however, you plan on spending a few hard earned vacation days out in the wilderness, you may want to consider taking additional precautions regarding your health.

This seems to be a culture that inisists on filtering water but will stop at a restaurant and buy a pizza from some guy who takes money and handles food with washing in between. I will never understand American culture.

If I buy a contaminated pizza and I get sick, I can go to the hospital if necessary. If I'm in the backcountry and I get sick, I could be in serious trouble or exceptionally miserable. I won't be able to run to the store to buy some Pedialyte, or Immodium, or medicated wipes for the ensuing hemorrhoid flare-up (ok, maybe that's Too Much Info).

It's risk management. I understand that it is highly unlikely that I will get sick from drinking unfiltered water. However, my filter is lightweight and it takes only a few minutes to filter my water. For me, there is no significant drawback to filtering my water. If I get the squirts or start vomiting, and I'm in the middle of nowhere, that would just suck, and could be dangerous.

If you choose not to filter your water, that's your choice, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There is very little chance you'll get sick, and you've saved some weight by not carrying a filter.

The issue of "carriers" who acquire (and thus also certainly shed) Giardia cysts and other cooties, yet remain asymptomatic leads me to a thought I've expressed before in these discussions. That is, if filtration can help one avoid acquiring the bugs, then it also will help curtail the spread of them. To me, that invokes the conservation ethic (or Leave No Trace ethic), and makes a good argument in favor of treating or filtering one's water.
One of the most important methods of protecting oneself and others from carriers is washing your hands after visiting the woods/head and before preparing or eating food. This is true for both the backcountry and the frontcountry.

FWIW, I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with my TP when hiking.

Doug

If I buy a contaminated pizza and I get sick, I can go to the hospital if necessary. If I'm in the backcountry and I get sick, I could be in serious trouble or exceptionally miserable. I won't be able to run to the store to buy some Pedialyte, or Immodium, or medicated wipes for the ensuing hemorrhoid flare-up (ok, maybe that's Too Much Info).
There is also the scenario where one is exposed to contaminated food/drink in the front country and then experiences symptoms after going into the backcountry. The symptoms can appear several hours to a week after exposure.

Doug

The discussion here has focused exclusively on filtering to treat water. Don't forget that one can also use chemical, UV, or heat treatment.

Each has its own pros and cons, which have been discussed to death in previous threads.

Doug

Thought I'd post an update to my initial posting. It has been three weeks and I have suffered no ill effect from drinking untreated water at Ethan Pond. I will certianly test my filter pre and post trip from now on.

Thanks for all those who responded to my initial posting, and those who provided kind words. Thanks!