Urban blizzard hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Although this is my first winter hiking season ever, and it's been a mild one, I've been out there in a wide range of conditions. Looking out the window this morning did deter me from driving somewhere but did not deter me from walking somewhere. I decided to suit up and go for a walk to Quincy Center (that's Massachusetts just so ya know :p ).

And so, I bid my roommates adieu, walked down the driveway, and hit the sidewalks of Quincy with only a bottle of water and a camera. I decided to leave the ice axe and bivy gear at home :cool: .

Pushing through the freshly fallen, fluffy snow along the roadside helped get me energized and it felt good to be outside. It wasn't too cold today, and the wind was gusty but not all that bad. Not many folks were adventurous enough to take to the streets in this hyped-up weather. I got a fair share of confused looks from people thinking I was a weirdo for being decked out in balaclava, wool hat, goggles, windproof outer gear, heavy gloves, insulated boots and snowshoes. I took one look at their jeans, sneakers, baseball caps and cotton sweatshirts and decided they were the weirdos. Everyone had a beet red face. I was actually quite comfortable :). Most of the people outside looked pretty pissed off to be out there. I smiled and waved and went on my way.

I walked from W. Squantum St. all the way down Hancock until I was practically through Quincy Center (2.5 miles?). Finally I found a roast beef place that was open so I stopped there for lunch. After ordering I noticed I could see my breath in there. Odd, it didn't feel cold. The place was open for business but they had no heat. I was toasty warm from all the walking that I didn't even notice!

The walk back home with a belly full of warm sandwich was nice. The snowfall had died down a little so the visibility was a little better. The city center is very pretty and there was much that I noticed today that I'd never bothered to see before. I snapped a ton of pictures and walked back at a leisurely pace. I was surprised to see that almost all of my footprints were totally obliterated by the new snowfall and drifts. It was as if I had never been there. I kept checking the street signs to make sure I was taking the same route!

I was able to get some exercise, experience the "blizzard," and test out my new Kamik -40 degree boots. They're warm but not broken in and so I have some nice blisters now :( .

Funny how the weather that always used to keep me holed up inside the house now draws me outside. The snow is still coming down and the wind is blowing like crazy. I hope school is closed tomorrow so I can break out some trails in the Blue Hills!! :D :D

Go enjoy your neighborhood in the driving snow if you can, I highly recommend it :) Oh, and here are my photos from the hike.

Nice! Just watch out for traffic; a sliding car is not a good thing to see coming at you.

Did you actually wear the snowshoes? This powder is so light and fluffy I can't imagine getting any floatation on it. Then again, you do weigh a bit less than I. :)

I enjoyed your pictures of my old hometown. Much nicer when it's snow covered and quiet, it's it? I remember x-country skiing Hancock St. about 13 years ago!

Nice way to gear test, too!

MichaelJ said:
Nice! Just watch out for traffic; a sliding car is not a good thing to see coming at you.
Even worse when you don't see it. :eek:

MichaelJ said:
...Then again, you do weigh a bit less than I. :)
I'll leave that one alone Michael. :p :D :D

Jess,
Glad you were able to get out in the snow today. We're still waiting for the storm to arrive up here. It's not looking good. Most of us may be hiking snowshoeless again in the Whites this next weekend. :(

Nice you got out! I opted to play guitar and watch the Olympics all day. Boston looks cool, I've got to get down there sometime to check it out. It has such a neat history and I've only driven through there. :eek:

Nice TR, Jessbee. I did a couple short urban snowshoe hikes today myself, thinking of taking a longer one down by the East River this evening. NYC has had over a foot of snow so far and it's interesting what a blanket of the white stuff can do for the urban atmosphere. I like how it slows things down...... :)

Went out hiking this morning in about 15-20 inches in Long Island...put the plastic "bear claw" shoes on my 9yo daughter and we walked to her friends house while it was still a blizzard, I hooked a sled up to her and she sherpa'd it up and down the snow plow drifts...she had a blast, I think I walked for about 2-3 miles around town then had to work to get my cars free and snowblowed many houses..took a few pictures, oh yea i took my friends dog for a good 45-60 min walk...

Hey Dave, did you ever think you would drive home from the mountains and THEN run into the BLIZZARD? Great to see ya and glad you got home safely.
-Tony

Tony, as I was driving back with Freddy, I kept thinking about where the snow was starting. I got nervous when the precip was around the bear mtn toolbooth on the thruway, then more precip around Tappan zee bridge, but really nothing until Queens, I just kept hoping the reports were right and it was going to hit in a few hours, glad i made it home....did tell freddy that i was bringing a sleeping bag in the car for an emergency...i just might leave it in the car for the rest of the winter.....how much snow did you get in jersey where you are?

About 15 inches in eastern Morris County, however it was very windy last night though it was more of a steady wind and not gusty so we had snow drifts easily in the 20+ range.

I remember being in Syracuse in '96 I think in March when we had that huge blizzard and the snowpiles were a good few feet taller than me.

Jay

funkyfreddy said:
NYC has had over a foot of snow so far and it's interesting what a blanket of the white stuff can do for the urban atmosphere. I like how it slows things down...... :)

Here's what I got on front page of my newspaper this morning...

Skiing on Times Square

Now I have all the reasons I need to move down to NYC.

MichaelJ said:
Did you actually wear the snowshoes? This powder is so light and fluffy I can't imagine getting any floatation on it. Then again, you do weigh a bit less than I. :)

I went out in the blizzard in the back-woods behind my house and my snowshoes were pretty useless. Nice to get out and experience the weather without driving in it though.