Usable Moonlight?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to hiking & snowshoeing locally here in SE Mass; also an avid sea-kayaker. I've wondered for some time when do you have good usable moonlight, near full moon. What I'm getting in simple terms is to figure 3hrs past moonrise.

I like www.saltwatertides.com for their moonrise & set, along with moonlight % - we'll have about 90% on Sunday, for example to a height of 99% Tuesday night.

From my estimation the moon should have sufficient height for a good snowshoeing from 6pm on Sunday night

Thanks -

of course.....it depends

My absolute favorite thing to do is the winter hike with a great big bright moon. The lack of canopy in the forest (except evergreen forests of course) allows the white snow to become luminesent. I always say in my goofy cornball way "its bright enuff to read a newspaper". Don't know why...but, say it ever time.

Sorry for the rant...... How much of the moons light you benefit from will depend primarily on time, topo and direction. 3 hours from moonrise would be perfect on say a trail on the eastward lee of a high ridge, but not on the western side until a few hours later.

Hiking some of the beautiful trails down in your neck of the woods would be less restrictive as the topolines are pretty far apart.

Welcome to VFTT, its a nice place with very smart wonderful people. (present poster excluded :p )

Don't forget to factor in cloud cover

Equally as important as the phase of the moon is the cloud cover. A 90% moon with a thick cloud cover won't provide nearly as much light. Broken clouds though shouldn't reduce the overall luminesence too much though.

I too, think winter is the ideal season to take advantage of the full or near full moon conditions for a hike.

I don't like the full moon and fresh snow. It is too bright, and too much contrast. I think the contrast is the real killer. Everything is just black and white. It has a debalancing effect on me, unless I am on a nice wide easy trail. I'd rather be out in a less than full moon, or older snow.