Used Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While eBay is decidedly hit or miss, I have bought, and been happy with, ...
== Limmer boots (a most pleasant suprise there!)
== a Dana pack
== an REI tent
== a Marmot bag
== a Guild jumbo guitar, and
== several pair of Doc Martens for my shitty feet,
== among lots of other stuff.

Perhaps the flip side to my ASTOUNDING deals is that the sellers did not get top dollar. Nonetheless, I'm a booster. Maybe selling is for you.

I've been pretty happy with Ebay. Considering how skeptical I was of it originally, I have since sold over 60 backpacking, skiing, biking & kayaking items since 2002 and have found it is pretty easy - You can also really increase the sales price on your item with a good description and plenty of pictures. :)

selling used gear

(if this posts twice -- sorry - computer glitch! :eek: )

ditto to ebay. the adk used to require that you had entered x amt of posts before allowing you to post stuff for sale. that was last yr not sure it that's the same. you can also post stuff on the backpacker site.
i've tried selling on ebay w/o much luck altho i sure buy enough crap from them! i love the deals. but it just depends - it's worth the try at least once. they have changed their fees this yr but you used to be able to do 1 post for free but if it didn't sell then you had to pay. that may have changed.
if you find other places let me know i have some like-new garmont pinnacles and a backpack (used once) i really should get rid of as they just are not being used.

Just be careful with buying technical clothing on Ebay.

For instance I purchased a set of TNF Summit Series Goretex XCR pants size L. As the seller indicated, they were tagged as such. But the style of the pants (fabric texture, and other details such as the water proof zipper and the built-in gaitors differed significantly from what TNF was selling.)

There was an abundance of Chinese on the labels, and there was no way it was size L even tho it was marked as such.

Knockoff? I dunno. Genuine TNF product for the Asian Market? I dunno. Real Goretex? I dunno. But the item was
as described with the tags and labels, so I never followed up.

knockoffs

Remix, I deal on E-bay quite often both selling and buying. The TNF you bought was most definantly a knockoff. If you look on E-bays site they have a HUGE amount of TNF summit series clothing and after doing some research I have found out that the asian market is knocking off technical clothing like crazy now. I would only buy these type of items from someone with technical knowledge of the item. Asking the right questions of the seller will find this out. I personally will not buy clothing from E-bay for this reason. But it is an excellent place to sell your unwanted stuff, Mike D.

The adkforum for gear swap/selling hasnt had a post in it for over a year. So you can cross that off your list.

tycho_32 said:
The adkforum for gear swap/selling hasnt had a post in it for over a year. So you can cross that off your list.

Incorrect! Sold items are moved to the "sold" area.

I just sold my Garcia Bear Canister on there about 3 weeks ago.

Adkforum is a good place to sell/buy stuff, and sometimes you can even save some shipping. At least you can be assured that you won't get ripped off, as the people on that board are top-notch.

-percious

Montana said:
Any suggestions on where to sell used backpacking gear on the web?
Thanks. :)

If you happen to go up North often bring it to one of the consignment shops. IME has a really nice one. You can bring your stuff there to sell it. They'll call you when it's sold and you will have money toward more new or used gear.