Valley Way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
Can someone tell me where the parking area is for the Valley Way trailhead? I will be coming over from the west on Route 2. I am hoping to get in a hike this weekend up there.

Also, if anyone has been up Madison, Adams, Jefferson recently, can you provide some info on the trail, I didn't see any posts under trips or trail conditions; ie stream crossings, snow pack.

Thanks.

Appalachia. You'll see it on your left after you come westbound down Gorham hill on Rt. 2 or on your right after Lowe's Store if your're eastbound. Just look for the broken glass....no, I'm sure they'll be patrolling this weekend a reminder nevertheless to leave the beemer home and bring the old beater this weekend and empty it out.

If you're coming from the west, it's appoximately 1 mile past Lowe's Store, on the right. Look for the trailhead parking sign, it's pretty obvious. You don't need a WMNF parking sticker for Appalachia.

-dave-

If your hiking Monday.. we'll hopefully see you with good weather on the summit of Adams.

We haven;t decided if we're taking Valley way or Lowes.

Latest reports I have heard have SOME patches of snow in the srub with abve tree line being mostly bare. HOWEVER, over 8" of snow had fallen on Washington up to Tuesday night with lots of Icing since. Temps as of this morning had the summits in the 40's as the winds have finally shifted.

I say conditions should remain, patches of snow and ice in the srub with Bare summits above treeline by Monday :D

David Metsky said:
If you're coming from the west, it's appoximately 1 mile past Lowe's Store, on the right. Look for the trailhead parking sign, it's pretty obvious. You don't need a WMNF parking sticker for Appalachia.

-dave-
More like 2 miles, methinks
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.3569&lon=-71.3029&datum=nad83

And the sign does say something like "Trailhead Parking", not "Appalachia" (name of the former RR stop) or the trail names

Regarding the prior comment about broken glass and break ins. There havent been any recent major break ins reported in the area lately. Appalachia has a lot of people keeping an eye on it and it is open to the road, so it doesnt usually get the problems that 19 mile brook and great gulf parking get. If in doubt park at Lowe's garage down the road, Alan Lowe is the constable for Randolph.

BTW - You do not need a parking sticker for Appalachia as it is on state property.

Hey Peakbagger... thanks for the info about the parking sticker. I never knew that. Pretty cool

Last edited:
Found this in Trail Conditions

Trail: Valley Way trail to Madison Hut
Date Hiked: 5/22/05

Conditions: Wet and muddy for the first half of the hike, changing over to 6-12 inches of new snow. One large downed tree was easy to get around. Water crossings were not too difficult.

Special Required Equipment: Gortex essential, poles useful, sense of humor helpful.

Comments: Most of us barebooted the trail. The weather was lousy, the trail was slippery, but the company was good.

Thanks everyone, now that I know where I am going I just need a break in the weather. Saturday seems to be the lowest percentage of rain as of now so I think I will tenatively plan for that day and depending on conditions head up Valley Way to Madison and over to Adams.

From there it will all depend on the weather :)

For those of you planning on Monday I hope the weather breaks!