Vandalism at 19 Mile Brook trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy

Reaction score
I've heard about the vandalism at this trailhead and unfortunately saw it first hand yesterday. There was a car with the driver's window smashed, as well as glass on the ground in another part of the lot. Just a reminder to not leave anything of value in the car at any trailhead.

Sure am wishing for a thread talking about these sicko's being caught for once. Are there any stories of trail head bandits being nabbed? Where are the cops? Where are the Rangers? This has not yet happened to me but I am nervous every time I get back to the lot to see my car. I don't freak thinking about it while hiking but always think of it as I enter the parking lot at the end of the hike. Why the windshield? These people are complete scums!

It's a big forest with lots of trailheads. Some of the thieves have been caught, more come to take their place. No matter where you park it's possible but not likely.

Sure am wishing for a thread talking about these sicko's being caught for once. Are there any stories of trail head bandits being nabbed?

They caught some folks last fall in the Pinkham area if I recall...there's a thread here somewhere about it, with some firsthand information from some Views members.

Unfortunately it seems like there's fairly fresh broken glass just about every time I hike out of 19MB.

No trailhead is immune, as a search of the forums here will reveal. New generations of vandals and thieves are being bred annually. Nothing will stop it until 24/7 watches are posted at each trailhead. And that's not going to happen.

Wherever you park, you should be prepared for the possibility when you return from your hike. A sheet of plastic and some duct tape in your trunk would be useful.

They caught some folks last fall in the Pinkham area if I recall...there's a thread here somewhere about it, with some firsthand information from some Views members.

Yes, that was the day I hiked to Isolation with an AMC group, and the trip leader's car was vandalized, but the guy was caught:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26387

One piece of info I should have put in my original post but didn't: a passenger in the car that was broken into had left her pocketbook in plain sight on the front seat. I'm pretty sure that's why that particular car was chosen, although maybe other cars in the lot (including mine) would have been next, had it not been for the rangers' good work.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this "vandalism" tend to occur a bit more frequently this time of the year as the local high school kids are out and active, it usually peaks around graduation. The actual car break in season usually starts after Memorial day and runs all summer when the opportunities are better due to the volume of cars at trailheads.

Last year it was pretty well established that the one individual caught at Rocky Branch had been responisible for a large majority of the break ins in a wide area (from Ferncroft up to Appalachia and west to Crawfords). Most years it usually ties back to one person or a small group working together and usually takes most of the season for them to get caught.