VFTT dog hike in November - Greylock ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a nice hike today with Dugan, Rocksnrolls, and Kaboodle, Rolles and Baxter, and I met at the end of Gould Rd with a little confusion with the trailhead with the YMCA folks, who parked on West Mtn Road. We simply met them on the trail and hiked up the Gould trail. A short detour to the Pecks Brook cascade and a very pretty location for a shelter, we had a cool hike up to the summit where Bascom and the tower seem to be closed for the year, we took shelter from the gusty winds at the t-bolt shelter and had a lunch break. After lunch, our small bunch split with Peakbagr's YMCA group and hiked down the thunderbolt ski trail to the Bellow's Pipe ext back to Gould road, down the Needle's Eye, the Big Schuss, the Steps, and just before the Dumps... Pass the old ski towers and back to the road. the return trip was certainly faster than than the climb up! But fun all around and out of the wind.

A new approach to greylock for me and it was great to meet new friends and see some old ones on a windy day...

Jay

It was a beautiful day to be out (aren't they all?). Boo is curled beside me on the couch, snoozily oblivious to having burrs picked out of his hair. It was good to meet some people that I've known only from the forums for years - especially Bookah! I learned today that I've been pronouncing her name wrong in my head all these years.

I enjoyed chatting with a number of VFTTers I hadn't met before and hiking with canine companions Caboodle and Baxter. Those blustery winds at the top reminded me that winter isn't too far away. Here are a few photos I managed during the day.

Last edited:
It was a beautiful day to be out (aren't they all?).

Indeed it was! The weather, though a tad breezy, was really quite nice, and the Gould trail was quite pleasant and well maintained. Nice conversations with all. Thanks to Alan for leading another great Y hike.

Nice pictures Edelweiss! There is a great view of the old slides on the east face of Greylock just on Fred Mason road before you get to Gould Road. I stopped for a short bit in the morning on my way to check out the slides. I know some folks have skied the slides on Greylock too..

I have a couple of shots of the Pecks Brook shelter and cascades over there that I shall post soon...

Jay