Views from Wherever - What are your favorite viewpoints for various summits?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting on West Bond under a full moon, you have to do it.

Two and a half hours totally alone on the summit of West Bond one evening in the middle of July.
At one point, I spent about 15 minutes just listening. Not moving, not nothing, just listening.
It's an odd sensation, but it seemed that my hearing became more acute as the 15 minutes
progressed, perhaps similar to the night vision thing. It seemed that I could actually focus my
hearing in certain directions and hear the brooks and falls way down in the valley. It was very
cool, and freakishly beautiful. Or maybe I was just stoned.
Anyway, forget what I said.......West Bond actually sucks at night.......Zealand summit is much better.......go there.

West%20Bond%20sunset-2-M.jpg

West%20Bond%20moonrise-2-M.jpg

Two and a half hours totally alone on the summit of West Bond one evening in the middle of July.
At one point, I spent about 15 minutes just listening. Not moving, not nothing, just listening.
It's an odd sensation, but it seemed that my hearing became more acute as the 15 minutes
progressed, perhaps similar to the night vision thing. It seemed that I could actually focus my
hearing in certain directions and hear the brooks and falls way down in the valley. It was very
Anyway, forget what I said.......West Bond actually sucks at night.......Zealand summit is much better.......go there.

West%20Bond%20sunset-2-M.jpg

West%20Bond%20moonrise-2-M.jpg

Zealand better then West Bond, pleassssssssssssssse, you where stoned for sure. Zealand needs a sign or you wouldnt know you where there, lol.

Bonds, Guyot, South Twin, anywhere in the northern Presis, any place that overlooks the Pemi. The list really does go on and on. Last spring I took in a sunrise from Bondcliff. That was sort of okay. ;)

Anyway, forget what I said.......West Bond actually sucks at night.......Zealand summit is much better.......go there.QUOTE]

So as Sarcasm has entered into it...

All those ADK views jrbren mentioned are awful, the view from Esther is much better, everyone should go there. I agree, Zealand is the best peak in NH for views, followed by Waumbek & South Carter. (one year there was several feet of snow on South Carter which did offer an even better view)

Yes, there are some very good views of CH from Route 89. (No need to leave the highway)

And as far as BSP goes, move along, nothing to see there, (stay at Kittery).

:eek::D

Last edited:
So I'm not the only one that was pleasantly suprised by this view! Good to know...the first time I saw this I couldn't believe how massive Passaconaway seemed from there.

Don't quite know why, but Passaconaway has always been one of my favorites in NH. There's just something about that mountain that draws me to it.

Don't quite know why, but Passaconaway has always been one of my favorites in NH. There's just something about that mountain that draws me to it.

I know what draws me to it - Blueberries.
I think I lost an hour last year just sitting on the trail eating blueberries.

Or maybe it was Whiteface - same difference.

one of the most impressive white mountains views i have experienced is from the open sub alpine area on mt. lowell. takes a bushwack to get there, but well worth it. nearby mt. anderson isn't too shabby either. i'm always most impressed when i get a great view where i'm not really expecting it. two places that come to mind from the recent past are the summit of howe peak (east of the shelburne trail in the whites and requiring a bushwack) and from the blowdown area near the summit of allen mountain in the adirondacks. with the right conditions (deep snow and heavy drifting) the view to franconia ridge from a point a bit north of the "new summit" on owls head can be quite impressive as well.

bryan

Oh wait, I get it, you where kidding! Look, Im not that quick, my Mom always said, it wasnt important to be the smartest one in the group ( jee thanks Mom) but she did say I was cute as a button, ( now that I think about that , how is a button cute?) Dang it, foiled again.:D

I completely agree. That mountain has a certain "energy." When I was there Wednesday, it was good. Adams has that too IMO.

Passaconaway: "Child of the Bear"

There's some interesting/chilling history to the area as well. I believe I saw it referenced in 4,000 Footers of the White Mountains, but I recall a good ghost story about a woman searching the slopes on the mountains nightly for her adultrous husband, carrying her lantern. It may not all be good energy. :eek:

Great mountain though. And somehwat on topic, I like its fairly recognizable summit from most directions.

Last edited:
From below the cliffs on Whitewall Mt. looking up towards Zeacliff and back at Whitewall from the hut. I guess there isn't anywhere in Zealand Notch you can't get a great view. The view from Pierce towards Washington. From Willeys Slide looking through Crawford Notch towards Willard.

Energy

I completely agree. That mountain has a certain "energy." When I was there Wednesday, it was good. Adams has that too IMO.

Passaconaway: "Child of the Bear"

There's some interesting/chilling history to the area as well. I believe I saw it referenced in 4,000 Footers of the White Mountains, but I recall a good ghost story about a woman searching the slopes on the mountains nightly for her adultrous husband, carrying her lantern. It may not all be good energy. :eek:

Great mountain though. And somehwat on topic, I like its fairly recognizable summit from most directions.

Some people think certain mountain's have more energy then other's. Adam's is top's on the list according to such people, there is a group that meets on Adams to celebrate this. I cant remember thier name its been discussed on this forum in the past. As far as Passaconaway, in my early years ( early 80's) I got lost near the summit busting a trail in 4 ft of powder through the heavy spruce. I eventually made the summit, the hike took all day and I remember sitting in my truck after, so tired I couldnt move, thinking that is one tough hill. To this day, I think of that day when I see the mountain.

Some people think certain mountain's have more energy then other's. Adam's is top's on the list according to such people, there is a group that meets on Adams to celebrate this. I cant remember thier name its been discussed on this forum in the past. As far as Passaconaway, in my early years ( early 80's) I got lost near the summit busting a trail in 4 ft of powder through the heavy spruce. I eventually made the summit, the hike took all day and I remember sitting in my truck after, so tired I couldnt move, thinking that is one tough hill. To this day, I think of that day when I see the mountain.

I'm one of those people that thinks certain mountains have more energy than others.

The group is the Aetherius Society I believe; Adams is one of 19 of their "Holy Mountains" in the world. Its an interesting list. I've seen one of their symbols painted on some rock on Adams near the summit. That was over 10 years ago though, so probably long gone. I've never been able to find it again.

Passaconaway is no slouch definitely.

Last edited: