Visiting ponds with an inflatable dinghy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markk

Reaction score
(This is a somewhat unusual trip report as the trip spanned many weekends and isn't over yet.)

Years ago, looking down on Bear (Redrock) Pond in the Pemigewasset, I had the urge to be floating in a boat on the pond. Another time, when hiking at the edges of Nancy and Norcross ponds, I wished I could paddle out onto the ponds to explore the parts not adjacent to the trail. This summer, while looking down at Davis Pond and Lake Cowles from beyond the North Peaks Trail in Baxter, I wanted to be down there looking up. Since then, many of my weekends have been spent hiking and exploring ponds with an inflatable dinghy.

Some pictures are at:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561455901sBLmJC?vhost=good-times

One of my first trips with a dinghy was to Lake Cowles, a large pond tucked up against the wall of the Northwest Basin of Katahdin. The Northwest Basin Trail crosses the outlet stream, but it is difficult to see much of the lake from the trail and bushwhacking along the shore would be slow and high-impact. After inflating the dinghy (details below) I rowed around the perimeter and just floated out in the middle. The sounds were water cascading down the headwall and birds in the bushes and trees along the shore. The views were mostly across the basin to the cliffs, but having the open water arround me had an impact on how I experienced the views. Solitude seems more palpable when there is enough open space around me for me to know I am alone.

I spent so long entranced by Lake Cowles that I only had time for a brief stop at Davis Pond on the hike back out. This jewel of a pond differs in many ways from Lake Cowles. Most of the pond is visible from the shore near the lean-to. The water is shallow (approx 6 ft) and extremely clear, allowing one to see the entire bottom of the pond. The views from here were closer in than the views from Lake Cowles. The waterfall running down the head of the basin looked like it would be a fun ice climb in winter.

Another visit was to "Blueberry Knoll Pond", a small, hourglass-shaped pond in the North Basin on Katahdin. This tiny, seasonal pond is reached by a herd-path/abandoned trail and offered, by far, the most dramatic scenery of any pond I've been to. Sitting in the dinghy, I watched a hiker ascending Hamlin Ridge until a slight puff of wind turned the boat around and I was looking at the North Basin headwall. Wow! The experience was strangely like watching an Imax film as I drifted and the scenery changed. The buoyancy and passive movement contrasted with rockhopping and bushwhacking, enriching the whole experience of being outdoors in such a wonderful place. Leaning back in the boat I wasn't as conscious of my body as when sitting on a rock or standing. The serenity from this visit lasted for most of the next week.

Finally in late October I fulfilled that initial wish to paddle a boat on Bear (Redrock) Pond. The pond was flooded the day I visited and the grassy area that usually exists on the south side was completely submerged. The water was tea brown. Floating above the shrubs and grasses was like what I imagine being on a magic carpet would be like. There were nice views up the old slide on the north side and of waterfalls on one of the newer slides. I could see hikers summitting a rime-encrusted West Bond. The views, however, weren't nearly as stunning as the views from some of the ponds in Baxter. Oh well, maybe I'll visit again in the spring when the leaves are just opening. And even if this pond didn't end up on my list of favorites, for me it helped to get this whole trip started and the trip has been great so far.

john

Supplementary Information
Boat(s)
I use a "Micro Dinghy" from West Marine for most hikes. It is just over 6 feet long, came with two 3-section oars and a foot pump for under $70 and weighs around 11 pounds (includes oars and pump.) It is made by Sevylor. The plastic is quite thick. I have run aground on many rocks and branches and even portaged through brush without a puncture.
I have also used a Caravelle K55 (also by Sevylor) from Campmor. Boat alone cost $20. Plastic is thinner. Size similar to Micro Dinghy.
The "Trail Boat" from Campmor is much too small for me.

Contamination issues
Between trips I hose off the boat and allow it to dry, then put it in a plastic bag and freeze in my freezer for a day or two. The boat takes up most of my freezer, but I've heard that there is an invasive pest (alga) that is destroyed by freezing. For a trip to an especially pristine, remote pond I bought a virgin boat.

Resources
Steven Smith's "Ponds & Lakes of the White Mountains" is a great source for information. Stop by The Mountain Wanderer and ask Steve if you want even more information than is in the book. I haven't yet found an equivalent work for the ponds of Maine.

This past summer I lugged my canoe 2 miles to Cherry Lake and got to paddle the far side of the lake that I previously had been only able to peer at thru binoculars. Stuff like that is great fun!

bob

Very nice!
Great way to get to a place and earn a view few others have experienced.
Your safeguards to prevent contamination are commendable.
Just curious, are you combining these trips with backpacking? How do you manage to carry your boat and your gear with one pack?

Congrats on getting to Redrock and Carrigain, Carrigain to me is one of the hardest ponds to get to. So do you just paddle around or do you fish? Some of the ponds have excellent trout fishing. There are no fish in Redrock or Carrigain, but many White Mountain ponds do. Try, Flat Mountain, Ethan, Shoal, Sawyer, Guinea, Greeley, and Black. Carrigain pond has had many attempts to set up a brook trout population but it seems many factors are limiting them there, one being amounts of aluminum in the water from the geology in the area and the other is high pH since it is so high in elevation. It is possible some trout could exhist after all the stocking of fingerlings, but no one has ever caught one that reported it or has the Fish and Game surveys of the pond turned anything up. Beautiful ponds. -Mattl

Excellent! I've thought a lot about doing just what you've done, but it never got beyond the thought stage.
But the descriptive accounts of your dinghy trips and information about your craft might finally prompt me into action.
And we could have a sub-set here on Views:
VIEWS FROM THE TARN

I have run into folks in the past using a fishing rig that fits over an inner tube out on the ponds off of tripoli road. They even had little flippers that mount on the back of their shoes to navigate around.

Of course a classic are the two U Maine students who carried a canoe to the top of Mt Katahdin in the eighties. I dont know if there ever did launch ;)

If you are interested in fishing remote ponds you need to purchase a float tube, waiders, and flippers. The float tube can get tied to a backpack so you can hike in. Thats what I use and it really is the only way.These ponds recieve very little pressure and can have some wonderful fishing. -Mattl

"Just curious, are you combining these trips with backpacking? How do you manage to carry your boat and your gear with one pack?"

So far, they were all day hikes. The boat fits with oars, pump, change of clothes and usual stuff in a 3200 cu. in. pack with room to spare. However, when cold (as in the last picture) the plastic gets stiff and getting the boat back in the opening at the top of the pack was more difficult.

I carry my backpack and float tube bungied on top of it. I end up carrying about 60-65 pounds. Its worth it when you camp and fish, its wonderful! -Mattl

Pack Rafts

Check out...

http://www.alpackaraft.com/links/index.cfm?fa=overview-subcats&cid=180

Packrafting is a niche sport in Alaska and really opens up backcountry travel there. These weigh under 5# and pack up smaller than a summer sleeping bag. It is standard equipment for the Ak Mountain Wilderness Classic where we raced across mountain ranges of approx 150 miles in 3-6 days. These traverses been done with packs as light as 15# which includes the raft and paddles.

Packrafting doesn't make as much sense around here where there is easy access and crossing of rivers and nothing ever very remote. But, it is so much fun to cut big rapids in that silly little craft.

Here is a video from friends of mine who recently ran a Class IV rapid near Anchorage....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwVyK4Zz-s

Jeff

Markk said:
Contamination issues
Between trips I hose off the boat and allow it to dry, then put it in a plastic bag and freeze in my freezer for a day or two. The boat takes up most of my freezer, but I've heard that there is an invasive pest (alga) that is destroyed by freezing. For a trip to an especially pristine, remote pond I bought a virgin boat.
I believe the invasive algae that you are concerned about is Didymosphenia geminata. Commonly known as didymo or "rock snot".

To prevent contamination, it is recommended that you soak and scrub all items for at least one minute in either hot (60°C) water, a 2% solution of household bleach or a 5% solution of salt, antiseptic hand cleaner or dishwashing detergent.
Then all items should be dried thoroughly.

Didymo is fairly new in the northeast. As of August it's been reported in the White, Battenkill, and Connecticut Rivers locally, as well as the Matapedia River in Quebec

bigmoose said:
Excellent! I've thought a lot about doing just what you've done, but it never got beyond the thought stage.

I'm sure many of us (myself included) have daydreamed about our adventures from a different point of view. Nice to see some of us are doing something about it.

Wonderful report.