Vitamins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenderfoot

Reaction score
Flu season has me more concerned that I'm not being proactive enough with vitamins, so I've started taking a multivitamin and some supplements. Which got me thinking...

Are there specific vitamins and supplements that are generally accepted as being helpful to hikers? Something that will boost energy, aid in recovery after a long strenuous hike, or keep my nose warm at night in a tent? OK, I'm not serious about warm noses -- but do other hikers use vitamins or supplements that help with this type of activity?

Tenderfoot said:
...Are there specific vitamins and supplements that are generally accepted as being helpful to hikers? Something that will boost energy, aid in recovery after a long strenuous hike, or keep my nose warm at night in a tent?...
No.
Of course the key phrase in your question is "generally accepted". I'm sure that you'll get a gazillion opinions, testimonials, etc. Studies on the use of vitamin supplements continue to produce conflicting and inconclusive results. Probably the best that can be said is that if you feel that vitamins are having the benefits you're looking for, then by all means take them. The caveat is that certain vitamins can be toxic at high dosage, so don't overdo!

Oldsmores said:
No.
Of course the key phrase in your question is "generally accepted". I'm sure that you'll get a gazillion opinions, testimonials, etc. Studies on the use of vitamin supplements continue to produce conflicting and inconclusive results. Probably the best that can be said is that if you feel that vitamins are having the benefits you're looking for, then by all means take them. The caveat is that certain vitamins can be toxic at high dosage, so don't overdo!

I agree with Oldsmores. However, in bug season, I have heard that some people will load up on vitamin B (I'm not sure if it's a particular Vitamin B or all of them), which is supposed to help keep some bugs at bay. I am not specifically recommending this, and I have no idea about the science, if any, behind it, or what the dosage might be. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

As far as vitamins go I just use a daily multi-vitamin. Probably the best way to avoid the flu is to get a flu shot (if you can find one), avoid exposure to people w/the flu, and wash, wash, wash your hands.

For a pretty good recovery supplement I like 'Endurox R4'. Its a sports recovery drink with a 4-1 ratio of carb to protein that is supposed to speed muscle recovery and glycogen replacement. I'm not sure about scientific studies behind the product but for anecdotal evidence I can say that it works for me. :)

Probably the best way to avoid the flu is to get a flu shot (if you can find one)

Actually, the shot only lessens the severity of when you get the flu, and cannot make you immune or impervious to the flu. It just starts fighting it off much sooner with the antibodies you have been given.

avoid exposure to people w/the flu, and wash, wash, wash your hands.

Yes. That's the key to not getting the flu.

For a pretty good recovery supplement I like 'Endurox R4'. Its a sports recovery drink with a 4-1 ratio of carb to protein that is supposed to speed muscle recovery and glycogen replacement. I'm not sure about scientific studies behind the product but for anecdotal evidence I can say that it works for me. :)

And yes, I swear by the stuff too. The multi-day backpackers best friend!!!

ALSO: Vitamin C. And I take Echinacia (sp?) as soon as I get the fluesy feeling. At the end of the day, a good balanced diet, a healthy lifestyle with plenty of rest, and lots of fruits and veggies is a big key to staying healthy thru the winter. That's easy enough, huh? ;)

Sleep outside in the winter! :D Well,at least as often as you can,and spend time outside in the cold. The perpetual "drippy nose"actual clears a lot of the "bugs" trying to find a home in you.
Seems like the more time we spend outside in winter,the less likely we are to be sick. We sleep with windows open,and heat just about off in winter. Heat in a house drys the air,and your sinuses. Dry sinuses are a great place for germs to attach-you end up sick.
Vitamins,in moderation,have gotta be helpful,but of course there's no substitute for sensible eating.
Did I also mention organic foods and personal care products(like Tom's).
Oh.....wait...that's my other soapbox :D

Injections

We sleep with windows open,and heat just about off in winter.

I'm afraid that:

#1 The pipes would freeze
#2 My wife would kill me

Not necessarily in that order

As far as staying healthy this winter........ the travel doc said after my 7th shot (went to Africa in August) that my immune system would be boosted and I probably wouldn't get sick this winter......not even a cold or anything yet. If you want to follow this regiment, here goes:

HEP-A
HEP-B (2)
TYPHOID
YELLOW FEVER
MENANJITIS
TETNUS

Potassium

I'm a big believer in potassium on the trail. And hydration. My legs used to experience crippling cramps after a few hours of walking uphill with a full pack. I suffered with the problem for a couple of years.

Now I bring Gatorade powder to mix in my water (and I force myself to drink about a quart every 2 hours or so) and mix plenty of dried banana chips in with my GORP. The gatorade and bananas are high in potassium.

And don't forget salt. You sweat out a lot of salt when exerting yourself, so you have to replace it. Your body needs salt to remain electrochemically effective, especially your nervous system. So salty peanuts go in my GORP as well.

Maybe it's just a superstitious ritual, but I haven't had any cramping problems since I started doing the above-mentioned things.

And for the cold and flu season: Vitamin C, Vitamin C, Vitamin C.

--Sijesi :cool:

Doc McPeak said:
Actually, the shot only lessens the severity of when you get the flu, and cannot make you immune or impervious to the flu. It just starts fighting it off much sooner with the antibodies you have been given. And I take Echinacia (sp?) as soon as I get the fluesy feeling. ;)

Or you get the shot and then you get a reaction that is as bad as the flu. Or you get the shot and get the flu anyway because the CDC is only guessing the strain for upcoming epidemics. Best thing...continue your healthy living and don't worry about it. Fear and worry will comprimise the immune system.

Echinacea is common but it really doesn't do that much. Its main action is to promote the poduction of macrophages. Goldenseal has a great action that fights mucosal infections. One of the best however with alot of research to back it up is elderberry (Sambucus niger) it puts the body in a false state of infection (induced leukocyts, interleukins and cytokines, fever etc.) so that you fight off the microbes before they can really take hold, and it tastes pretty good. Herbs usually taste like crap. I personaly use homepathy with great results.

If you take the advice and go camping...far away from people don't bring any pigs and ducks. :p

It is a common misconception that a person can get the flu from a flu shot. The vaccine contains inactivated virus particles that does not cause the flu. However, the spray version does contain a live-attenuated virus, which MAY cause flu, but is HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

In addition, the flu vaccine was created so that you are protected from the virus. That is, your body will create antibodies to make you IMMUNE. It works in much the same way as the varicella vaccine for chickenpox. Thus, as long as you have antibodies circulating in your blood, you should be protected.

The side effects of the flu vaccine include some mild symptoms such as a slight fever that is less than 100F, as well as a slight reaction at the sight of the injection such as redness and mild swelling. However, you will not get the flu.

It is true, though, that the the vaccine may not cover the actual strains of the influenza virus that is spreading. The CDC and other agencies/corporations run simulations and tests through bioinformatics to come up with the most likely strains of virus to evolve. However, sometimes these studies may miss a few strains. So it is possible that with the flu shot, you could acquire the flu from a different strain.

As for vitamins, there are a lot of research that still needs to be done. In general, it is possible to get vitamin overdose, especially those that are fat soluble (vit. A, D, E, K). There is a recent study about vit E toxicity, but I have not had the time to read it. In general though, the FDA recommendations for vitamins are much less than what the body needs. There have been studies showing that a person may need the quantity of 2-4x what comes in a regular multivitamin (ie, Centrum).

That said, what vitamins may be beneficial to hikers? well, the B complex is very good for the blood supply and creating energy, vit. C and E are great antioxidants to help the immune system. Elderberry, as mentioned in a previous post, contains some very good immune properties that help against viruses, like the flu, however, i'm not quite sure the mechanism. But if you do take it, try to avoid HUGE amounts - it is somewhat related to ricin. But I have never heard of an overdose yet.

So, eat well, exercise, and maybe the greatest factor is to not smoke. Hope the info is of help

I certainly won't describe the handful of supplements I've been taking, but I'm very happy with the results of 2 fish oil capsules a day. It's advertised as being good for your heart, but the immediate benefits have been an end to my chronic winter eczema and a boost to my immune system: since I've been taking it I haven't had a single cold, cold sore, or any other opportunistic infections. Even my summer heat rash hardly ever appears. That's a huge boon for this hiker!

i take solgar daily regimen vegitabs to keep me healthy and glucosamine/chondroiten/msm to keep my joints happy after an unhappy case of lyme disease.
lately my wife has me taking liquid astragalus as an immune system booster(tastes yucky).
every few months i drink woodroot tonic to cleanse my blood and jamiacan bitters to cleanse my intestines/colon.
geez sounds like alot!

charlos said:
...every few months i drink ...jamiacan bitters to cleanse my intestines/colon...
If you really want a thorough colon cleansing, try 2 oz of phospho-soda (I used this as prep for a colonoscopy and was AMAZED at it's effectiveness). In a pinch a 6-pack of Genny Cream Ale will also work well... :eek:

Give your body a chance to do what it is designed to do.

!. Stay hydrated! In the winter, we tend to drink less fluids because we don't feel hot or thirsty. The irony is that we need to drink as much or more in the colder weather to compensate for dry indoor air. Drinking fluids keeps us warmer, and puts less stress on the heart and lungs (facilitates blood flow). Our defensive tissues function best when kept moist.

2. Eat a balanced diet. A proper diet is a far better way of getting the vitamins and trace minerals needed to function. Besides the risk of overdosing on certain vitamins (which can cause real damage, as has been mentioned), taking some vitamins in excess can adversely affect the balance of our bodily functions. Remember the human machine was designed to operate without the need for artificial enhancements.

3. Wash hands frequently and thoroughly. It is well known that most viruses are transmitted through our own hands.

4. Exercise regularly, but not excessively. Raising body temperature contributes to killing viruses in our system (that's why we get fevers, folks). However, after excessive exercise, the immune system is compromised for a period of time thereafter.

5. Get outside as often as possible. As has been mentioned, one of the contributing causes of spread of disease is the fact that we spend all that time in enclosed areas with a number of people.

6. Sleep more. The body does most of its repair work while we sleep. Most of us don't get enough time and/or quality.

7. Avoid becoming a Bills fan. It is known for causing Dain Bramage.

Oldsmores said:
If you really want a thorough colon cleansing, try 2 oz of phospho-soda (I used this as prep for a colonoscopy and was AMAZED at it's effectiveness). In a pinch a 6-pack of Genny Cream Ale will also work well... :eek:

hey 'smores! c'mon man!!! a lot more than we needed to know!!! jeez!! ;) :eek:

i also shoot up epo and hgh. (just kiddin'!!!!!!) :D

I work in a medical facility at a military boot camp and get exposed to all sorts of germs year round. I do not do anything special other than wash my hands - alot - and try to avoid the direct line of fire of respiratory droplets from coughing recruits. I rarely get sick even though I am seeing lots of sick recruits. I do use zinc lozengers at the first sign of a cold. Studies have shown that they reduce symptoms of colds.

And its true, the injectable flu vaccine is an inactivated virus. You can't get the flu from it.

Aviarome said:
It is a common misconception that a person can get the flu from a flu shot. The vaccine contains inactivated virus particles that does not cause the flu. However, the spray version does contain a live-attenuated virus, which MAY cause flu, but is HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

In addition, the flu vaccine was created so that you are protected from the virus. That is, your body will create antibodies to make you IMMUNE. It works in much the same way as the varicella vaccine for chickenpox. Thus, as long as you have antibodies circulating in your blood, you should be protected.

The side effects of the flu vaccine include some mild symptoms such as a slight fever that is less than 100F, as well as a slight reaction at the sight of the injection such as redness and mild swelling. However, you will not get the flu.

It is true, though, that the the vaccine may not cover the actual strains of the influenza virus that is spreading. The CDC and other agencies/corporations run simulations and tests through bioinformatics to come up with the most likely strains of virus to evolve. However, sometimes these studies may miss a few strains. So it is possible that with the flu shot, you could acquire the flu from a different strain.

it is somewhat related to ricin.

The flu shot contains three strains of flu, two are A viruses designated by protien receptors on the virus coat designated as H or N, the third is a dead B virus. This years shot was A H1N1, AH3N2 and B. With the rate in which viruses can resort DNA the vaccine is a shot in the dark (Pun intended) and can miss the moving target. Yes it is true that you will not get the flu from the shot, however, side effects appear like a flu. Most drugs that are injected list adverse reactions that are similar to flu symptoms.
Furthermore many people who get the shot get the flu anyway. Yet the malady they complain about may or maynot be flu. Know one ever tests and there are no stats to show that flu shots are effective within a population. In fact it is pretty sloppy epidemiology.

Yes you are right about the theory of vaccinations. It is believed that the presence of antibodies will make one immune. Yet that is only one aspect behind the immune sytem. The reason why we have prevailed over infectious disease is really due to public health intiatives, better nutriton, high standard of living, clean environement. The advise to wash your hands during flu season is the best.

Aviarome what is your source of info on the elder? Ricin is made from castor oil. I don't recommend hiking and drinking castor oil.