VT 4K's Easiest winter routes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

Reaction score
Hey Now-
Looking for info on Mt Ellen, Abraham, Camel's Rump easiest winter routes, and KNOWN parking spots for TH's...Also any Killington routes from the EAST?
I'm working on the NE 4K Swiss-bob Descents list.

The Monroe and Dean trails up Camel's Hump make for a quick and relatively gentle climb even in winter. The Long Trail from the North heding south makes for a longer but still relatively moderate trip. The LT hike will bring you onto rocky ledges with slightly more exposure and this may or may not be a challenge you are looking for . . .

For Mansfield, the Hasleton Ski Trail is a possibility, and you can always hike the less desirable and longer route up the road. You can also hike up the LT, heading south. I have hiked up the LT to the Hasleton Trail and down in winter. There is a steep and tricky section on the LT in that section though this past summer I couldn't find it so either they moved the trail or my sense of scary has changed but in any case, this is one section to watch out for.

I have only ever hike Abraham and Ellen via the LT and this I would guess gets icy for the ascent up the Long Trail headed North . . . never done it in winter so I cannot say for sure. The ski trails, if you are allowed to hike them, might be another "easy" way . . . I am sure someone who knows better will chime in . . .

Haven't hiked Killington in winter and will probably just stick to hiking it via the LT going south.

Hope that helps a little.

sli74

For Abraham you can park in Lincoln and take the Battell Trail to the Long Trail and head North. For Ellen you can park in Jerusalem and take the Jerusalem trail to teh Long trail and head South. Or with two cars - start at one and end at the other to grab both peaks.

Hi Bob!

The Burrows Trail to Camels Hump is gentle for about 2/3's of its length. It's in the middle of glades popular for backcountry skiing. The access road isn't maintained in winter - at least it wasn't the three times I was there, so we drove in as far as we dared and parked off the road.

Only the ski area trails are on the east side of Killington - I don't know if they'd mind you bobbing down - maybe after closing? The Juggernaut ski trail is 10 miles long - that would make a great ride!

Last edited:
The Bucklin Trail up Killington is pretty mellow in the winter, only tricky part is that last .2 to the summit, which you have to deal with either way (unless you hike up the ski trails)

Monroe trail up Camel's Hump is popular and easy to get to (winter parking is just down the hill from the summer parking lot)

I hiked up the LT (south) for Mansfield..........lost the trail after Taft lodge.......and just aimed for the summit and dodged the insane skiiers coming down off the chin!!! Yikes, very steep!!! We went across the ridge and down Haselton (aka: ski trail) which was interesting with skiiers everywhere.

Abraham involved some deep trail breaking from the ski slopes to summit and I have yet to hike Ellen in winter............maybe this year!!!

Happy Hiking!

Myself and 2 great friends (Stinkyfeet and Sir Edmund) spent lots of time debating this VERY question two winters ago, and this is what we found for the easiest (and fastest) routes:

Killington: Up and down via the ski slopes (black diamonds are the shortest route up and the quickest to descend on via glissading, WOO-HOO!)

Ellen and Abraham: Up the ski slopes, across the ridge (Long Trail, which will likely be "unbroken"), then back down the slopes.

Camel's Hump: Burrows Trail which is short, ample parking, and typically well broken...

Mansfield: Up via The Long Trail out of Smugglers Notch, descending via the ski slopes (avoid the moguls!) :D

Trip Reoprt