warning to uncouth campers at Oliverian Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Hopefully, this post is not inappropriate for this forum, and I don't need to start a littering rant. Just wanted to get the word out, in case the violater reads this site.

On Saturday night, I saw people camping illegally at Oliverian Trailhead (Kancamagus Highway). They had set up camp, with huge fire, about twenty feet from the parking lot. They had a black Nissan Exterra with Mass tags, and they had two black labs.

On Sunday morning, I was doing a litter cleanup at the trailhead, so I checked out their site. They left the fire ring. On top of the pile of ash was a wad of toilet paper and human fesces on top of the tp. :mad:

FS has been informed, who have placed the campers on their *&%#list. They won't get any warnings next time; they'll get the maximum penalty.

If this party of pigs sounds familiar to you, please pass the word to them.

FS will get ya

Two summers ago after moving back from Idaho I lived in my camper for about two months at the Campton Bog USFS campground. One friday night a group of four set up in the site beside me and proceeded to build a bonfire and drink well into the night. The next day when they left, the campsite was a mess. Within 12 hours, they were back cussing and grumbling, and cleaning up thier mess. I guess that the FS tracked them down and put them back on track :)

Yes, I complied with the regs and moved sites every ten days. The CG host told me I didn't have to since they had very few campers in that mosquito haven but I felt like new scenery anyway.

Thank heaven I closed on a house by the end of August.

Just curious, does anyone on this site actually start up small fires (not trying to cause controversy) when camping out, and I do not mean like in this situation. Last November I saw a group that lit a bonfire alittle ways into the woods at the junc on Boncliff tr and Wilderness tr.

Is this even considered acceptable by WMNF standards? I just always assumed it was not, as well as by the time I stop for the night tending a fire is the last thing I want to do (along with the extreme fear of being one of those jerks who start a small forest fire by mistake).

Jkrew81 said:
Just curious, does anyone on this site actually start up small fires (not trying to cause controversy) when camping out, and I do not mean like in this situation. Last November I saw a group that lit a bonfire alittle ways into the woods at the junc on Boncliff tr and Wilderness tr.

Is this even considered acceptable by WMNF standards? I just always assumed it was not, as well as by the time I stop for the night tending a fire is the last thing I want to do (along with the extreme fear of being one of those jerks who start a small forest fire by mistake).
Campfires are the exception, not the rule.

I will be the first to admit, I maybe camped "illegally" at some stage - tho i hate that term. I would rather call it - "bending the rules camping".

"Bending the rules camping" is in the same catagory as going over the speed limit IMO. It happens at times and as long as its not abused, its not a big deal.

that being said, I would not do a fire, nor would I leave any trace of my stay there such as dung in the fire pit as in this situation - the situation that forestnome mentions is pretty tasteless and its just irresponsible camping period - illegal or not.

I do enjoy the campfire, but only partake in this activity in legal campsites, where a pit is already there.

there really is no need for someone not cleaning up after themselves.

Last edited:
forestnome said:
They had a black Nissan Exterra with Mass tags, and they had two black labs.

Did you write down their license plate # ?? Certainly that would make it easier for FS to find them in the future.

People like that really, really annoy me. Usually, too, they won't listen to anybody who tries to instruct them as to either rules and regulations or LNT ethics.

Thanks for your efforts, forestnome!

Yes this situation is terrible. Lets not forget the bright light....forestnome who took the initiative to clean up the place so the next bunch of hikers did not have to experience it.

Thanks

While we are venting here.....

While on Flume Saturday we found the ashen remains of a fire someone had going (and pretty big at that too.) I assume I need not preach to the choir here about rules and regs concerning fires above treeline on the ridge :( .

Brian

Jkrew81 said:
Just curious, does anyone on this site actually start up small fires (not trying to cause controversy) when camping out,

Is this even considered acceptable by WMNF standards?
I sometimes but not often build fires while camping or hiking.

Most land (by acreage) in the WMNF you may build a fire and don't even need a permit, note however that in the more accessible and popular areas including that in the base note fires are not allowed.

While the more extreme LNT people think you should carry out TP, burning it is accepted by the more moderate as an interim solution.

Jkrew81 said:
Just curious, does anyone on this site actually start up small fires

Ayup. After a cold soaking from fording a stream or after two day rain I often make an Indian's fire. Thanks for cleaning up that mess, forestnome.

I also enjoy a fire, but only if it's legal. While I don't have one all the time, it is nice to relax next to before retiring to bed. I've also gotten quite adept at cooking on one, since I have one just about every night in the summer at my house (cooking fires at personal residences in Maine don't require a permit). I haven't refilled my 20 lb propane tank in 4 years and still use the grill in the winter occasionally, but the tank still has the old valve in it.

While I don't think I've camped illegally, I did spend a night next to a shelter at Tucks because they were all full.

I have also had people pull into the campsite next to me, on more than one occasion, fire up the generator all night and generally make a mess.

I can admit that I've camped illegally once. Got caught out late and tired between the wolfjaws in the ADK's. Instead of trying to make it over and down to the wolfjaw leant-to, we decided to camp...right on the trail in the notch. (was already quite late) We were up and gone by 6 the next morning. Illegal? Yes. Better than most of the alternatives? probably so. At any rate..better than bonfires and sh#$%!

I've camped "illegally" quite a few times. Laying out a bivy sack on top of the summit rocks can be the greatest night sleep you'll ever have. Mind you, this has nothing to do with the situation at Oliverian Trailhead.

Appropriate thread Forestnome. You did more than rant about it, you pitched in to help. Thanks. I really have a hard time thinking they would be members or even regular vistitors here.

I am a longtime fan of The Log Channel - humanities longest running primetime entertainment. I have no problem with competent people having a fire, in accordance with the law.

The problem here wasn't fires, it wasn't even with LNT... The real problem here is a total disregard for other people and places - IN THE VERY AREAS THAT DREW THEM TO THE SITE IN THE FIRST PLACE. :mad:

After the last 4th of July, I had stopped up Pinnacle rock in the 'Fells to catch a sunset. A large group had been up there. They bought a couple of portable / disposable grills, and consumed a surprising amount of food and booze. I know this because not a single thing was picked up, grocery bags, wrappers, styrofoam, week old meat, and the cans and bottles.

The bottles were special. They were deliberately shattered in a huge pile. A cotton 'hoodie' had been left behind and gained some lovely heft from prior rains (I hoped).

Dennis and I bagged and carried out most of the stuff but it was bewildering to imagine someone going out of their way to a pleasant spot - and then completely trashing it. :confused:

Last edited:
humph..so I can't spell. The actions of those persons mentioned by the OP are totally unacceptable. I mentioned what I did just to bring up that over enforcement of some rules isn't always desireable.

Edit: Over reacting on my part.

A small legal fire during a winter backpack is a much welcomed friend.

Definately the exception and not the rule.

I've stealth camped while long distance backpacking, either in areas where its legal to bag a site within certain guidelines (distance from trail, water source and below certain elevation) , and generally only if out later/longer than expected and not where I intended to be ending that day, but have been sure to be low low impact and left the site clean. Again, exception and not the rule.

Last edited:
Agree with McRat, foxfire and una_dogger. Kudos to McRat for packing out the trash of others. It's hard to imagine people hiking so far to such a beautiful place and then leaving trash. Not everyone who uses the forest cares about it. For some, it's just a cool place to party.

I also have camped illegally in the past, but I set up late, broke camp at sunrise, and left it undectable. I wouldn't report someone doing the same. However, whenever I find a trashed site, I report it. The FS is there to keep the forest clean. It's our forest and our FS. FS is helped tremendously if we report abuse because we are a much larger group and we cover lots of ground collectively. Don't think of yourself as being hypocritical for reporting a site full of trash just because you've sacked out on the trail a few times,etc.

Last edited: