Waumbek and Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
Planning to climb Starr King and Waumbek this weekend and wondering whether I should bring crampons. I would prefer to wear my new Merrell Winterra (comfort factor) and I dont think my G 10s will work with the Winterras.

I know a lot of people have done this hike in winter on here, so I am just wondering if A) I will need crampons and snowshoes B) one or the other or C) given the weather it will likely be barebootable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dundare

Only having experienced it once, my advice may not be perfect, but I can see absolutely no reason you'd need crampons on this hike. There is nothing even remotely steep about it, no ledges, etc. On the other hand, the area does tend to get a lot of snow, so snowshoes would be on my gear list even if they just end up going for a ride. Given the weather, it may well be barebootable, but if raining you may like the 'shoes because of mushy snow and postholing.
Have fun!
-Weatherman

I agree that it is not steep and there are no ledges, also every year is different. That being said I fell/slipped pretty bad there in April when the trail was a slick run of consolidated snow...if the snow is soft you will be fine.
I have never felt so stupid because a guy I was hiking with offered me his G-10s and I said I was fine...I sprained my ankle and it flared up for months. Stabliicers would be great here too!
Have a great hike :)

Thanks for the replies.

I wish I could use my G 10s. With the curve of the sole on the Winterras, the bar is just too exposed. I have a feeling it would snap within minutes. Maybe I will just pick up a pair of stabilizers.

I haven't hiked Waumbek in several years, but IIRC, the trail is fairly easy. If this were a good snow year, snowshoes might be useful, crampons unlikely to be useful. However, given recent conditions of ice (most likely bumpy due to previous hikers) covered by thin snow, crampons could easily be the tool of choice. It might also be good instep crampon or stabilicer conditions. Then again, if we get some snow, it might go back to snowshoe conditions...

Doug

dundare said:
Thanks for the replies.

I wish I could use my G 10s. With the curve of the sole on the Winterras, the bar is just too exposed. I have a feeling it would snap within minutes. Maybe I will just pick up a pair of stabilizers.
? I always use my G10's with my winterras. They're fine... My G10's are strap on -- I forget, does Grivel make a G10 step in crampon? I've never had a problem.

There's no part of the Starr King trail that is steep enough that you couldn't use the snow shoes or even stablicers for extra traction.

-Dr. Wu

They are strap on - but I was just worried about the bar on the bottom - it just hangs out there in space along the curve of the sole. FWIW, I have only used crampons a couple times and am so far from being an expert it doesnt even need stating :)

dundare said:
They are strap on - but I was just worried about the bar on the bottom - it just hangs out there in space along the curve of the sole. FWIW, I have only used crampons a couple times and am so far from being an expert it doesnt even need stating :)
I use the G10's with the winterras and never had a problem. You should be fine. On a trail like Starr King, the learning curve for using crampons isn't too much... walk and try not to fall (or try to fall... it's not very steep). Last year there was one section that had a ton of ice and we all cramponed up for about a minute just to get past this one nasty spot. It wasn't very steep thuough.

-Dr. Wu

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement all. Hopefully, I will have a nice trip report up before the Super Bowl. My first winter 4k!

That section of ice

I second Dr. Wu on that trail report. Last February there was one rather impressive flow which stretched for a few hundred feet (it seemed). Ice everywhere. We were without crampons (they might have been in the pack), and it required some bushwhacking around and lots of tree grabbing (and a little slipping). Otherwise it was a very mellow hike not requiring even consideration of the crampons. I would stick some sort of ice protection in the pack, for sure. Be sure to bring a ladder if you want a view.

Was there on 1/21 & we barebooted it, some bare ground down low, between the peaks we postholed a few times but not enough or deep enough to warrant snowshoes although we carried them. My thought is the traction of most snoshoes should be fine on the grades.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the info.

I am gonna push the Waumbek trip back till next weekend - just got some free tickets for the Celtics tomorrow night and dont fancy on getting up at 4:30 am for the hike after going into Boston. Looks like I will sleep in a bit and then go wander the Blue Hills for the afternoon.

Cheers,
Dundare

There's a posting in the Trail Conditions on the Starr King Tr. for 2/1. I'd like to get Waumbek in soon as well.

I'll toss in a yes vote for the crampons. That was a good flow last January, this side of Starr King. Not steep.
If you don't take them, you'll need them. You know the way that works.

Was up there a week ago and carried snowshoes the whole way, should have put them on to go to E. Waumbek which was unbroken but was too lazy. Some people wore snowshoes higher up but low down it was too rocky.

I slipped & fell twice coming down, once on a hidden ice patch on the sidehill and once in slushy snow just above the summer parking lot. I think if I had been wearing crampons, I would have stumbed over hidden rocks & roots more times than that.

If you want to be sure of getting the summit, bring everything.