What do you bring as emergency sleeping arrangements?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timmus said:
I may be a different type of hiker. I don't carry much and I just deal with the circumstances. I am not scared of difficult situations, and I know from what I experienced that I can be tough... I want my life filled with those adventurous days. Even if that means dying on the mountain (I think that's better than dying in my living room).
I certainly understand the sentiment, just wanted to point out that nobody is tougher than hypothermia and that dying on the mountain is OK, as long as no SAR responders get hurt/killed looking for your body...

Sar

Good point. Some choose to go climb a mountain when a storm is clearly in the forecast (poorly clothed, mapless, no compass, wearing cotton...please add your favorite item here but please no cell phone :) , putting other's lives at risk. Others choose to be on a SAR team and go up in hellish weather to rescue some who had a clear shot at winning the annual Darwin award. Why do they do it ? Practice for the Himalayas. Self worth. Generosity. Probably a mix of all that. Sometimes, they even choose not to go up and wait for the weather to improve or for daylight to arrive. I guess it all comes down to choices, most of the time. Don't get me wrong : I admire what they do but it is not a basic necessity in terms of societal needs. People die : in their car, in their beds, in Iraq, even in their office ! I would be curious to hear a Rick Wilcox or another on the subject. Some people would probably act smarter if they knew that there is no SAR or 911. Your best choice will always be to learn the mountain, not just by reading The Freedom of the Hills, but by being with the mountain, over time, listening to it and to your inner voice, never being against the mountain. Over the years, one man's full on conditions become a more familiar environment. Go out there. Be smart. Respect your limits. They will slowly stretch over time. But don't expect any rescue from the society that you are choosing to leave behind from for a while.

Ridgerunner said:
Good point. Some choose to go climb a mountain when a storm is clearly in the forecast (poorly clothed, mapless, no compass, wearing cotton...please add your favorite item here but please no cell phone :) , putting other's lives at risk.

Some people would probably act smarter if they knew that there is no SAR or 911. Your best choice will always be to learn the mountain, not just by reading The Freedom of the Hills, but by being with the mountain, over time, listening to it and to your inner voice, never being against the mountain. Over the years, one man's full on conditions become a more familiar environment. Go out there. Be smart. Respect your limits. They will slowly stretch over time. But don't expect any rescue from the society that you are choosing to leave behind from for a while.

I think you got me wrong. I may not have been on the mountain as much as all those VFTTer's seniors, but I walked more trails in my life than I readed books. Because I hike solo most of the time, I have to respect my limits. I am always aware of the potential dangers surrounding me. I carry the essentials, I don't take any chances on getting lost. Most of all, I do not count on anybody to come rescue me. I have the sole responsability of my security. I would prefer walking until 5AM, injured, tired and hungry instead of waiting in emergency bivy, freezing my ass and expecting a helicopter to find me. I think I would feel a lot of shame if it happen to me.

so if you get stuck in the north cascades with inadequate equipment with a sprained ankle at 7000ft., you're going to tough it out?
that's impressive!

Emergency shelter

Well, up to now I have been pretty good at avoiding an unplanned night out, but, I do usually backpack and I rarely day hike, so I have everything I need with me. In the winter I usually do a base camp deal and when I leave for the day I pack my thermarest and a bivybag or vapour barrier and my stove with a small pot. With luck and good planning I have never had to test this set up. But this "extra" winter gear has come in handy and I do love a hot drink. In the other three seasons I do not bring a shelter with me on a day hike.

The vapour barrier I have did not cost alot. It is a Campmor brand one and it is rather heavy a gauge material for a vapour barrier. I wouldn't say that it is water proof.

I have often thought about explorers such as John Muir and there pocket of biscuits.

Last edited:
Bivy sack

I've seen a number of relatively inexpensive bivy sacks. I have a Bibler Winter Bivy which is nothing more than a simple Epic bag with a cross-chest zipper-nothing fancy-small and lightweight-retails for about $100US, got mine used for $50US. I'd try eBay and look in the buy/sell forum at backpacking.net (The Lightweight Backpacker). There are other forums there too with lots of advice on bivys since the site is aimed at lightweight camping and hiking.

anita514 said:
so if you get stuck in the north cascades with inadequate equipment with a sprained ankle at 7000ft., you're going to tough it out?
that's impressive!

Irrelevant "ironic" cheap shot. Timmus hikes in the crowded ADK's High Peaks, not in the remote North Cascades. Big difference.

In January 2000, a friend of mine (a 26 y/o girl) managed to hike out from Little Haystack's summit to the Garden on a badly sprained ankle. Got out at 1 AM, very cold night. She's real fine now.