What electronics don't belong in Wilderness areas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What electronic items shouldn't be allowed in the Wilderness?

• This is a silly question!

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Battery-powered toys (portable DVDs or Gameboy/PSP/Wii, etc...)

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Music players (AM/FM radios, iPods, etc...)

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Cell Phones

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • GPS

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Beer

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • There should not be regulations on what we bring into the Wilderness

Votes: 44 47.8%

• Total voters
Right off the bat, here’s a true Grumpy-like statement declaring that I have an intense dislike and very low tolerance for screeching babies, hollering kids, barking dogs, or obnoxiously loud adults in public places.

But somehow, I have never been offended by somebody making that “hey, I’m on the summit” cell phone call to whoever is listening on the other end. To me, that is the same as a group of people chatting enthusiastically among themselves – or engaging me in conversation – about having reached the top. How can that sort of thing actually offend anybody but the purely cussed?

Nor have I been offended by someone with a cell phone who makes a business call from some primo location. (In a normal tone of voice, that is.) What he wants to talk about is his business, and not mine. I don’t care to eavesdrop, and I don’t.

Where I draw the line is when some joker with a cell phone attached to his ear starts wandering around and into my personal space as if I weren’t there, while carrying on his (or her) conversation. But then, I also draw the line when a group of people (two or more) get so wrapped up in their own face-to-face conversation they wander into my personal space as if I weren’t there. I find that sort of behavior equally offensive whether it occurs on a mountaintop or city street.

Such intrusions can be done physically, or by projecting unnecessarily or abnormally loud noise (voices).

Now, I ask you, what is the material difference between someone perched on a mountaintop playing electronically recorded music and someone who (like a frequent poster to these Northeast hiking forums) occasionally pulls out a flute to play a tune when he reaches the top?

Aside from musical taste preferences where is the offense? (Personally, I dislike rock ‘n’ roll, and far prefer classical, light classical or authentic “folk” and “traditional” tunes, and do prefer music performed live.) Okay, suppose we find offense at the “unnatural” noise being made: Is it then legit to condemn one because it is produced electronically and not the other because it is performed “live” on an acoustical instrument when both are equally intrusive?

And how is any skin taken off anyone else’s nose when somebody sits atop a mountain listening to an iPod through ear buds? What is the real difference between someone off in his own little world doing that and another guy sitting there raptly contemplating his navel and paying no attention to other folks?

Some dufus who wanders around plugged into his iPod and physically invades my personal space like I weren’t there is offensive, I’ll warrant that.

The “personal space” thing is, to me, an important concept.

To me it means within an arm’s length, at the very least. I do not function well (or comfortably) in closely pressed crowds. My concept of personal space broadens when I am in more spacious, sparsely occupied places – maybe out to 10, 20, 50 feet or even more, depending on the spot. But I try not to be unreasonable about it.

My bottom line on this whole thing, I suppose, is that I don’t find the gadgets offensive in and of themselves. I might find the way they are used offensive. But isn’t that the way with even simple items like Pete Hickey’s axe? The root of the problem is not the device; it’s the human that wields it. Of course, that has been said before.

By the way, I voted “this is a silly question.” It is. But here I’ve tried to answer it seriously. Go figure.

G.

Grumpy said:
But somehow, I have never been offended by somebody making that “hey, I’m on the summit” cell phone call to whoever is listening on the other end. To me, that is the same as a group of people chatting enthusiastically among themselves – or engaging me in conversation – about having reached the top. How can that sort of thing actually offend anybody but the purely cussed?

You may now refer to me as Marty the purely cussed. :)

Grumpy said:

Add me to the "purely cussed" list when somebody making that cell call somehow needs to speak louder than an ordinary conversation tone. Why is it some people, whether on trains or mountains, need to raise their volume dramatically on the phone?

... I can't help but wonder what the "purely cussed" should do for entertainment that will free us from the "purely cursed"?

Stan said:
Add me to the "purely cussed" list when somebody making that cell call somehow needs to speak louder than an ordinary conversation tone. Why is it some people, whether on trains or mountains, need to raise their volume dramatically on the phone? ...

Stan, for the record here, I'll repeat that I find unduly noisy people -- the shouters and screamers -- intrusive wherever I encounter them. It doesn't have to be on a mountaintop. I do not regard that as unreasonable.

And I stand firm in my belief that it is unreasonable and pure cussedness to be offended by talk at normal conversation levels on mountaintops. I really don't expect people to whisper or speak in sotto voce up there. Do you?

If someone up there on the summit happens to be talking at normal conversational level into a cell phone, what's the fuss? How is that different from someone talking with live companions (perhaps somewhat excitedly), talking to himself, talking to his dog or talking to the mountain gods?

Personally, as long as they don't unreasonably invade my space I appreciate being around people who are having a good time, and who are willing to express their joy. It makes me feel good.

G.

Last edited:
Grumpy said:
And I stand firm in my belief that it is unreasonable and pure cussedness to be offended by talk at normal conversation levels on mountaintops. I really don't expect people to whisper or speak in sotto voce up there. Do you?

If someone up there on the summit happens to be talking at normal conversational level into a cell phone, what's the fuss? How is that different from someone talking with live companions (perhaps somewhat excitedly), talking to himself, talking to his dog or talking to the mountain gods?

Cussed has three separate meanings, from a quick dictionary search.

cuss·ed (kŭs'ĭd)

adj. Informal
a. Perverse; stubborn.
b. Cursed.
c. Stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing.

None are very flattering. Not sure which meaning you intend.

I don't like cell phones on summit, as it seems to detract from the reason I get outdoors in the first place, to be with nature and escape from the modern world. Sorry if that offends you.

Marty

Alright, I don't think that anyone should dictate what can and can't be brought into the wilderness, electronic wise, as long as it doesn't bother others.

HOWEVER, I can't believe the number of people I see hiking with ipods! It absolutely drives me nuts. Seiously, what's the point? I guess I see the point, but you're in the woods! It's even better when you see a couple and only one of them has the tunes. Anyway, it really made me wonder when I read Aaron Ralston's book, he was listening to headphones. You're not there, you're not 100% present if that sense is plugged into something else.