What is happening with MSR snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a strap break last year and, like the original poster, learned that they were no longer selling straps separately through retail. I sent an e-mail to Cascaade's customer service and received a return e-mail the next day. They asked me to call and when I did they said they would send out a replacement strap at a cost of (if I recall correctly) $3.00 per strap. I ended up ordering a few, just in case, and they arrived a couple of days later.

I was ultimately pleased with the response but it seems it would be a lot easier for them to simply package and sell replacement straps.

I was ultimately pleased with the response but it seems it would be a lot easier for them to simply package and sell replacement straps.

I would guess that if they don't sell replacement parts, it's because they can make more money selling replacement snowshoes. Everything these days is throwaway. I've learned the hard way that most major appliances last ~10 years, now that I am 11 years into my house. Technology improvements come along so fast that it makes sense (at least to the suppliers) to sell new stuff.

Tim

Well mine did work fine over the weekend, though one of my fellow hikers had his break. I'll try trimming the end to see if that relieves some of the pressure on the strap.

I would guess that if they don't sell replacement parts, it's because they can make more money selling replacement snowshoes. Everything these days is throwaway. I've learned the hard way that most major appliances last ~10 years, now that I am 11 years into my house. Technology improvements come along so fast that it makes sense (at least to the suppliers) to sell new stuff.

Tim

That did occur to me Tim but even someone like me, who is always ready to buy new gear, is going to think twice before buying an entire pair of snowshoes just because one strap broke. It would be like buying a new pair of boots because a lace broke.

MSR now has several differant straps and snowshoe bindings. Still think the Lightning Ascents are well worth the money - put over 3 years and at least 150 mountain peaks on a pair before I had a single issue. When I did, MSR replaced the bindings very quickly for no charge (other than the cost for me to send just the bindings to them)

Replacement parts can be ordered onine from them:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/snowshoe-accessories/category

Perhaps dealers have chosen not to carry the many differant parts themselves??

The 12 inch replacement straps can be ordered online:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/snowshoes/snowshoe-accessories/12-classic-snowshoe-strap-kit/product

Also the new repair kit which has parts for the new Axis snowshoe:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Snowshoe-Field-Maintenance-Kit/dp/B0010Y4VL4

or at REI
http://www.rei.com/product/792005

Last year I noticed the material on my bindings shredding. I contacted MSR and described the situation eactly. They told me I could buy replacements or send them in for replacing, but both would cost me, NOT including the shipping, of $20 per from them or $30 per from the place they referred me to. Frankly I found this stupid since this appears to be a common flaw with these. Besides, I never really liked the bindings to begin with. So I started looking at new snowshoes (I did at get 5 years out of my MSR's afterall). I found a pair of Tubbs Mountaineers on sale for a GREAT price out Backcountry.com. They use the Alp Flex binding, but have the traditional aluminum tube frame. IMHO they are a FAR superior snowshoe than the MSR's. Breaking trail with them is much more pleasant than with the old MSR's. I am probably still going to get the bindings replaced on the MSR's so I have a pair of beater back-ups for winter whacking or to loan out.

Brian

Brian, were they shredding in the same manner as mine? I got the bindings shipped to me for no charge and they let me keep the old ones (hence I have a nice supply of replacement parts, including the straps.)

Tim

Just got mine back. They completely replaced the binding and the toe crampons, free of charge. It's the newer bindings, so it will be interesting to see how they work.

My snowshoes were gone for just over 2 weeks- considering that it took nearly a week to mail them there via the cheapest shipping method, the repair and turn around time must have been no more than a day or two. The person I spoke with on the phone wasn't kidding when they said "2 to 3 weeks at most, but usually a lot faster."

I'm definitely quite satisfied with MSR (Cascade Designs) after getting my snowshoes back, and will continue to recommend their snowshoes, and now their service, to people in the future.

Brian, were they shredding in the same manner as mine? I got the bindings shipped to me for no charge and they let me keep the old ones (hence I have a nice supply of replacement parts, including the straps.)

Tim

Yes. They still told me I had to buy new bindings. Kinda pissed me off since I knew other people were getting free replacements themselves. I may try again and send them pictures this time, but at this point it is all moot since I have the new pair of Tubb's Mountaineers (and love them 1000 times better.)

Brian

Last edited:
I have the 25". They also have 30" as well, but when I bought mine the 25" ones were the only ones on sale. I was worried the 25" ones might not be good for breaking trail in deep snow, but the deal was too good to pass on. Well, sure enough Saturday my friend Joe and I broke out Ethan Pond trail and Willey Range trail to the summit. pretty much 2 feet of snow all the way up. They handled as well as I could possibly have hoped for and easily as well as the MSR's did with the tails on. But what is more is the binding is so much the better to get into and out of. They do not compress my boots like the MSR bindings did, thus slowing blood flow and making my feet cold (I did still get cold feet on Saturday, but that was the cause of long stops and not the binding.) Instead of 4 indivudual straps and no "idiot proof" foot placement stop you get two on the TUbbs, the rear and the top which has two tabs you pull and they compress the entire binding system. If you have seen anyone get into Alp FLex bindings they are the same thing....same straps, same crampon setup, the only difference is the traditional frame and decking (which, I have noticed, are quieter then the plastic Alp Flex and MSR.)

Brian

Exchanged some email with MSR customer service. They have no problem with sending replacement straps at no charge.

I asked if there was anything to do to prevent breakage. There reply:

"As for preventing it in the future the best way is to not use your snowshoes. Just kidding. The straps will break over time with extended use and there isn’t really a preventative measure. Maybe don’t over-tighten them, but beyond that we don’t really have any other suggestions. I will include a few extras so you have spares."

Can't you still use the strap that broke? Just move it "one hole up"?

In addition to the link that Tim posted earlier, you may want to read this one.

Exchanged some email with MSR customer service. They have no problem with sending replacement straps at no charge.

I asked if there was anything to do to prevent breakage. There reply:

"As for preventing it in the future the best way is to not use your snowshoes. Just kidding. The straps will break over time with extended use and there isn’t really a preventative measure. Maybe don’t over-tighten them, but beyond that we don’t really have any other suggestions. I will include a few extras so you have spares."

It's great that they are doing that for you. I am just confused that they don't really seem to have a system to deal with what (based on common sense and their e-mail to you) is a pretty predictable occurrence of the straps breaking before the shoes need to be replaced. As I mentioned in a previous post, they sent replacements to me but charged me a nominal amount for them. Bob and Geri point out that they list replacement strap on the web site. However when you click on that it reads that this product is no longer available. They are sending you replacements for free.

I just can't figure out why they don't have a consistent approach to dealing with this.

I am not trying to bash MSR. I love my shoes and swear by their other products as well, including filters and stoves. I just can't fathom why they don't simply make replacement straps available in retail stores.

That is what I did to continue hiking this past weekend. My concern was that if the strap broke in one place it might be stressed enough that it would break again.

I plan to try the approach outlined in the link, I was surprised/interested that the MSR representative did not mention this as a possibility.

That is what I did to continue hiking this past weekend. My concern was that if the strap broke in one place it might be stressed enough that it would break again.

It's really a non-issue if you just cut the strap short enough so that it doesn't touch the decking when the binding pivots. I did that 2 years ago, and have never had another strap failure on mine.