What should I have done?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past Saturday between Washington and the hut I tried the "excuse me" method.

I caught up with a hiker and stayed behind him for 15 seconds or so and when he looked at me but didn't step aside I politely said "excuse me, can I get by" and then thanked him. From his sort of "you're welcome" I realized that english is not his first language and possibly hiking etiquette may not be a strong point of his or his group. So, when I caught the next I gave him a few seconds and then askd again, after that as I caught the rest I just asked before I got to them and didn't lose a stride. I thanked each and they responded in another language. Actually I don't think some were responding, I think they were talking about me ;)

I think that just because they are adults doesn't mean that they know better. I don't even think some of these guys knew what I was asking. I thanked them anyway.

Next time try flashing your high beams.

How hard is it, really, to just politely ask "Folks, could we get by?" Perhaps you could practice saying that at home in front of a mirror.

I just would have asked nicely if they minded if I passed - in the summer its not so much an issue - but in the winter when going slow means being cold - I would not have hesitated to pass - in this situation, I might have also done what you did for a bit before asking. If someone is quicker than me -- I typically ask them if they want to go ahead.
depends on my mood i guess - you could have always threw rocks at them.

I have to agree w/ most of the other opinions posted so far. I don't think these people made the several hour trip up to baxter(one of the most scenic places in the US) just to hike slowly in front of someone and tick them off. I think they were waiting to do this later when they are driving back south on route 1 about 20 mph below the speed limit. I have never felt stressed about these hiking situations, it's too beautiful and peaceful outdoors to let the little things get to me. Enjoy the views and the exercise, plenty of time later to stress about the slow traffic. And like everyone already mentioned, just ask to pass. I have never had anyone say no to me.

My fault for not making this clear up front: At no time were we stressed out or upset. It was more of a slight dis-belief of how long this was going on. All the while my buddy and I kept exchanging quick grins. We both were enjoying this small example of quirky human nature. Yeah, I knew the lack of a 'thank you' on my part wouldn't go over well (and I can admit I was wrong on that point), but it wasn't because I was stressed or angry. It's just that I didn't think their actions deserved a 'thank you'. No biggie.

p.s. The 25'ish guy seemed to have a pathetic macho-thing going, where he wasn't going to let two guys in their late 30's pass HIM. This was also a fun aspect that we were silently trying to prolong. And the look on his face as we passed him said it all.

I have led slower groups and as a leader, I always have let people pass. In fact, I've let so many folks pass that it's annoyed a hiker or two in my group!

In this type of group when there is no "leader", responsibility might be diffused, with the adults wondering who is going to suggest the fast hiker pass... or, they could all be tired and not thinking.

As a faster hiker, I also tend to be very quiet.. and I know that people don't often hear me come up behind them. I've startled several people!

A simple "I think I'm going to be sick" always gets me out of the way.

I think tapping the poles on rocks works most of the time just to let them know you're there. And yes I also grew up and live in mass.... :cool:

I remember one time I came up on a woman hiking alone on the Greeley ponds trail and her, not hearing me, kept walking along slowly. This was my pre-pole-tapping days, so I just kept going figuring shed notice me. I had a head-cold so along the way I "sniffed" my nose kind of loud from about 10 yards behind her, she lept around so fast I thought she was going to faint in her tracks. I had obviously startled her and after greeting her and appologizing for scaring her, I passed her under her pissed-off looking gaze.

I guess my nose could have very well sounded like a bear or other large animal sniffing along behind her. So pole tapping or a loud cough to get their attention usually does well. Then a polite "Mind if we pass?", always works.

Trail Manners

I would have said something sooner- like "can we pass" and no matter what I would have thanked them for letting you pass.

People are not mind-readers- "sing out Louise!" :D

This same thing has happened to me many times and as it made you it made me hot period. Its a lack of hiking etiquete for sure on thier part, but to be fair people who dont hike alot havent had the chance to learn proper manners on the trail. This same thing happened to me just 2 weeks ago on Falling waters trail. It was a couple and the girl was leading and her "man" was in front of me, at first I got behind him and patiently waited, then I got a little closer, again patiently, then it got to me this dude did not want me to pass for whatever reason, rather then confront him and make a issue, I climbed passed him through the woods to make a point, the girl then asked "oh did you want to pass?" I decided it was better to still be quiet, my mom told me "nothing nice to say, say nothing" my mom is never wrong, so I listen. UNlike some people I do not reward rude behavior, by being polite, but I always say thank you to polite people.

Try this next time.

1. Lightly "tag" the back of their pack and scream 'Your it!". Then turn around and run away.
2. Loudly mention to your hiking buddies, that a vehicle just got towed from the trailhead.
3. Distract them with a shiny object...then move past them.

In all seriousness, when you catch up to the group like the one you described, ask the "macho" person a simple gear question or the like. The group will stop, you'll chat for a few minutes, and the group will more than likely step to the side and you can pass. People, even ones that have something to "prove" by not letting you pass, often just need an "out" or reason.

peace.

All to often I am the one holding people up and am quite happy to let them pass. Usually I am in my own world and they startle the bejeesus out of me once I settle down I step aside and tell them to enjoy their day. When people are in front of me or should I say between me and a buffet I let out a good "Make a hole make it wide" (James Earl Jones - Gardens of Stone) and that usually gets the desired response.

...Joe

I used to get bent out of shape by people not letting me pass. Thinking that they were rude and that they should know to get out of my way. So I'd wait for a wide part of the trail and fly by them leaving without even looking at them.

Then I started saying "excuse me, can I pass?" and they have always graciously stepped aside. Some times we have even had nice chats while I do so.

It turns out that I was the one being rude and unsocial.

dvbl said:
p.s. The 25'ish guy seemed to have a pathetic macho-thing going, where he wasn't going to let two guys in their late 30's pass HIM. This was also a fun aspect that we were silently trying to prolong. And the look on his face as we passed him said it all.
Imagine what the 3 stooges would've done to this guy as they passed him.

"ohh, so ya wanna play tough, eh......SMACK!##%!@! BOINK!#@x%#! TAKE THAT!!" :D

This happens to me all the time. I often hike quite fast for the first few miles so I can enjoy a long dayhike. I'll catch up to many parties. I simply say " good morning", and 99% of the time the people will understand that this solo hiker is traveling much faster and step aside.

Occasionally, they will say hello but keep hiking. I immediately ask if they would let me pass, never had a problem. I assume that they don't know that I want to pass.

I've only come across people seemingly unwilling to yield a couple of times (both going downhill where I do better) although I have come across people going uphill that seem to jump up when they see you & try staying ahead of you. Sometimes they are faster than me, sometimes after a couple of minutes the person in the back is not having fun with me behind them & they yield, usually the whole groups pulls off then.

leaders should spend sometime in the back to get an idea of what it feels like to have people on their heels, it's no fun

Leaders need to drop the macho thing, this soes seem to be a guy thing (I'll deny I said that ;) ) these peaks have been climb 1000's of times before some in that year alone

I probably would have made noise with my poles when I first got annoyed, (when going downhill I jump down instead of step down, at my size, this makes a bit of noise) then would have started saying excuse me. I would have said Thank You & take care regardless although depending on how long I festered it may have been dripping(soaked) in sarcasm.

Seems many more Morons on the road than idiots, when the kids are in the car faster drivers are crazy nuts & teh slower ones are wonderful people with no place to go. Darren has rules which prevents me from saying what they are when the kids aren't in the car..... :D