What to carry when snowshoeing to sit on

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before, but I searched this forum for "seat" and nothing with a relavant title popped up.

I would like to be able to sit down on a snow-covered rock or fallen tree or whatever when I am out snowshoeing. What would be a good thing to carry that is lightweight, doesn't absorb water, and would provide a little bit of insulation for my butt? I guess the insulation would be the least important factor, but I think I need something more than a plastic bag.

I carry 1/2 of a closed cell foam pad. Sometimes I'll just on the back of my pack too.

-MEB

Many of us just carry a piece of foam cut from a sleeping pad and sit on that.
Usually I line my Back pack with a piece then you can take it out or just sit on the pack.
One thing, if you do take it out, it might blow away so you have to be carefull of that, as it could become just a piece of litter unsightly and of no benefit.
Good luck

Last edited:
Thermolite sounds perfect

Thanks. percious! I see one for sale for $15.00 and it looks great. It looks a little bit bulky for what I am used to carrying, I might cut it down the middle if it's possible to do so without everything coming undone.

slowpoke said:
Thanks. percious! I see one for sale for $15.00 and it looks great. It looks a little bit bulky for what I am used to carrying, I might cut it down the middle if it's possible to do so without everything coming undone.

For the same price you can buy a Snowclaw. It's 5 oz. and easy to stow. It doesn't work well as a butt slide tool, (see other threads), but can be used as a shovel, or splint.

in all seriousness, just brush the snow off the log or whatever. and if you're sitting on the ground, it's more comfortable to take the 'shoes off, so then just sit on the 'shoe. but then i just don't like to carry too much stuff and this seems like a prime candidate for "stuff" you don't really need. :)

Slowpoke,

You can get a cheap closed cell foam sleeping pad for $7.00 at Target or Walmart in the camping section.
Cut into thirds or quarters and you get 3-4 sitpads that can be also be used under your head, hips, back or feet as additional insulation when cold weather camping.

Last edited:
An old, cracking 15" square of Ensolite foam. Works great, weighs nothing, slides into the pack without taking much room.

But usually I just sit on my pack (when I'm not laying on my back on the snow!). :rolleyes:

I find that if I sit on my pack 1 of 2 things happens. Either my butt gets wet from the sweat, or the back of my pack gets snow/ice frozen on it from the sweat. I also usually have pointy things on my pack that I dont want to stick me.

The pad serves 2 purposes. In an emergency I always have enough stuff to make a bivy, so the pad works well for that. I like the feeling that I can survive a night out if need be.

The Thermolite reflects heat much better than a cell foam pad, and is lighter per square foot. It actually feels warm when you sit on it. (Abster should be able to testify!) I like having the extra length, because for the 4 extra ounces, my hiking buddies are usually much happier :)

-percious

Take the bladder from a box of wine or the "Joe to Go" boxes you get at Duncan Donuts. They folks flat, weigh nothing, are remarkably tough, and keep your butt dry and warm.

:)

-dave-

My pack. I just take care not to sit on anything squishable, like peanut butter sandwiches - but when I'm sitting it's usually to eat the sandwich so it doesn't matter. Since the pack is lower to the ground than most ordinary chairs, I flip my snowshoes 180 degrees around my feet so I can stretch out my feet in front of me to keep my balance, with the shoes upside down resting on my shins. It's quite a comfortable way to sit.

I end up going with Bruno's suggestion, I just take the shoes off and sit on them. This weekend on a day hike I brought along my crazy creek chair, used it with the shoes and I felt like the only thing I needed was a cold beer and a remote for the TV, very comfy set up. Using a square of of old sleeping pad is a smart way to go as well... Also check to see if your pack has a removable piece of padding in the back, you can use that.

At a yard sale I got one of those round orange hunter seats, weighs a few ounces and is just big enough for one person. Fits nicely in my pack and the foam inside heats up too which is nice :)

I usually carry the Crazy Creek chair in winter because:
  • You can use it to sit on while eating lunch or resting
  • It makes an excellent splint
  • It doubles as a sleeping pad if someone is injured and needs to lie down on the snow for extended periods
  • In a pinch, it's a sleeping pad

-dave-

I took a Ridgerest and cut it into two pieces, 1/2 and a 2/3. The 2/3 piece I take for winter camping only, which covers from my shoulders to my thighs, in addition to another sleeping pad.

The 1/3 piece has gone with me on every trip, every season, for many years now. You can use it to stand on when at the campsite. Sit on on day trips in the snow. Sit on for summer trips, too. This piece goes inside my backpack to protect against anything sticking into my back. The 2/3 piece gets rolled on the outside on camping trips.

I like to sit on my pack, and when doing really LONG winter days, I like to just lay on my back with my pack still strapped on (like a turtle flipped on it's shell) :)

percious said:
The Thermolite reflects heat much better than a cell foam pad, and is lighter per square foot. It actually feels warm when you sit on it. (Abster should be able to testify!) I like having the extra length, because for the 4 extra ounces, my hiking buddies are usually much happier :)

-percious
I'll vouch for that. I saw "the pad" in action on Monadnock and the threesome using it seemed quite comfortable. The heat reflective properties of Percious' pad give it a distinct advantage over regular foam, IMHO. I would assume the weights are comparable.

Smitty