What to drive in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SAR-EMT40 said:
How come Bernie doesn't have his cell phone up to his ear? I see its plugged in next to him. :D

Keith
Bernie understands that cell phones are never to be used while driving and is only available for 911 calls.
Smart fella! :D

That's a sweet rig, Maddy.

And on the subject of braking and skids - once or twice I've had the experience of actually accelerating after braking - i.e., the brakes lock on ice, and the acceleration. When that happens, it takes nerves of steel (at least for me) to take your foot OFF the brake pedal, when every instinct is to press harder!

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
When that happens, it takes nerves of steel (at least for me) to take your foot OFF the brake pedal, when every instinct is to press harder!

Your leg will never feel heavier than when you are trying to pull it off the brake in a situation like that. I mean that literally. It is pure concentrated force of will to lift it off of the brake in a situation like that. :D

I have experienced it several times. My leg felt like it weighed a ton. My belief is that you are experiencing muscle memory. Generally we train and train and train to hit the brakes when something goes wrong. It just like soldiers and cops train over and over again so that when your mind is overridden with fear you still react and react properly. Your “muscles” maintain that training and react the way they are supposed to. Trying to override that in a panic situation isn’t easy because you have trained your muscles to hit the brakes.

This isn’t just my belief. Gonzales in his book Deep Survival makes a very good case for this type of training and behavior and how it can get people in trouble. A very good book IMHO by the way.

Again, just my $.02,
Keith

That's interesting, Keith. There's a good article here that makes similar points. This article may have been referenced here before - don't recall exactly where I saw the reference.

Kevin Rooney said:
That's interesting, Keith. There's a good article here that makes similar points. This article may have been referenced here before - don't recall exactly where I saw the reference.

Interesting. This NG article was also written by Gonzales. If you like this article I would strongly suggest you read his book.

Ah yes. Also included in this article (and his book) is the mental models that everyone makes that serve us daily so well and how we come to depend on them and how badly it can lead you astray in unfamilar situations. The "I think the camp is just over there" issue. Making people continue on when they should actually be stopping and preparing for nightfall while they still have daylight, etc.

Like my dad always use to tell me. Its not the things you don't know that get you in trouble, its the things you know to be true, that ain't so. :D

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Not really comparing apples to apples here Doug. Those cars are typically 5 to 10 years ahead of what the industry is providing us.
I think you missed my point. My point was that some ABS systems can outperform some of the best drivers in the world some of the time.

In situations where the traction is predictable, it is not particularly hard for a skilled driver to out-brake an ABS system. Maximum wheel traction occurs with some wheel slippage (5-10% IIRC). (Consumer ABS systems sense the start of the slippage as the cue for pulsing the brakes.) A skilled human can detect and brake in this small-amount-of-slippage zone, current consumer ABS pulse the brakes for a more reliable but less than maximum amount of braking.

In situations where the traction is unpredictable or changing rapidly, I expect that an ABS system could outperform many (or most) humans because it has a faster reaction time and directly detects what is happening with the wheels rather than seeing a different-looking patch of road and trying to guess how hard to brake. A human reaction time can easily be 1/2 second or longer and a car can easily travel 50 or more feet (at highway speeds) in this time.

The brakes are the start of the mechanical system that also involves the shifting of the CG of the car that makes the car slide or not slide.
I think your physics is a bit off here. Hitting the brakes does not change the CG of the car. It changes the applied forces. It adds drag (retarding forces) at the contact points of the wheels with the road. Since these contact points are below the CG of the car the forces are equivalent to a drag at the CG and a rotational force pushing the front downward which rocks the car body forward and places more weight on the front wheels and less on the back. (Increased (decreased) weight on the contact point increases (decreases) the available friction.) If the horizontal force at the contact points of any of the wheels is greater than the available friction, the wheel slides and the car skids.

This sets up the attitude of the car. The only reason for a skid on any surface is panic. Learning to lift your foot off of the brake when you desperately want to stop because you perceive an immediate emergency is a learned skill. It is not normal.

Retraining your brain to lift your foot off of the brake and re-apply it not hard enough to skid again and try to steer around is the skill that needs to be practiced.
I use a different logic chain, which I think works better for me. If I need to stop or slow down, I hit the brakes, and of course, with practice one learns how approximately hard one needs to brake. If I feel the car begin to skid, then I lighten the brakes to control the skid. My goal is to be able to apply the maximum brake force before skidding rather than taking my foot off the brake before any skidding occurs.

Doug

Antilock brakes are the tip of the iceberg. Note that some cars come with a full stability control system where the 4 wheels are braked or powered individually under computer control when the car doesn't go exactly the direction desired (like when fishtailing).

Simple ABS stuttering the wheels to try to maintain static friction with the pavement is one thing, stability control another beast entirely.

MichaelJ said:
Antilock brakes are the tip of the iceberg. Note that some cars come with a full stability control system where the 4 wheels are braked or powered individually under computer control when the car doesn't go exactly the direction desired (like when fishtailing).

Simple ABS stuttering the wheels to try to maintain static friction with the pavement is one thing, stability control another beast entirely.
ABS, of course, only works when you hit the brakes. Stability control works all the time. (It works by selectively braking on one wheel at a time as necessary when you are on the edge of control.) I've read a range of reports--some don't do much and some are pretty helpful.

Doug

Tire Rotation

Originally Posted by KayakDan
Being in the car biz,I hear all kinds of advice,and this one surprised me. When installing new tires,they should always go to the rear axle first,then fronts. This policy has been adopted by Honda and Tire Rack recently

Sure, if you had a problem with one or even two of the tires, but with regular tire rotation, and maintaining proper tire pressure, the tires should wear evenly and all 4 would be replaced at the same time, so shouldn't be an issue.

It will be interesting for me to see how the snows I put on my Nissan wear, they are the directional snow tires, so can't be rotated according to the usual left front to right rear, etc. pattern. Any body have experience with them? They Blizzaks

DougPaul said:
If you are braking with more grip on the front the rear wheels are likely to skid first and the car tends to flip around backwards. If the front wheels skid first, at least the car will tend to stay straight.
Yup. Happened to me. Needed tow truck but fortunately not ambulance. I started putting the good tires on the back after that.

Nice discussion.
I researched the type of brakes on my FJ Cruiser. It has
VSC (vehicle stability control)
ABS
EBD (elctrnic brake-force distribution) and
BRAKE ASSIST
Had not paid much attention to these features at the time of purchase.
I like it even more now...if that's even possible :D

I had to slam on my brakes recently and was very surprised at how it held the road. Now I have an explantion.

I had the occasion to see what stability control will do,a couple of years ago.
Driving back from Quebec,about 2 in the morning,in light snow,with a light coating on the road. I came over a hill into a slight downgrade,and suddenly,I'm sliding. I turn to straighten the vehicle(Honda Pilot),the backend swings around,and I'm going up on two wheels,expecting to roll. The stability control and ABS kick in,(very noisy) and it felt like somebody slammed the car back to the ground,and I was back in control. The vehicle reacted faster than I ever could have done.

Definitely impressive!

A good rule of thumb for winter driving:Never drive faster than you would wan't to crash into something! :D

Jake said:
they are the directional snow tires, so can't be rotated according to the usual left front to right rear, etc. pattern. Any body have experience with them? They Blizzaks
Having used directionals for a while now all you do/can do is switch front to back on the same side.
I've heard plenty good on the Blizzaks.

I *adore* my Blizzaks...

Regardless of what you drive, if you drive in NE weather, you want four good snows. I am on my, er, fourth pair of Blizzaks, on two different front-wheel drive cars (Mini Cooper S, and now a Volvo V50 wagon). They make all the difference -- as I have noted in other winter driving threads, I routinely (carefully) pass SUVs with all-season tires on hills all over the Whites.

My biggest fear, honestly, is that I can stop much, much shorter than the giant grill I usually see in my rear-view mirror on Rt 93 any given Friday night. My good snow tires don't repeal the laws of physics for the guy behind me.

Another plug for a great online tire source: if you're in the market, The Tire Rack has outstanding service, very competitive pricing, and great tools for finding the right tire for your car. Buy a set of steel wheels and have the snows mounted -- it makes fall/spring changeover a breeze, and the wheels will pay for themselves in over a couple of years (cost of remounting adds up fast).

I got a set of blizzaks from tire rack and put them on my steel wheels, and bought a mag wheel and tire combination from tire rack also. Great service and price. Tires and driving skills are the most important things in winter driving.

grog

I have had good luck with Nokia Haks, the siping seesm to hold up a bit longer than some of the competitors.