What's on your feet? (Three-season hiking footwear)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's on your feet?

• Total voters
EMS Hiking Boots. I need the ankle support and they work just fine for me.

it seems the only folks you see on the trails with foot issues are wearing leather boots

Perhaps so. I bore with "foot issues" exacerbated by ill-fitting footwear for many years, before getting a pair of custom Limmers. Boots fit perfectly; foot issues went bye-bye; smiling tootsies all the way; happy hiker. My solution worked for me. Yours is for you.

G.

Shoe fit has always been an issue for me, so I tend to wear what fits. I recently spent some time reviewing a New Balance lasts chart and bought these trail runners based on the charts. Anyone with odd size feet needs to do a little more homework. So far I'm very happy. These are the first shoes I've been able to run in, without triggering alot of foot pain, in years.

I've found trail runner uppers last longer if you wash them fairly often to remove the grit. That grit, if left in the fabric, eventually chews it up. Desert sand is the worst; a one week trip to Red Rocks can kill the uppers on a pair of trail runners.

Gaiters: I don't wear them much on the trail, but for bushwhacking I wear the OR scree gaiters to keep the twigs and pine needles out. They work well. The factory string that goes underfoot was a joke. I replaced it with two pieces of shock cord for each gaiter; that lasts for a few months. I think OR has upgraded to some kind of strap, but I haven't bought a pair in a while. Google "scree gaiter" for many choices. Stay away from the EMS model (they cheaped out and replaced the Shoeller fabric with something that doesn't stretch), and stay away from the Mountain Hardwear model with the upside down lace hook (dumb idea, catches on stuff in the woods).

TCD

Looking at the results so far, the combined boot categories are up to 27 and the trail runners is at 18. Trail runners is the current leading category overall but people have checked multiple categories as well.

I'm still interested in the correlation between trail runners and hikers-street runners-are the trail runner users mainly road/street runners?

My main problem with the Crestas is that on hot days and long trips without changing socks I do get some blisters or ankle abrasions. Since it doesn't ever happen in cooler weather it likely stems from sweat (not that I sweat or anything :rolleyes:)

Tim

Merrell Mesa Ventilators, low-tops....I wear them 3-season almost exclusively.
no gaiters...if a pebble gets in my shoe I remove it
no gortex...for me gortex equals hot sweaty feet
extra socks if my feet get too wet
bandaids/moleskin for hotspots

I have LL Bean Crestas and I love them. I haven't worn them in over a year.
If I know I'm going swamp-hiking in pouring rain, I'll wear the boots. That's about the only time. For me, boots offer zero ankle support.

Hiking, trail-running, backpacking, doesn't matter......I wear the Merrells.

also, smartwool (or similar) socks

I use new balance trail runners (whichever 800 series is in production or on sale). I do not run on trails, its just that I can get a better fit and find that I have less ankle issues than with boots with more support. My experience is that the new balance 800 series has gotten lighter with better ventilation but unfortunately less durable over the years, the 801's that I started with lasted a lot longer (except for the toe cap) than more recent models. I tend to shred a pair in a year, usually, the fabric wears out from abrasion on the outboard side of the shoes, although the heel box lining does occasionally wear out (duct tape works fine for a long term repair). Generally at that point the soles are getting worn. The majority of my hiking is in the whites or in Maine and a lot of it is on rock.

I do not use gaiters during most 3 season weather. I wear zip off pants and usually just stuff the legs in my socks, so that tends to keep a lot of junk from getting in the shoe (It does look strange).

Merrell Mesa Ventilators, low-tops....I wear them 3-season almost exclusively.
no gaiters...if a pebble gets in my shoe I remove it
no gortex...for me gortex equals hot sweaty feet
extra socks if my feet get too wet
bandaids/moleskin for hotspots
Seems like a lot of people like Merrells... they've got an interesting "barefoot" style shoe coming out in 2011: http://www.runningandrambling.com/2010/06/merrell-goes-barefoot.html

So does New Balance: http://www.runningandrambling.com/2010/07/special-agent-minimus.html

That's also a cool trail running blog btw.

-Dr. Wu

it seems the only folks you see on the trails with foot issues are wearing leather boots

I think that's worth debating, but I'll add this instead: It may be stages of a curve; 1) You go for a couple short hikes wearing "whatever" 2) You decide you want to hike more and buy boots, because that's what you're "supposed" to do 3) You end up with plastics, leathers, synth boots, low cut hikers, etc...at this point it diverges, some will remain in the boots they are comfortable in and used to, others may seek to go faster, further and lighter.

Whatever works. Again, for me, I need to wear what fits and it's generally been easier to find boots that fit. Perhaps the New Balances I located recently will work out.

I wear Keen Oregon PCTs. Backpacker lists them as a full back packing shoe. It's true they look heavy and clunky, but everyone who picks one up gets a bewildered look on their face. These shoes use a cork insert and are no heaver than light hiking boots. They tend to be narrow in the heal and wide up front. The soles are not as sticky as my Aslo Fugitives with the Rubber Mac sole, but they do wear well.

Maybe I should add the Merrell Moab Ventilator (replacement for the Mesa) to the list. It's not Goretex (all the other 4 were) which means feet will get wet when you step in water, but they dry faster and get less wet from sweat. Billy was in the same boat as me - Crestas, sweaty feet... on to Merrells (in this case.)

For some reason I am still not gung-ho on the Inov-8s, but I will make the trip to Joe King in Concord some day soon to try some on. My fear, I think, is that they are just too minimal, and having had the knee problems, I'm leery.

Tim

Last edited:
If out for a day hike in most situations, I'll probably be in trail shoes.

That said, depending on destination, how I feel, what I have planned for that evening, next day (s), etc., may change that.

Washington & Jefferson, Huntington Ravine, Abraham (ME) & Katahdin, KRT & few other rocky places & Mahoosuc Notch would get me in a boot while some easier hikes I might actually do in sneakers. (have done Monadnock & Waumbek in running shoes when I did not feel like wearing boots)

If I had a weekend planned with three days of day hikes, I might opt for boots for some ankle support on the last day when steps might be a bit sloppy because I'm a bit sore or maybe on the first day because I'm hoping for support on day one because the hike I'm looking forward to is the next day & don't want to tweak an ankle. (historically ankles are my weak link due to several sport injuries.)

Narrow heel, wide toe box for women?

O.K., so my feet are shaped like bear paws. Shoe and boot manufacturers seem to think that women's feet taper to a point in front. I wear a full hiking boot, because I mostly hike solo and don't want to get stuck in the middle of the wilderness with a twisted ankle; but I am not very comfortable with my Asolo boots. Does anyone make a full hiking boot for women that doesn't crush the toes?

(For shorter, easier hikes I wear Crocs and my feet are very happy.)

Last edited:
O.K., so my feet are shaped like bear paws. Shoe and boot manufacturers seem to think that women's feet taper to a point in front. I wear a full hiking boot, because I mostly hike solo and don't want to get stuck in the middle of the wilderness with a twisted ankle; but I am not very comfortable with my Asolo boots. Does anyone make a full hiking boot for women that doesn't crush the toes?

"Shoe Lasts
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/information/product_information.asp?pageType=lasts
Shoe lasts are the wood or plastic forms a New Balance shoe is constructed around; they provide a unique fit and size profile for women, men, and kids.

WOL-01 = Narrow Heel Width, Standard Instep Height, Deep Toe Box Depth, Wide Forefoot Width"
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceWO1500GT.htm

You'll still need to order the correct size and width, which may involve some trial and error.

Take a look at this:http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Oregon-PCT/dp/B001AND31O

I wear Merrell Radius Mid Waterproof boots. I purchased these boots about a two years ago and they have been, by far, the best boots I have ever purchased. I've walked about 500 miles through various types of terrain. In addition, these boots are comfortable enough and provide enough support. They have yet to disappoint. They are not completely waterproof but a brief encounter crossing a stream or walking through a puddle will not result in wet or damp feet. If you're looking for a versatile boot that can handle a wide variety of conditions, this is it.

I do need a pair of new boots and my only complaint is the traction on the sole. I felt they slide too much.

Thanks to Ed and Chip for recommendations. I am reluctant to order boots online, without a chance to try them on; but will look for the suggested models locally and see if they work.