What's your opinion of "Hiker Dies/Gets Lost" threads ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do news links to hiking and climbing accidents belong here ?

• They all belong here since they're about our sport.

Votes: 83 69.2%
  • It only belongs here if it's local or involving a member.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • If the Mods don't delete it, it must be okay.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Most are not relevant and therefore inappropriate.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I can do my own Google searches, thankyouverymuch.

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Edit: But from the looks of the Poll so far, most here feel the links are relevant, so maybe it's just me.

The links are but the thread/discussion after the post of the link have become redundant and unproductive.

There are risks in everything we do. Driving is probably the the most dangerous for most of us. We don't look at and analyze driving accidents. Unless it is something very local, I don't see the relevance or the use.

Education? Things happen. There are people who take risks and people who don't. Many do stupid things but are lucky.

The one that is the hardest for me to understand is the 'hiker killed by bear." when it is not local.

Even with a cringe factor for how speculative and inane it can be, it still feels relevant. It can even still be educational. I was surprised at the consistent "train-wreck" nature of the threads (they all seem to go there), but even then, they seem to have evolved a little and are somewhat more productive as the board matures.

As for locality, I saw one this year that described a fatal avalanche out west. What I got out of it was that even highly trained skiers could get caught and that training and experience didn't save their lives (nor, unfortunately, could their friend). The example wasn't local, but could easily have applied to Tuck's. (The two Dodge's Drop climbers this season who suffered only a broken pinky were incredibly lucky!)

I also got value out of the Tuck's/Huntington's reports for this year, as they had very practical advice, including the raw, statistical reality of what can happen there.

People have a morbib curiosity wether they admit or not, espechally when it involves something they do. personally I dont think discussing these events does anything to prevent further events of this nature. Some people are just destined by nature to pay for mistakes they make in the mountains as they proboly do in regular life as well.

I think they belong, whether as new education or as a reminder. Sometimes the value isn't as obvious, like signs in a restaurant reminding employees to wash hands... they should all know that already, but some may need the reminder.

Sometimes the educational value is much more obvious, as in "I never thought of that before". There are people with varying levels of expertise reading here. We learn from our mistakes, but there are some we can't afford to make.

I buy an annual copy of "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" in the hope of learning something that may come in useful at some point in the future. I think posts about hiking and climbing accidents serve the same purpose. Occasionally the discussion does get to the point "bashing", but for the most part I think the discussions are useful - maybe not to everyone reading the posts, but I would bet someone is going to learn something. The person learning may even only be "Lurking", but the discussion has still served a useful purpose.

It's the same on the Woodwork'n group I read.

Someone gets their finger in the wrong place with spinning blades and thinks it's a lesson other people can learn from, complete w/pics.

Here it's like it's a race to see if you can be the first to post about a rescue/death in the mountains.

No I don't read either.

I agree these threads may become morbid or podiums for pontificating. But I do not believe that is intent of the original posts nor of most of the subsequent posts.

I believe the threads can provide valuable information about potentially dangerous hiking areas. Yes, most VFTT members already known that waterfalls and cliff areas are dangerous. But there are wide variances in the degrees of danger that may not be readily known by hikers from other areas of the northeast who might want to visit.

I did post photos in the Kaaterskill Falls thread (originally on another forum site) to answer a specific question about how bad (dangerous) the path was. The photos were already online from prior TRs and readily available in my Catskill rolodex. The Kaaterskill Falls is well known, but many non-Catskill hikers may be unaware of the trail situation. They may just assume that all of the trails/paths are maintained when they are not. The purpose of my photos was to show some of the potential danger. But also to indicate that this beautiful area can be safely and cautiously approached by experienced hikers if they understand what they are getting into.

I believe these threads can be useful.

Last edited:
If the posts are respectful and discussing ways in which to avoid the situation, then I think the thread is educational.

If the thread starts down the road of "what an idiot.." or "what were they thinking...", then I roll my eyes and don't visit the thread anymore.

I agree with all of this. Maybe if the mods just allowed the first post and then locked the thread, much like is done with the "lost piece of equipment" threads, this would be more beneficial.

I like 'em. My response is usually either "Well at least I'm not that stupid" or "Jeez, that could've been me!"

Also, the initial reports are often sketchy and/or inaccurate. Occasionally, someone on this board is able to actually add some key information or a true insight. For that I'm willing to put up with most of the repetitive noise.

We can all learn from the reports and the facts surrounding such incidents no matter how much or little experience we have.

What is totally useless and distracting from the educational benefit of the reports is the deluge of rumors, speculation and judgemental statements that often follow these reports. Those who provide this drivel teach us more about themselves than about safety in the back country.

I also always read them. Not to judge, more to empathize and hope for a happy outcome. It's especially intriguing when I've hiked in the area in question.

I read them to remind myself of the mistakes that could be made even by the most experienced of hikers.

Morbid curiosity? Check. See Accidents in North American Mountaineering, Vol. whatever they are up to now.

Learning? Check. The one big huge mondo takeaway point that I get from every thread is that SH*! HAPPENS! No matter how well prepared you think you are, no matter how superior you are sure you are, no matter what you are convinced differentiates you from the person in the article, it could be you. Plain and simple, sh*! happens. I don't think that point can get overstated enough, so in that regard, yes, the posts are relevant. However, it goes tightly hand-in-hand with being as prepared as possible* to deal with whatever does come down the trail.

Finally, I like to know what I might be facing tomorrow. Just because I haven't been called out yet doesn't mean I won't get to go in the morning!

*Yes, yes, of course we all define "prepared as possible" differently. Take it to mean whatever you want to/think you should carry.