Where do you get your gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you buy your gear most often?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm another vote for Campmor, but I'm a searcher of good deals online and haunting clearance racks. I've found some great deals on ebay...

I'll go to REI or EMS to check out an item and then try to find it cheaper online. 99% of the time, I do find it cheaper. Moosejaw, Sportsbasement, and Steepandcheap provided some deep discounted items I've purchased. Of course, I have to shop at REIOutlet.com to use up my dividend...

I like Campmor best
REI Outlet has good deals if you find your size.
EMS always has good end of winter deals in store.
LL Bean is like walking thru a candy store. And in the middle of the night no one even bumps into ya.
I think the help in outdoor stores is always substantially better than in regular retail stores. And the people are way more knowledgable and helpful.

Little Sister said:
But a good majority of my stuff comes from big sister MEB. What a bargain!!

Must be nice... all my big siblings ever gave me was a hard time. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all you fine VFTTers, I just made my first www.backcountry.com purchase, and managed to save $120. Woo hoo!
Thanks for all the great suggestions for websites to peruse, even if it has absolutely ruined my productivity for the next 3-4 days. :)

I didn't vote, because you can only vote for one. Like many others, I get gear from various places. I've bought plenty of stuff over at Poughkeepsie EMS and have also ordered much from Sierra Trading Post, Northern Mountain, Campmor, and other online places. I've ordered backpacking meals from Wilderness Dining.

I've also bought a fair amount from various local merchants. All other things being equal, I would probably only buy from them. The store T-max mentions, Catskill Hiking Shack, is very worthy of support. About a year and a half ago, I bought boots and a bunch of winter stuff there, crampons, snowshoes, etc.
It's kind of far for me, but I go there if I'm in the area. There is also Kenco, outside of Kingston, where I have bought a few things. Then of course here in New Paltz, there is Rock and Snow and New Paltz Outfitters.

All of these local places tend to be a bit more expensive than say, Campmor.
However, they do have sales and clearances, some offer 10% to New York/New Jersey Trail Conference members. I have also found that you can wheel and deal with small business owners and sometimes get a better price. Most people would rather sell a piece for a little less than not sell it. Sometimes local merchants will throw in a little something extra if you make a big purchase. The thing is, if they own the store, they can make, bend and break their own rules. I have sometimes just flat out told a small business owner, "I'd rather support you, but XXXXXX has this piece for $XX less." They will often either match, or come close to, the other price.

It's also nice to support people you know as members of your community. For instance, Rich Gottlieb of Rock and Snow is a good guy who contributes to the Mohonk Preserve, and is generally worthy of support. Our local EMS, while a big-box place, does also give gear to Mohonk Preserve. I also like the people who work there. As T-max states, Susan of the Catskill Hiking Shack is very knowledgable and helpful. It's great to go to these places and chat about backcountry stuff, joke around, etc. Something you don't get clicking a mouse...

Interesting about Lawn Sale's approach, BTW. Outfitting yourself this way must take some effort, but I'll bet it saves mucho dinero. I have also bought a few items from my local Salvation Army. I also picked up several good buys at Rock and Snow's gear swap last fall.

One other place I get little stuff like maps and books-Mohonk Preserve Visitors Center, where I get 10% as a Preserve member.

Matt

Last edited:
I am partial to EMS, mostly because they are local and seem to have the best sales. BTW, there is another 20% off weekend coming up at the end of April (I believe 28-30th) Anyhow, I was in store the other night and noticed that they have added a few new product lines such as Osprey packs and a beefed up Mountain Hardwear line. Glad to see they are growing a bit.

O yeah - love the "no questions asked" returns policy too. I know Campmor is not as generous.

Last edited:
Jasonst said:
.... mostly because they are local ....
This is somewhat important to me. I don't purchase gear over the net, because I want to support my local stores.

I like being able to try things on.. to pull and tug at them.. to jump on them..

I like talking to the salesman... who may direct me to another salesman who has been using the same product for some time, and I can ask his advice. I like talking to the store's repair shop people, to ask them what kind of problems they see with a product.

You don't get that knid of stuff on-line It's worth it to me, to pay a bit more in order to ensure that the local store will live long and prosper.

Also... local to me, is not just around where I live. It is also around where I hike.

giggy said:
anyway I can find the best deal

ebay
hiltons tent city
ems/rei (sales only)
moosejaw
ragges mt equip
IME downstairs used gear shop.
north face outlets sometimes.

I usually have a something in mind and look for the best deal.

I'm with giggy.

Always looking for the best deal.

Gear stores

I'll add Hermit's Hut (good website) in Redding, CA to the bunch. Best place to buy Western Mounatineering sleeping bags--most of them come with overfill.

Wow! I am enjoying this thread.
My four favorite gear resellers are:

Only the lightest - www.hikelight.com

Dancing Light Gear - trailquest.net/store.html

Anti Gravity Gear - www.antigravitygear.com/

- and last but not least -

Fanatic Fringe - www.fanaticfringe.com
I have had extremely good service from these four resellers. Extraordinary, indeed.

Honorable Mentions go to : Gossamer Gear and Backpacking Light.

I shop at EMS. It's very local and I have a special bond with them ;)
But I love to stop at smaller local shops when I'm travelling somewhere and maybe get a little something there.

Pete_Hickey said:
This is somewhat important to me. I don't purchase gear over the net, because I want to support my local stores.

I like being able to try things on.. to pull and tug at them.. to jump on them..

I like talking to the salesman... who may direct me to another salesman who has been using the same product for some time, and I can ask his advice. I like talking to the store's repair shop people, to ask them what kind of problems they see with a product.

You don't get that knid of stuff on-line It's worth it to me, to pay a bit more in order to ensure that the local store will live long and prosper.

Also... local to me, is not just around where I live. It is also around where I hike.

For me, personally, I would love to support my "local store" if I had one. Years of living in Brooklyn and now in Valhalla, NY, the only local store was/is EMS. And now, well, it's not that local.

Besides, if I got the sense that they cared whether or not I supported them...Well, I don't think it would make a difference.

I do buy some things from EMS and I have from Campmor the one time I went there, but the problem I have found is that they don't sell the gear I want to use. If I subscribed to the "local store" mindset, I would probably end up buying what all the "market merchants" want me to buy. Not necessarliy what is good or useful, but what I am told is good and useful. i.e. I would probably have ended up with a $250.00 Goretex rain jacket when I could have bought a $20.00 3M Propore ultralight and super breathable totally waterproof rain jacket that weighs a very small fraction of what the Goretex jacket weighs.

Uh Oh my soap box is creaking again .... :eek:

In my previous post I listed 4 on-line merchants. Three of whom, in their most enterprising and entrepreneurial manner design, develop and test gear that BIG Companies wouldn't dream of. They are small enough to cater for custom requests sometimes and smart enough to invent, modify, and sell gear that is largely outside of the mainstream for those of us who are not happy with what the BIG companies try to convince us is what we NEED or MUST HAVE. :mad:

Oh, and the next time I mention 3M Propore to a salesperson and my reply is a blank stare......well?

Now, if my local store really cared about what my needs were, I would be happy to support them. However, they can , for the most part, take their labor day sales, their 20% percent off's, the marketing hype and millions of dollars spent in advertising which translates into overpriced items in their 20% still overpriced bargain bins and , well, not have me a s a big spender customer. :eek:

Uh Oh, my soap box is beginning to splinter......... :D

Then again, I have my MSR Snowshoes from Moosejaw, My Golite pack (which by the way, if anybody has noticed should now be called Go-Heavy) from Prolite Gear and My Katoolah Crampons from Backcountry.com.

I also have my Tacoma light tarp from Dancing light gear, my Dri ducks rainwear from Gossamer gear and my pot-cozy's from Anti-gravity gear.

Hey, has anybody seen my soapbox? It was here a minute ago... :)

Alas, to each his own as long as you get out and have fun.

Zer0-G

Some basic stuff (polypro, socks, fleece) I'll get from EMS or REI. Most other gear I go to an mountaineering store (i.e. All Outdoors in Manch Angeles). I trust the opinions of some of those employees, and I am often sold a less expensive piece of gear after talking to them. Seems when I go to EMS, I've been tried to talked into buying more.

I don't generally like the brands that an EMS carries, but as mentioned with some things I find their quality OK.

I pretty much shop at Campmor (also local to me) or my local EMS clearance rack for gear, because I want to see it/feel it.
But for hiking clothing I will do most of my shopping online looking for the best deals from REI-outlet.com, Sierra Trading Post, or Campmor.