Which is Worse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fortunate to live within an hour of Baxter Park and parts of the 100 mile wilderness, and 90 minutes from Greenville. If I want to change the scenery though, I have to put in the mileage. 3 hours to the mountians in western Maine, and 4 hours to the Whites. I'm figuring the Daks are probably 9 hours or so. I don't have anything really close in a pinch though. So if I want a quick work out, I ride my road bike.

I hear you, Pocahontas!

I’ve been fiddling with some numbers recently and was amazed to find that in the last few years I’ve driven over 25,000 miles to hike about 850. I have no regrets about the latter but admittedly am less than happy with the former. On one hand, hiking closer to home is gathering more and more appeal. On the other, I hear there are some fine peaks on the other side of the Hudson. Unfinished business up north, new opportunities to the west and the price of gas will determine where I spend my time in the future. Savoring those hours in the woods, whether steep or flat, are all that matter in the end if that is where you want to be.

Like John and Poch, i'm 3-4 hours from the Whites. I'm also 3-4 from the Adk's and am hoping to hitch up and do a few trips there this season. I've done a lot of day trips driving up, hiking and returning a fair amount but the driving is getting to me so i plan on increasing the amount of overnite and packing i do this season.

I'm between 1 and 1.5 hours form the AT in mass and will probably do a bit more there this season.

But like John said.... flat or hilly it's still a special place to be!!

I drive a 2001 Mazda Protégé and I have already put 100,000 miles on it by driving from CT to NH. After working all week, we get into the car on Friday night and head north. Whatever frustrations or anxieties we accrued during the week begins to slowly slip away as we drive through Massachusetts and Vermont. Once we enter NH, we become different people as we travel alone the back roads heading to our little place in the woods. Although we might not hike every weekend, we can at least enjoy the beauty of the White Mountains and appreciate what we have been given.

Which is worse?
Being unhappy, that's worse.

I live in the "woods", and only a short drive to the Whites. Definitely a sacrifice financially, but I'd be miserable living anywhere "civilized." (Actually, I'm upset by the Wal-Mart 1/2 hour from my house...YUK!) Whatever it takes to make your life work for you...your own personal balance. If I need a city fix...I drive (which is rare). I can get my mountain fix everyday...that's what keep me (almost) sane.

I live on Long Island and when I hike I get up at 4am and drive for 2.5 hours hike for 7-8 sometimes if I am ambitious 9 hours depending on season and light and then drive 3.5 hours back the same day. I try to minimize the time away from my family.
I think it is worse because my family and friends dont hike and it is a long and lonely drive.
The solo hiknig I do not mind as much.
As my children grow they will be more able to hike with me for longer distances which I wait for wtih great anticipation.

I would like to move north of NYC and cut my travle time to the mountains in half and still work where I do now.
If only I could pull my wife away from her family
I hike as often as I can and that will have to do for now.
I think it would be a greater detriment to my psyche if I had to look at the mountains every day and not be able to hike.
That is only a guess.
Al

I think I live in a great area for hiking. I have a little of everything. I live in the Kittatinny mountains. Of course not much of mountains but if I want to get a climb in I at least have it. If I want to get to bigger mountains I can go to the Catskills 1.5 hours away. I also I have some great lakes and rivers close by as well as good mt and road biking. We even get a decent amount of snow, enough to ski from Dec through March. If I want to go to the city that is even close by. Of course I hate the city. The best part is there are plenty of Jobs.

To answer your question I would much rather live in the mountains. I hate the flatlands to boring for me. When I bought my house the most important factor for me was what is the closet State Park. I now live 5 minutes from a State Park as well as a State forest and 15 mnutes to a National Park -DWG. Does not get much better than that.

You need to cut your hours back at work. It is more important to do what you love. Work will alway be there.

I live across the river from the Catskills and can drive to most trails in 1/2 -1 hour. I love being able to see the mountains when I can't go hiking. I hiked up Slide this past October and it snowed and it was so beautiful and I could just look at the snow on the mountains and be transported.

What's worse? Good question, I'd say what's worse is not enjoying the time you have. For me that means I take advantage of rail trails & state parks in CT. The rail trail is more of a social walk which I jog from time to time thru an open marsh while the state park has a waterfall & some brook or river walking mixed in on a 2 mile loop.

If I have an 1/2 a day free, I'll drive to Mondnock, Wachusetts, or Taconic area for a sunrise or sunset. (maybe a waterfall, but with a view from the top - feee site pun) If I have a whole day I head to the Whites. If I go up the day before I'll squeeze in a short trip up Artist Bluff, Bald Peak, Indian Head, Martha, Willard or other peak I would not drive all day to do. (If you are thru F. Notch Everyday a few minutes on Bald Peak in the Notch would give you a moment of reflection.)

If business takes me to upstate NY or ME, If I can I get a free day for ADK's or BSP. If only 1/2 day or on the way home someplace quick in the Catskills.

If the wife & kids are at the beach & I can't be there, then I'm drving all sorts of places. One week in July looks like Possible NY business until Friday 12:00 then Cascade before dark, a day trip in ADK for Saturday & likely Isolation on Sunday in NH before work on Monday in CT. (better get a rental with good gas mileage for this one.):D

To Be or Not to Be

You lucky stiff- quit your complaining. You're got work that lets you live in the mountains of NH! I live in NYC- no Mountains and little time to hike. At least you're got a view during your commute.